• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX IN STOCK AT BUFFALO ARMS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed out at Buff Arms but managed 10 pounds of 3F from Grafs. Delivered just an hour ago by UPS. With what I had on hand should be good for a couple of years I could use a pound or so in 2F. Anybody local in RI/Mass/Ct want to swap 2 for 3 ?

There are some dealers who do not ship, but sell powder at events. The Regimental Quartermaster from Gettysburg comes to mind as an example. I'm on their email list and they sent a notice recently about having Schuetzen powder and caps in stock. For those who have been unable to order powder, look for reenactments within your travel radius. A lot of these have a "Sutler's Row," for shops to set up and sell goods to the participants and the general public who attend the events. You might have to ask who has powder, and you should expect some limits on the amount you can buy, but this may be an option for some folks on this forum. Some events have been cancelled or scaled back due to the pandemic, but there are a few happening. It's worth checking.

I'm 67 years old and retired. My age-mates in the shooting sports frequently talk about promoting youth involvement. I would submit that "the youth," meaning children and adolescents, do what their parents allow or encourage them to do. It's the parents, younger adults, whom we need to get involved. If they have kids, they'll bring the kids with them. We've had several thirty-something participants in this discussion, and rather than encouraging and attracting them to blackpowder shooting, we have offended them. As was stated earlier, how could one have planned for a powder shortage if he's just now getting started?

We've seen powder and ammunition shortages before. The supply is like the stock market... It goes down, and it comes back up. Hodgdon is hoping to sell the GOEX facility, not destroy it, and pass the baton to some other corporation to pick up and start the plant to making powder again.

If we each have enough powder to get us through a year or two, hopefully we will leave some available for the new shooters. If you know of an event where powder will be sold, that might be something to announce on the forum. If you are new to the game, search for living history events, battle reenactments, and shooting matches in your area. You might be able to score a pound or two of powder. If not, you'll probably still make some contacts in the black powder world. A lot of old forts and historic sites, administered by state or national park services, host events that include shooting demonstrations. Somebody at one of those places or events may be able to facilitate getting some of the powder you need.

Meanwhile, I think we need to wait this shortage out, as we've done before. I think we are likely to see powder for sale again, in due time.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Good idea for Living History events:
Set up a tent and explain to the young ones how our forefathers made powder....make a workshop out of it. I would attend that class!

I have seen demonstrations in:
Forging
Ball casting
Knife sharpening
Shooting
Knife/hawk throwing
Tanning

.....time to get back to the Basics 101
Nothing like Hands On Training

While I like Notchy Bob's suggestion about attending and event and talking to reenactors, my experience in the last few years is that reenactors have zero interest in getting new people into the hobby or having people join their unit. I have flat out asked how to join up and basically was told it was too hard for join. Zero encouragement. The only reenactor in the last 10 years that was excited to talk to me was a lone Span-Am war guy. I think he was just happy someone was talking to him.

Civil War groups on west coast usually are pretty egar for newbies but they are No Where near as serious as those I have seen on the east coast. However our local one here has pretty much cut their face off despite their nose; no more Confederates where public view is concerned. They only had a few when I joined before the pandemic, this last year they were down to just three of us, I dropped out as did the Confederate leader when we were told "Civilian clothes only and no flag" - another quit over some squabble he had with Yank. So now there is one....and No local events, he has to go across state lines to go BOOM while wearing the gray.

While I like Notchy Bob's suggestion about attending and event and talking to reenactors, my experience in the last few years is that reenactors have zero interest in getting new people into the hobby or having people join their unit. I have flat out asked how to join up and basically was told it was too hard for join. Zero encouragement. The only reenactor in the last 10 years that was excited to talk to me was a lone Span-Am war guy. I think he was just happy someone was talking to him.

If you'd like to do flintlocks instead of ACW...,
IF you'd like to work with professionals "on the field", but regular laid back folks when not...,
IF you'd like to play the "bad guys" because it's fun sometimes to be the bad guys...,
You might want to look into doing Redcoat, in fact the 1st New Jersey Loyalists are a growing unit of men an women of all ages.

LD

I hope somebody will let us know when Buffalo Arms has more powder in stock.

Notchy Bob
I placed a back order for some 2FG they have been excellent in the past two years as to when it will be in stock. Coincidentally I back ordered a case last September as I did this September before the stuff hit the fan they told me End of October. I may be wrong but I heard somewhere they are the biggest supplier before any of this happened with Goex. Do yourself a favor and call them and place a back order. They don’t charge your credit card until your merchandise ships and yes they will notify you. Under the circumstances I would no rely on the back in stock notifications you can sign up for. Simply that is first come first served so you can miss out. I’ve used that feature to order pistol primers from Midway who also offers the back in stock notifications but many times have missed the item I was hoping to purchase. So I would recommend going the back order route again no hold on credit card until product ships. Midway as example does no alow the back order of BP and they limit it.

That seems like an extreme outlier or one of those “I know a guy” type stories that make the rounds. This is a huge generalization you’re making and when people get on these kind of forums/communities and see this manure it’s a big reason no one wants to be around this type of group. I’m new to this community and relatively young (early 30s) and 1 out of every 5 posts on here is some old fart complaining that no young people want to get into the communities and events while at the same time talking trash on those younger generations (that the old guys raised by the way) and it gets annoying to read over and over.
All of us Old Guys need to be careful not to scare the younger generation away. Once in a while I read or see some old experience guy or gal talking down to a young person trying to get started with black powder and or muzzle loading!

Where are you located? Where are you meeting with these aloof reenacting units? What traditional muzzle loading gun clubs are you talking about?

I'll admit my frame of reference is small, but my gun club likes to reach out to younger people. We have had an extensive involvement with Boy Scouts only to see the Boy Scouts never follow up on interest. My reenactment unit goes to several no rendezvous events for the general public and we get very few inquiries about joining in. I watch for new members to the forum that live in the area and invite them to the range. We have had some success. Often we find family and work taking a rightfully higher priority than traditional muzzle loading.

Just placed an order for a 1,000 Magnum CCI #11 Precusion Caps from Natchez this morning, I over paid of course and really did not need them I guess but wanted to have something with a little more punch to experiment with synthetic powders As a just in case. Really I was lucky to find these I have been looking at them for almost two weeks on there web site and when there regular CCI’s #11 sold out i figured it was time.O Well….

Where are you located? Where are you meeting with these aloof reenacting units? What traditional muzzle loading gun clubs are you talking about?

I'll admit my frame of reference is small, but my gun club likes to reach out to younger people. We have had an extensive involvement with Boy Scouts only to see the Boy Scouts never follow up on interest. My reenactment unit goes to several no rendezvous events for the general public and we get very few inquiries about joining in. I watch for new members to the forum that live in the area and invite them to the range. We have had some success. Often we find family and work taking a rightfully higher priority than traditional muzzle loading.

G1758,

I am in Michigan and they all have been Michigan based events.....but to be clear none were at a ML club. I wish I could find one but any that I know about are an hour away or more.

The reenactments were either timeline events with multiple eras represented or F&I specific. The last interaction about killed my interest in reenacting. The group reenacts a unit raised in my home county...I was born in Boston....some original members were from my home town. The guy who runs/ran it seems to be a known guy in the hobby. I asked how I could get involved. I was told it was too difficult. Maybe they just don't want an old guy to join. :dunno: I'm 60 but always get mistaken for much younger and I still pack up and fight fire with the kids so I can hang at a reenactment.

"shrug" At this point I'll probably just do Cowboy shooting and the Historic Military Shooting that is a sub group of that.

Ah, once again a call to establish an Invalid Company so us more mature reenactors can continue to reenact.

???? Not sure I understand? Are you saying it was due to my age? I get mistaken for early 40's often and this was several years ago. If we are being accurate, a Mass. militia unit would certainly have had 40year old guys in it. I was certainly in better shape than a number of them.

It's their thing so they can do anything they want except complain about no one being interested.

No, I can't speak for that reenactment group, but I do have to admit that I am aging and I am much older than an active Grenadier. We have sons and grandsons of members in our unit. You wouldn't be too old for us. We do represent a British unit during the French and Indian War. Our problem is that many with a modest interest in reenacting don't want to wear the red uniform. It was the British Regular Army that defeated the French and opened the lands west of the Appalachian Mountains to the colonial settlers. Not only that the British taught the colonial militias how to become a real army.

I had the note on the door Monday from Grafs, we weren't home. Tuesday the Boss was working from home and I asked her if when FedEx stopped to deliver to Please answer the door and sign for it. He knocked, she answered, he says since I deliver here all the time could he just sign for it? She says yes, by all means, it saves us and him time.
That being settled, not much more powder to be found.

Notchy Bob, I don't want to grow up but I do want to grow as old as Dale I'm only 77.
Dale I hope you live to be an old man and not the young man you are now.

Latest posts

Back