• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX IN STOCK AT BUFFALO ARMS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fortunate to have Buffalo Arms Co. in my Backyard, i am in that place about as much as i am at Home :) I recently decided to start Buying Powder by the Case, a decision i am glad i made, plus itā€™s Cheaper to buy it that wayšŸ‘

I was down to 2# of both 2 and 3, I ordered 10#, 5 of each to get me over the hump so to speak.

Crater ~ Fireworks, Blasting & Black Powder
Home/Office 815-542-6287

In Mineral Illinois has it, no on line ordering and they don't pay hazmat or shipping so you can just about double the price to your door, at least on 10#. You have to call to order, I found them to be very nice folk.

I was down to 2# of both 2 and 3, I ordered 10#, 5 of each to get me over the hump so to speak.

Crater ~ Fireworks, Blasting & Black Powder
Home/Office 815-542-6287

In Mineral Illinois has it, no on line ordering and they don't pay hazmat or shipping so you can just about double the price to your door, at least on 10#. You have to call to order, I found them to be very nice folk.
Yep. Seem like good people. Shipping and HAZMAT is around $73, so a small order is a bit high per pound.

Back a good number of years ago in the modern firearms there was a mass shortage of everything, and I got caught with my pants down. After it eased up and there was a decent supply again, I sat down and figured what I would need at the rate I was shooting per month to give me a 4 year supply, modern and muzzle loading. I worked at it and got it there, and maintained that supply as I used it, I do not call it hoarding, I call it planning;). As the future shortages came about and prices started to rise due to the hostile atmosphere about guns, I suggested to many of my friends that they, if possible do the same, especially on muzzleloading as there was a decent supply where ever you looked. I was laughed at, and told there would never be a shortage of muzzle loading components. Well low and behold, here we are and those same people are now crying like babies, and accusing me of hoarding and wanting me to help them out. For the people calling it hoarding , I am sorry you missed the boat.

I'm not sorry for those that "miss the boat". We all have opportunities to stock up on what is needed. We just tripled our pantry space and I moved and enlarged my powder magazine to a safer place than in the shop inside the house.
What part of the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" is not being understood? My household can be pretty much cut off from the rest of society and we'll be fine. As a man, I like that feeling. The wife appreciates the effort too and "gets it".

wm

Yes, but you also need to take state and local statutes into consideration. How many pounds of black powder or caps does your state or municipality allow a person to have? What are the penalties for exceeding that? If your house, shed or barn burns down, is your insurance going to reject your claim based on that?
You can't just make a gut decision and run with the ball (hoarding) based on what you think you want or need.

You betcha. I'm pro-choice.

wm
People will do what they're gonna do. Sounds like you've already made your decision, that's fine! All I'm suggesting is for folks who may not know "for sure" to check local and state ordinances before stuffing their shelves full of powder that could get them into a heap of trouble. That's all.

People will do what they're gonna do. Sounds like you've already made your decision, that's fine! All I'm suggesting is for folks who may not know "for sure" to check local and state ordinances before stuffing their shelves full of powder that could get them into a heap of trouble. That's all.
Who said I was "stuffing their shelves full of powder that could get them into a heap of trouble"? I didn't make that statement. If you're going to correct someone, be sure they're in the wrong first. It's the proper way to discuss things...not make assumptions, mmm-kay?

wm

Back a good number of years ago in the modern firearms there was a mass shortage of everything, and I got caught with my pants down. After it eased up and there was a decent supply again, I sat down and figured what I would need at the rate I was shooting per month to give me a 4 year supply, modern and muzzle loading. I worked at it and got it there, and maintained that supply as I used it, I do not call it hoarding, I call it planning;). As the future shortages came about and prices started to rise due to the hostile atmosphere about guns, I suggested to many of my friends that they, if possible do the same, especially on muzzleloading as there was a decent supply where ever you looked. I was laughed at, and told there would never be a shortage of muzzle loading components. Well low and behold, here we are and those same people are now crying like babies, and accusing me of hoarding and wanting me to help them out. For the people calling it hoarding , I am sorry you missed the boat.
Your Situation mirrors my own. Like the bomb shelter episode from the twilight zone.

And thats how I ended up with many years worth of powder. A little extra every time you get out the checkbook. Just by topping off the pantry when you go to the store for other things.
This is going down the same path as caps last year. Panic buyers cant find any, but those who picked up a tin or two every time they stopped at a mom & pop shop for bait are set because they planned ahead. Other powder companies will see this as an opportunity to double up on production to fill the void.
Give it 6 months and I'm sure the panic will switch back to searching for caps again. Especially when powder from other plants refill the market. Guys who buy a case of powder to avoid living through this nightmare again will realize they want to stock up on 3 cases of caps for the powder. Then you start the panic all over again. Hint- pick up a few tins now and avoid the rush.
And while you are planning ahead, pick away at acquiring two or three hundred pounds of lead, NOW. Spend some down time cleaning it and pouring it into ingots and sit on it. All it takes is one government proposal to ban lead sales and the panic to buy it up will triple the prices in one weeks time. You'll wish you had.
It's just plain planning ahead.
Exactly! Thank You!

I'm not sorry for those that "miss the boat". We all have opportunities to stock up on what is needed. We just tripled our pantry space and I moved and enlarged my powder magazine to a safer place than in the shop inside the house.
What part of the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" is not being understood? My household can be pretty much cut off from the rest of society and we'll be fine. As a man, I like that feeling. The wife appreciates the effort too and "gets it".

wm
Be prepared is a very good motto !

One assumes folks here know their state/county/city laws on black powder storage. The feds limit is 50 pounds on a domicile premises.
As Iā€™m never below 4 to 5 pounds ordering 50 is not feasible, me being a law abiding citizen and all.

Sorry I wasn't being critical, I know it wouldn't detonate, but !@#$ happens as they say, and I'd rather 5lb go off and replace the garage, then 50lb which would probably blow up the entire house haha. I'm new to the hobby and I'm still really scared to even be around the stuff when the container is open.

Wish you well šŸ˜€
Black powder does not ā€œ detonate ā€œ in a fire unless it is confined in a very strong container that will not rupture easily such as military ammo cans, concrete boxes that are full, etc. lightly constructed plywood enclosures are good. Containers that break open or rupture easily make a ā€œ WHOOSH ā€œ. Strong, heavily constructed containers go ā€œ KABOOM ā€œ. You want the ā€œ WHOOSH ā€œ.
The car in your garage with a full tank of gas is potentially more destructive in a fire than a large amount of any kind of gunpowder, if the gunpowder is stored properly. So is the aforementioned propane tank close to your house or shop.

Back