• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex FFFG and FFG Equivalency Ratio(s) in loading 56 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 54436

32 Cal
Reaction score
Quick question regarding GOEX Black Powder...I have a few pounds of Goex fffg, and no FFG..I wish to use the triple-F but not sure what the equivalency would be, as I believe the triple-f is hotter. .So if if I was using 30grains of FF what would be the equivilant in fff..This sounds much more complicated than it is in writing !!!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure myself, but I do remember reading some threads that they used about 20% less. I might be wrong so maybe some others will chime in.

Quick question regarding GOEX Black Powder...I have a few pounds of Goex fffg, and no FFG..I wish to use the triple-F but not sure what the equivalency would be, as I believe the triple-f is hotter. .So if if I was using 30grains of FF what would be the equivilant in fff..This sounds much more complicated than it is in writing !!!!
I don't think there are any hard and fast numbers to stick with, but what I'm finding folks start around 10-15 % less and work up or down from there. I just got my order of swiss 3f in and will be starting at 40 grains for my Lyman 50 caliber for paper punching as a starting point.

As your title was for a specific bpcr caliber, I suspect that is why no answer was given. This site is for traditional muzzleloading. The sister site “Modern Muzzleloader” has an area for bpcr, as do a few others. There are loading and pressure curve differences so the answer is not as generalized as one would think.
Good luck sir.
Walk

I must be brain dead this AM. Adjustment of a charge relative to the granulation of the powder is certainly a muzzleloader question.
No, the original question has been edited. It did reference the use of 3Fg vs 2Fg and charge amounts when reloading a certain BP cartridge round.

I don't think there are any hard and fast numbers to stick with, but what I'm finding folks start around 10-15 % less and work up or down from there. I just got my order of swiss 3f in and will be starting at 40 grains for my Lyman 50 caliber for paper punching as a starting point.
Bet you’ll find the lower quantity of Swiss still packs a punch. Was surprised the first time I got my hands some.

56 cal is the tc smoothbore caliber. But if using 30gr of 2f and want same basic charge of 3f, use 25 gr.

Very lite load for that gun. But say in a 50 cal roundball, 75 gr 3f is 90 gr 2f would be good load for accuracy in most and hunting.

Back