• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX Clear shot powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two unopened cans of this GOEX Clear Shot powder I have had stored for a while. This was GOEX's intro at a substitute powder. I acquired a crockett rifle late fall and want to start sighting it in when things warm up and I may use this powder. Has any listmember used this Clear Shot powder and how did it perform in your gun ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• goex.JPG
    goex.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
It appears they only produced clear shot for a year before the plant had a fire with a fatality so they stopped production. Googling it and reading other people's thoughts I guess it's not very good in humidity. If the can is sealed just shoot it I'm sure it will go bang.

I still have about 1/2 lb left from my one and only purchase of Clear shot. I used it in an 1842 Springfield and was not impressed. Ignition is good in a cap lock but not much power, especially compared with “good ole black.” About the only positive was it does clean up well.

I've got a couple of pounds, 2 & 3 f. I used some in an 84 trapdoor. .45-70 with a 340 grain bullet and 48 grains of 3f. It shot well and was easy to clean. I didn't chrono the loads and had no interest in doing so. I have a RM 1851 Navy conversion and a 66 Uberti, both in .38 special and I'm thinking that I'll burn some of it up in them. If it were still on the market and a little cheaper than black I would consider using it in some of my unmentionables.

I have two unopened cans of this GOEX Clear Shot powder I have had stored for a while. This was GOEX's intro at a substitute powder. I acquired a crockett rifle late fall and want to start sighting it in when things warm up and I may use this powder. Has any listmember used this Clear Shot powder and how did it perform in your gun ??
Ohio Rusty ><>
Would you consider selling your Clear Shot? I have an original nickel plated S&W 44 Russian Double Action first model and I can't bring myself to shoot corrosive black powder in this nice nickel plated gun. Let me know. Thanks, Steve Smith [email protected]

Had to do a search on it and Clear Shot was indeed sugar based. One of the explosions was at the plant that was making it and one person was killed. They shut the production down after that. Couldn’t find the date, but it was years ago. Also, the fructose based Clear Shot suffered from high moisture retention.

Last edited:
Tried a few cans when I was shooting SASS. Worked ok when the container was first opened, but once opened in degraded quickly in NC humidity. Quickly lost nearly 40% of velocity based on chronograph…. But it cleaned up nicely. Tried storing with a desiccant pack in the container, but made little difference. Would think if you could store it properly once opened, performance shouldn’t degrade much.

With two unopened containers, I would just plan on shooting up each can once open. Not like you can develop a load and then get more.

I only tried it in percussion guns. Guessing you would need a 10-15 grain booster charge of real blackpowder under it if you were using it in a flintlock.

Has any list member used this Clear Shot powder and how did it perform in your gun ??
If you really have some of that stuff left, take it outside to fertilize the wife's flower garden.
Don't waste your caps trying any load development that will matter to your rifles accuracy, it's obsolete and way past any viable use.
Had to do a search on it and Clear Shot was indeed sugar based.
Fructose is different then sugar,, there is a long (and old) story of these types of powder,, look up American Pioneer vs Hodgdon for the basis and then the attempted replicas involved,, Clear Shot was the Goex attempt at that market at that time.
Basically the law suits made all the players change the names and formula of the new and improved powders available today

I doubt if I will dump that powder. We'll try some loads in the .32 to see how it performs. Being it has never been opened hopefully it will work OK. I can't find any information about that powder degrading in a few years to where it is useless.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I don’t like the sound of the Military/Government having funds in backing Estes/Goex in the BP company the Government already wants to strip us of our Gun Rights now why would they give us a product to facilitate our guns going Bang, I don’t like it at all I hate big government when there involved nothing is good.:mad:

Back