• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GOEX Cartridge Grade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4575wcf

40 Cal
Reaction score
HI All
My best bud encountered some Goex cartridge grade BP at a gun show, and picked up several cans. We both have cartridge rifles, but how about using this stuff in other BP weapons. Does it work? And how well?

Works fine I’ve used just like 2fg and found it to be close to the same.
Cartridge Grade is great powder and I used it in 45/60 and 45/70 with excellent result until it became unavailable. Some claim it was basically FF with the fines screened out. I worked for over a year trying to find a acceptable replacement that provided the same accuracy and finally discovered Swiss 1.5 F.

I've used GOEX and other brands of 3F in 45-70and 45-100 with good results. Decent hunting accuracy at least. I'm not a target shooter any longer but I used to shoot the 45-100 at ranges over 600 yards with 3F and 500 grn cast bullets with a gas check and did ok. Never have used 2F but maybe I'll try some out now seeing as I have a couple of pounds of it.

An older gentleman gifted me some BP quite a while ago and there were two cans of Goex Cartridge powder. I used both cans in a .45 Hawken and a 54 Renegade and it was excellent powder and grouped nearly Identically to the 2F Olde Eynsford that I usually shoot in them. I tell all my friends that if they find any old cans of Goex to let me know and I get regular calls to pick it up for free. Old Free Powder always shoots pretty good !

Great information guys. I will turn the bud loose. He shoots a Zouave .58 that is not the highest quality gun that was ever made, but outside of a puny mainspring, it seems to shoot okay.

Like others, I have a supply and use it for my BPCR’s. I have used it in my muzzleloaders and it works fine, being very close to 2F in granulation and performance.

Back