• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex Can Change

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed on the newest Goex cans that one of the changes was that the dates were changed from 1912 to 1802 I think. Any ideas why?? :idunno:

Gearhard Owens Explosives( GOEX) bought out the DuPont powder company many years ago. I am sure someone will come on and tell us when. I was still buying DuPont powder when I began shooting BP guns of my own in the late 1970s. For one year, the powder available at Friendship came in orange cans, with black lettering, and marked Gearhart Owens. Then, the company adopted the red and white colors of the DuPont company, and changed the name to "GOEX".

Since Goex is the successor company to the DuPont name, I am not surprised that they want to claim the earlier date, as the factory, in one name or another, has been in continuous production since the earlier date. I think the shareholders should be proud of that fact. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I just noticed the date change on the cans myself today, when I pulled out one of my old cans. Never noticed it before. I was going to ask the same question, but I did a search first and found this thread.

I did a little digging and I can see the reasoning for Goex taking the date back to 1802. But Goex only purchased DuPont in the 1970s. So my next question was, why did the cans say 1912 for the longest time? Then I did some more digging and found this little bit of history:

http://www.laflinandrand.com/madmonk/history.pdf

So now I know what the '1912' referred to.

And if you're interested, this link has lots more historical info about DuPont and good technical stuff by the Mad Monk:

http://www.laflinandrand.com/page2.html

At that link, Part 1 of the Mad Monk's 9-part series on black powder requires an email address, but the rest do not.

Anyway, I didn't find any other threads that explained the dates on the cans, so I just thought I'd post this here for anyone else who may be wondering about it.

004-1.jpg

Gee, they also took the chilli pepper off of the can too. Look - right there hanging on the O in Goex. I always wondered if you were supposed to put black powder on the pepper or chilli on the black powder. Guess I'll never know now... :doh:

The new plastic containers don't have the chile pepper, I guess the powder isn't as hot as it used to be. :haha:

And all these years I thought that was a powder horn and not a chili pepper. Hey, I was blond as a kid, so sometimes I learn slow... :blah:

Lonegun1894 said:
And all these years I thought that was a powder horn and not a chili pepper. Hey, I was blond as a kid, so sometimes I learn slow... :blah:

It IS a powder horn! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :blah:

IS nothing sacred. I for years have searched for a screw on brass dispenser for a goex can and now it has gone the way of the buggy whip. I think My Wife has 4 or 5 cans left. I have to get my brother in law to drive out to Graffs in Mexico Mo and get me some before they are all gone and give them to my son who is away at college.

buttonbuck said:
IS nothing sacred. I for years have searched for a screw on brass dispenser for a goex can and now it has gone the way of the buggy whip. I think My Wife has 4 or 5 cans left. I have to get my brother in law to drive out to Graffs in Mexico Mo and get me some before they are all gone and give them to my son who is away at college.

TOW sells the screw on cap/dispenser, even one with a spring loaded shut off that works great for range shooting.
TOW Goex Can Dispenser

I plan to keep a few empty cans and just pour the powder into them from the plastic bottles. I still like tiin powder cans better than the new plastic ones.

I bought a can two weeks ago, and it was in the new plastic container.

Back