• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex buy online auction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen several online auctions with blackpower in them. I was a little worried about buying BP from an auction . I said what the heck when I found one that had 6 cans of Goex, 4 were 2F, 1 was 3F and 1 was 4F. .......I guess the powder and bags were from a personal collection from someone who was active in the Northern Free Trappers Club. ........

Illegal as ****.
In the USA, BP sales are though licensed individuals and businesses only. A person cannot just sell a few cans of powder, or transfer ownership in other ways to another without the federal licensing. Have caution. Someone may catch up with you.

Actually many sellers, regardless whether guns, tractors, prints, books, etc etc have no valid idea of what their items are worth. Some think it's worth a mint. Some undervalue. Many are too feckless to research. And unless their is significant trade in the item, past sales may not be reliable indicators. But, for discussion, let's assume the seller knows. Now he has to find someone who wants it at his price. Not every gun or related item is in high demand. And for various reasons the seller may be in a legitimate hurry to sell.
The auction is the easy way out. If you are worried about selling too cheap, some sales will let you set a reserve price.
There have been auctions since 500 BC. So they must serve valid purposes.
PS-At one point in retirement I worked part time at a huge auto auction. Was a lot of fun watching used car dealers trying to out weasel each other.
I don't have an issue with auctions in general, only auctions that net the seller 20 times what the item sold for new at retail.
A recent example was a tin of 100 Remington percussion caps on one of the more popular gun auction sites which was listed at starting bid of $49.99 and sold for quite a bit more. That fits "cheap and tawdry" in my book, and is driven by greed and fueled by a hungry and desperate audience.
Yes, you have the option of walking away. But highway robbery is, well...highway robbery, in my eyes. All it leads to is more of the same.

I don't have an issue with auctions in general, only auctions that net the seller 20 times what the item sold for new at retail.
A recent example was a tin of 100 Remington percussion caps on one of the more popular gun auction sites which was listed at starting bid of $49.99 and sold for quite a bit more. That fits "cheap and tawdry" in my book, and is driven by greed and fueled by a hungry and desperate audience.
Yes, you have the option of walking away. But highway robbery is, well...highway robbery, in my eyes. All it leads to is more of the same.
I've seen this plus the tins of CCI Musket caps for $70 each

I'm like, no one "needs" percussion caps. They are hobby items. If you need to hunt to survive by some chance that 50 bucks will still buy you 40 rounds of 30-06

The cap gouging was ridiculous 2 years ago when these idiots were trying to get $500 for 1000 CCI #11 caps

You can not tell someone else how much profit they can make. But markets can and will. Price gougers do not tend to get much repeat business. Maybe a gouger "scores" and sells a few thousand caps at $500/1000. Thing is, now he needs a new scam. A scammer once confided to me that that it was a stressful and difficult way to make money. I have ZERO sympathy for him, but having to come up with new scams all the time sounds harder than honest work.

You can not tell someone else how much profit they can make. But markets can and will. Price gougers do not tend to get much repeat business. Maybe a gouger "scores" and sells a few thousand caps at $500/1000. Thing is, now he needs a new scam. A scammer once confided to me that that it was a stressful and difficult way to make money. I have ZERO sympathy for him, but having to come up with new scams all the time sounds harder than honest work.
The scammers will get a few bites for $500 per 1000 caps because you'll always get the people with deeper pockets who just want to go shooting , willing to pay 50 cents for a percussion cap

Good find. Congratulations. Auctions can be really good - or a waste of time (online or in-person). One thing's certain - if you don't bid, you cannot win. There'll be more good stuff as boomers die off, bought by other boomers.

But when all of us Boomers are gone or too old to shoot our stuff will go for pennies on the dollar.
That $2000 Lancaster flint rifle and custom bag and knife you saved up for and bought? Will likely be sold for $200, and maybe shot half a dozen times if they can figure out how to get it to shoot, put in the closet dirty, or maybe hung up on the wall to quietly rust away.

Auctions...for basic gun supplies. That's what it's come to.
The seller knows what he paid and knows what it's worth. Selling to the highest bidder seems cheap and tawdry. Says a lot about a man's character.
Just my two cents and worth every penny.
It's only worth what someone will pay for it. too many people think everythin they have is worht $$$$. Wrong. It isn't. Its used, and it old, that does not make it worth a lot of $$. You used it and have already gotten your money's worth out of it. Setting exorbitantly high prices is just gouging. NO , it is not just business. Its your "character & self respect" you are selling. It's the same when you buy something form "an old lady" whose husband passed, and she does not know what she has & you offer her low ball prices thinking how clever you are. Are you? No, just one more low life, without integrity or honor, trying to get something for nothing.(IMHO)

I just don’t get it why percussion caps are selling for what they are. What the hell does the government have to do with percussion caps. They have no idea what’s going on. It’s just a cap dammit

I see lots of stuff sell at auctions that might be or is illegal. Bought lots of musket caps on line and they were shipped without a haz mat fee. Bought 100 ft of fuse same way. Bought black powder cartridges so cheap, I broke some of them down for the powder they contained Local auction routinely sells animal parts that are forbidden by state or federal law law. Saw a guy selling primitive arrows with "feathers from Canada Geese I shot last fall" Once passed an apartment complex and guys were dumping stuffed sea ducks next to the Dumpster.

But when all of us Boomers are gone or too old to shoot our stuff will go for pennies on the dollar.
That $2000 Lancaster flint rifle and custom bag and knife you saved up for and bought? Will likely be sold for $200, and maybe shot half a dozen times if they can figure out how to get it to shoot, put in the closet dirty, or maybe hung up on the wall to quietly rust away.
sad but true

Auctions are as fair as it gets.

Jeez Louise.

The starting price is irrelevant.

No one is forced to bid.

Penny starts, and ridiculous starts are ending up at about the same money.

That's a reflection of the buyer, not the seller.
I think "penny" starts are asinine because you know it is not going to sell for anything close to that. It just wastes everyone time(IMHO)

I just don’t get it why percussion caps are selling for what they are. What the hell does the government have to do with percussion caps. They have no idea what’s going on. It’s just a cap dammit

Perhaps like many other manufacturers, the cap makers are having a hard time getting good employees to show up for work every day, on time, and do their job.
This is mostly a problem with younger people, say under 35 years old who want $25 an hour for entry level jobs.
And there is still a lot of government handout money out there to be had for those who will not work.
I have relatives ( husband and wife ) that have three kids ages 15 down to about 9. The parents make something over $100,000 a year working. Good money for this area. The government sends them at least $1,000 a month for the kids. The parents did not apply for any financial assistance. Did not need or want it. The money just started showing up like clockwork.
Have not heard if refusing the payments is even an option. The parents are not the kind of people who would take any government hand-outs unless they were in pretty dire straits. I don’t think that is the case here.

That's a great score!
I used to see great deals all over back when I barely had money for food. Now that I have a little extra cash I never see those deals.

You don't own anything, you just borrow it until you die :)

Hopefully I won't leave behind any black powder because I plan to shoot every last grain even if they're wheeling me up in a gurney to cap 2 off per day.

Plus a collection of hopefully worn out firearms , all like "I guess Dad liked to shoot all these things are beat up "
Many cultures , Egyptians, Vikings Chinee, a
Anglo Saxonand others have thought to keep what they had , only to have it dug up later.

Buzz

Latest posts

Back