• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex, back in business

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see where that makes a difference being not one company making the unmentionable powder went out of business and you still cant get most powders.
Wow, where do you live? There's about 7 nitro powders I need and I can't find any.
the problems is 70-80 year old hoarders
Not really, what it is, is called "purchasing power". And your right, that is something gained with experience.
Your misconception is that only 70-80yr old's, have experience.
Thing is,, when yer out and everyone is grabbing,, and it becomes available at $25 a pound, "purchasing power" let's you spend $600+,, and you can still eat and pay the rent, and get the powder to your door next week.
Besides, maybe the 70-80yr olds want their kid's to have some too, after all it is an enjoyable family hobby,, who cares about the money,, can't take it with ya.

p.s. That earlier story about some fellers estate having 50 cases to dispose of,, is B.S. (period).
p.s.s I do know of one guy that had 5 cases,, his wife made him sell half of it when they moved,,
,, he wasn't old,, he had a silver spoon,, and a fetish.

Last edited:
look in the mirror
What I look like, or my age, has nothing to do with my buying habits. Let's not make this personal.

How many pounds of powder does one have to have to be a hoarder? How many caps? Be specific.

It's no different here than over on the shotgun forum where you puke the same drivel. You got left out expecting to walk into a store and find whatever you wanted on a shelf. Because that didn't happen you want to blame people that planned ahead.

Grow up, and get over yourself.

Last edited:
I drove from Richmond Kentucky to Winchester Virginia two years ago to get a few pounds of BP and still have plenty. Of course, the other part, percussion caps are just getting here and maybe still on the shelf. If you can afford to buy a years worth of fun, do it. Don't ask for permission, do it.

I think people buying more than they are going to use in a reasonable period of time is a solution to a problem, and also a cause of the same problem.
Define "reasonable period of time" please.

The real definition of "horder" is: Someone who has more then you and causes you to be envious.

There are a Lot of people here who has more of 'this' or more of 'that' then I do. Do I hold discontent against them? Do I think ill of them for it?
No.
I tip my hat to them for being better then I, then I search for how I can be better then I am. Not better then them, just better then I currently am.

look in the mirror
I am a handsome devil… and I don’t hoard. I do buy ahead of time and I have no problem with trying to maintain a reasonable inventory of the stuff I use in my hobbies. I’m not responsible for those who don’t try to do the same. We’ve had various shortages in the shooting sports during my lifetime and the present Congress and administration are not friendly to our pursuits so yeah, I think it’s prudent to buy with an eye towards the future.

So, the old 'hoarders' vs 'planning ahead' thing?

Example: Back in the 1990's there was a situation where primers were scarce.
'Hoarders' pounced on opportunities to buy them by the 5000 count case lots and stacked them to the ceiling in their garages and spare bedrooms. The years rolled by, manufacturing caught up, prices dropped and I personally know folks who ended up selling at a loss 'cuz they hadn't used them all and decided to cut their losses.

Revenge was sweet.

Those 'planning ahead' (also known as 'me') in those times would occasionally see a 1000 count brick on a store shelf. Prices were still above normal but I would use a gift card or rewards points so I didn't care. In those cases I wasn't buying for my current usage, I was buying for the next year's usage.

Mad L -
I can only define "reasonable period of time" for myself, not for anyone else. There are no laws about buying more than you need, it's a personal decision, a question of ethics. If someone is comfortable with what they do, they should do it.

After WW2, there were people with basements full of can goods etc. that ended up being thrown away in the 1950's. Their neigbors weren't envious, but they considered those people horders.

I’ve gotten some fantastic buys of ammo, powder, and reloading components at the estate sales of horders (people that have more than they can possibly use in their lifetime). I myself try to keep about a 3-4 year inventory of what I use regularly in normal times., and will keep an opportunistic eye out to pick up a little more when things get scarce.

I’ve gotten some fantastic buys of ammo, powder, and reloading components at the estate sales of horders (people that have more than they can possibly use in their lifetime). I myself try to keep about a 3-4 year inventory of what I use regularly in normal times., and will keep an opportunistic eye out to pick up a little more when things get scarce.
I keep that same eye out myself…

3-4 years, eh? Say! How old a fellow are you?

I admit having a hoarder gene. As I am likely to die within the next couple of years, I am starting to inventory. I've got boxes and boxes of bullets for guns I no longer own. Discovered that plastic sabots work well for shooting such things in my ML guns. Still don't have enough powder though.

Foumd that a 180 grain .40 caliber cast bullet inside a .45 caliber sabot atop 7 grains of fffg black powder topped off with 70 grains of Triple 7 makes a pretty accurate and potent load in my T/C Hawken. Looking forward to trying .45 caliber 200 Hornady XTP bullets in my T/C White Mountain Carbine which has a 1:28 twist.

Think I'll wait until after Christmas before I start shopping for powder again. Lessee now.... how much powder can I burn in two years? Hmmmm....

I dont see where that makes a difference being not one company making the unmentionable powder went out of business and you still cant get most powders. the problems is 70-80 year old hoarders
My primary responsibility and goal on this earth is to provide and protect my family. I believe I have adequately done that so far. Hard assets are important; land, tools, machinery, food, water, weapons, and weapons Supplies. If someone else doesn't take the time and effort to provide for their own needs, I have little sympathy for them.

Latest posts

Back