• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex (again 😀 )

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but remember, Goex is an all-new total ownership outfit now! Owned by the rocket-engine guys, a totally USA company as far as I know. It's simply a new chapter for the brand name, the new Goex may step up and be a real boon to the ML world!
Lets hope so...I wish them well my friend.

I’ve got to wonder who will be the first to complain about the pricing, what ever it is, when the ‘new’ version of Goex begins to ship?
I will be unless they improve the quality of the powder.....

Same here.....it shoots just as good as Goex, however, when I comes to cleaning a gun, Schuetzen is far easier to clean. 5-7 minutes is all I do to clean a gun.
Goex usually takes me 20-30 minutes to achieve the same results.
I still have 3-4 pounds of Goex left ....but quit using it because of the cleaning issues.
I shoot a LOT of rounds through BP revolvers, mostly because I just like them, also because I used to shoot lots and lots of rounds through "unmentionable" revolvers and it's cost prohibitive now. So the percussion revolvers are getting 98% of the shooting workload and I'm having a great time with this "change" .......even though back in the 90's, when I first got into BP shooting, all I could get was the old metal can Goex and it worked just fine. I didn't even know what Swiss was

I did love the Old Eynsford from Goex, I doubt we'll ever see that again. I have a few lbs of it that I'm holding on to

But you're right, in both my revolvers and .58 Rifled-Muskets, the Schuetzen just fouls less and is easier to clean

Honestly, if Goex comes back I'll buy all 3 brands...plus it's price dependent. They all have a use. Swiss just goes to my high end target rifles that I rarely shoot, Goex OE was my go-to for .58 rifles, and Goex 1F was my .69 musket powder......Schuetzen became my revolver powder . Although I mix and match and try stuff in other guns too. There's room in I think all of our hearts for all the BP brands. I even play with subs too 😃

We are loyal to our wallets too. A 25 lb case of Schuetzen is currently about $560 so Goex/Estes will either need to turn out an OE grade powder for a higher $ or stay competitive with Schuetzen

Yes..I wish Goex all the best too..
Swiss & Schuetzen has stepped up to the plate and made powder available for shooters since the Goex fiasco started. Also...Goex doesn't support the hobby while Swiss/Schuetzen gives FREE powder away to clubs as prizes, offers a Christmas drawing of 25 pounds annually, and also to individual shooters across the country. I don't see Goex doing that at all.
I haven't slowed down shooting at all the past 2-3 years and will continue to support Swiss and Schuetzen as long as I can pull the trigger.
While others are waiting for Goex to get powder back on the shelves which may take many more months to happen, I'm pulling the trigger 2-3 days a week ( or more ) using Swiss and Schuetzen which is available right now.
Thank you Swiss/Schuetzen for keeping the America shooters going during this time.

View attachment 204091

This right here.

And I got trashed for saying the EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!! Unless and until the new management of the Goex brand changes how they've operated in the past in regards to youth black powder shooting sports, I'll stick with Scheutzen for working with kids and Swiss for competition.

Hopefully there will be no further accidents with Goex and no more Americans getting killed producing it.

What I don't get, is people who buy powder a pound at a time, especially if you have to pay hazmat. I've been buying by the case for years. Then every time I go out to shoot, ten bucks goes into an envelope in the safe. By the time I'm in need of more powder, I pretty much have it paid for in advance. I use an old apartment size refrigerator in my shop to store it.

Although I do agree with buying American......

Goex doesn't support the hobby while Swiss/Schuetzen gives FREE powder away to clubs as prizes, offers a Christmas drawing of 25 pounds annually, and also to individual shooters across the country. I didn't see Goex doing that at all.

Maybe it is time for an American company to support America shooters.....just saying...
I didn't know that giving free powder to clubs. Being stuck out in the sticks has it's good points, but it also has bad points, too. There is no club within a 2-1/2 hr drive from me.

Swiss & Schuetzen has stepped up to the plate and made powder available for shooters since the Goex fiasco started. Also...Goex doesn't support the hobby while Swiss/Schuetzen gives FREE powder away to clubs as prizes, offers a Christmas drawing of 25 pounds annually, and also to individual shooters across the country. I don't see Goex doing that at all.
I haven't slowed down shooting at all the past 2-3 years and will continue to support Swiss and Schuetzen as long as I can pull the trigger.
While others are waiting for Goex to get powder back on the shelves which may take many more months to happen, I'm pulling the trigger 2-3 days a week ( or more ) using Swiss and Schuetzen which is available right now.
Thank you Swiss/Schuetzen for keeping the America shooters going during this time.

View attachment 204091
Maybe a bit harsh on a company that hasn’t shipped it’s first pound of powder. I do agree that the previous owner of Goex, Hodgdon seemed to have a corporate strategy that was not supportive towards youth organizations and or events, at least compared to other companies in the events that I was part of.

Interestingly, when I was involved with the Boy Scouts years ago, I remember Estes being very involved with supporting the rocketry program, though I don’t know if that support was from corporate or local distributors. Thinking about it a bit, I have to wonder if the Scouts are still allowed to be involved with rockets?

Wonder what the focus and strategy of the new ownership will be to get the Goex brand out there. Hodgdon had the advantage of a well established distribution and marketing system tailored to the shooting world. Model rocket engine’s sales and distribution aren’t just in a different lane than blackpowder, it’s not even on the same track. Hope it doesn’t happen, but startup and distribution bumps will not surprise me.

Performance of the ‘new’ Goex blackpowder will be the determining factor for me, though it will be a while before I take a serious look at their offerings, even if they offer free ‘stuff’, which is always nice, as I’m currently pretty well stocked up on Swiss.

Does switching from Swiss to Goex affect the accuracy of your loads? Do you have to work up different loads depending on which powder you use? I just started shouting ML and bought Swiss because it was what I could find available.

What I don't get, is people who buy powder a pound at a time, especially if you have to pay hazmat. I've been buying by the case for years. Then every time I go out to shoot, ten bucks goes into an envelope in the safe. By the time I'm in need of more powder, I pretty much have it paid for in advance. I use an old apartment size refrigerator in my shop to store it.
I don't buy less than 25lbs if I have to order it

My local shop basically blends in the hazmat he paid into the price anyway, so sorry , I'm saving 100 bucks and buying in bulk

Does switching from Swiss to Goex affect the accuracy of your loads? Do you have to work up different loads depending on which powder you use? I just started shouting ML and bought Swiss because it was what I could find available.
Yes. Swiss is stronger, and I reduce my loads on average of 10% over Goex.

Darn skippy it does. There are very few competition shooters who are serious using Goex. It's pretty much all Swiss all the time.

Short answer, yes. In some guns, Goex would shoot as well as Swiss, but at least for me, never out performed Swiss.

Goex did have a ‘premium’ powder, Old Eynsford, that I heard was made to complete against Swiss. Never tried it, but had purchased 4 pounds when Hodgdon was still manufacturing it. Traded it off for Swiss to someone that had set their guns up using the Old Eynsford and was desperate to stock up on it. Got 5 pounds of Swiss for my 4 pounds of OE.

I'll use whatever is available at the time I'm buying to keep my guns blowing smoke and slinging lead.

There is no "bad" blackpowder manufacturer. I'm just glad there are numerous companies making it. If shooters are a secondary market for Goex after military contracts and rocket engines, it's fine, as long as we can buy it

I don't worry about whether Hornady or Speer is the better company, I just buy round balls so I can go punch paper. I support probably 50 different ammunition and gun makers with my $$ , I'm a consumer, I'm here to consume........take my $$ there's plenty for Schuetzen and Goex. I just want to drop hammers.

Short answer, yes. In some guns, Goex would shoot as well as Swiss, but at least for me, never out performed Swiss.

Goex did have a ‘premium’ powder, Old Eynsford, that I heard was made to complete against Swiss. Never tried it, but had purchased 4 pounds when Hodgdon was still manufacturing it. Traded it off for Swiss to someone that had set their guns up using the Old Eynsford and was desperate to stock up on it. Got 5 pounds of Swiss for my 4 pounds of OE.
Old Eynsford is an awesome powder

I love it for .58 rifles. Shooting 60-70+ Minies in an afternoon, no cleaning, no problem. Accuracy is always good

It even makes a better smelling smoke

Swiss is still better but it was also more $$. The Old E wasn't much more than red label Goex when it was available

If you're not a hard core competitor the Old E was amazing range powder

Ok so being brand new I was confused on what I have. I actually have Scheutzen powder, which I assumed was Swiss, but looking at their website I see they have both Swiss and Scheutzen, man this stuff gets confusing.

Black powder is kind of like smokeless powder. You can have two different powders with similar burn rates, and one will shoot better than the other. Until you try each brand and granulation, you can't know the most accurate in your firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back