• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goex 4F out of Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I bought 4f was because the “experienced “ shooters I learned from taught me that was how it was done.
Instead of insulting people that have gotten incorrect information along the way, how about be polite and try to educate. If not for forums like this, information like that doesn’t get shared.
If I do get a flintlock at least I’ll know a lot more about how to use it.

And for the mods, stuff like that from “supporters “ just makes me not want to be one even more.

Last edited:
Yeah, for some bizarre unknown reason everyone is under the misguided belief that 4f only exists for pan powder use.
It is not a pan powder, it is in its own right a main charge powder just as is other grades.
It tickles me when folk sound surprised that other grades work just fine in their pans. All because that's why 4f exists right? Pan powder.
Wrong!

Well for more than a generation, actually I think for three generations here in The States, that was what was taught. Seems that there were, oh say at the beginning of the 20th century, some questionable antiques that folks were trying to shoot.... and blew themselves up. It's also interesting that at the same time..., some of the BP shooters were putting about 5 grains of smokeless powder (oh yes) down the barrel, followed by the rest of the black powder charge. I think you can find some information on the practice in The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle by Ned Roberts. (IIRC) some of the "boys" thought they got a more complete burn or some such situation....,

..., anyway at this time folks were blowing up some of these guns using 4Fg as the main charge...or it was alleged that was the cause. So either the gun was simply unshootable, OR ..., perhaps...., since they were likely small caliber, folks were goofing up and mixing some smokeless with the black powder "like the 40 rod target shooters do"... I mean who would need a cleanest possible bore, than a person shooting a small caliber rifle, or a "parlor" handgun? They also likely had to crush the smokeless stuff down to a 3F size or smaller, which was not a good idea either..., probably had too much....BOOM

Well for whatever reason, the admonition stuck. You hear it even today.

LD

I like not having to bring a separate priming horn my with squirrel gun. I use 3fg in the pan and it goes off lightning quick.

Well for more than a generation, actually I think for three generations here in The States, that was what was taught. Seems that there were, oh say at the beginning of the 20th century, some questionable antiques that folks were trying to shoot.... and blew themselves up. It's also interesting that at the same time..., some of the BP shooters were putting about 5 grains of smokeless powder (oh yes) down the barrel, followed by the rest of the black powder charge. I think you can find some information on the practice in The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle by Ned Roberts. (IIRC) some of the "boys" thought they got a more complete burn or some such situation....,

..., anyway at this time folks were blowing up some of these guns using 4Fg as the main charge...or it was alleged that was the cause. So either the gun was simply unshootable, OR ..., perhaps...., since they were likely small caliber, folks were goofing up and mixing some smokeless with the black powder "like the 40 rod target shooters do"... I mean who would need a cleanest possible bore, than a person shooting a small caliber rifle, or a "parlor" handgun? They also likely had to crush the smokeless stuff down to a 3F size or smaller, which was not a good idea either..., probably had too much....BOOM

Well for whatever reason, the admonition stuck. You hear it even today.

LD
So we can take from that Dave that idiots got involved and thus 4f got branded bad when in reality there is no documented scientific conclusive evidence that it is a dangerous choice.

It goes like this, I heard someone got killed in a car so I never get in one.
I heard from someone I know that also knows someone that died in an airliner. I never get in an airliner.
Fear dictating terms on no solid basis of fact.
There is quite possibly folk on here that load Alliant Bullseye in pistol cases. Double dose a case though by accident and there goes another cylinder and top strap! But no one seems to mind using that for target loads in a cartridge revolver or pistol but using 4f black powder!!!! Heavens forbid!!!! It should be banned. Why isn't it banned?

My guess is this, seeing as it is made and still sold there must be an awful amount of closet users! For how many flintlock users there is I just can not see it being economically viable purely for pan use! Nope they are out there and using it, they just dare not admit it!

Yeah, for some bizarre unknown reason everyone is under the misguided belief that 4f only exists for pan powder use.
It is not a pan powder, it is in its own right a main charge powder just as is other grades.
It tickles me when folk sound surprised that other grades work just fine in their pans. All because that's why 4f exists right? Pan powder.
Wrong!

You just had to throw that in there. (chuckle)

So we can take from that Dave that idiots got involved and thus 4f got branded bad when in reality there is no documented scientific conclusive evidence that it is a dangerous choice.

It goes like this, I heard someone got killed in a car so I never get in one.
I heard from someone I know that also knows someone that died in an airliner. I never get in an airliner.
Fear dictating terms on no solid basis of fact.
There is quite possibly folk on here that load Alliant Bullseye in pistol cases. Double dose a case though by accident and there goes another cylinder and top strap! But no one seems to mind using that for target loads in a cartridge revolver or pistol but using 4f black powder!!!! Heavens forbid!!!! It should be banned. Why isn't it banned?

My guess is this, seeing as it is made and still sold there must be an awful amount of closet users! For how many flintlock users there is I just can not see it being economically viable purely for pan use! Nope they are out there and using it, they just dare not admit it!

If the car's owner manual said "Don't drive this car, I wouldn't drive it." If the pilot of an airplane said "this plane is not safe to fly, you would probably have your choice of seats as most other people would wait for another plane.

Do you point the barrel at your face when you drop in powder? It's not dangerous as I have never heard of anybody getting his face cooked. Do you load powder from your horn? Last accident that I heard of was in the 1830's so it should be safe. Do you put your face over the muzzle when you ram the ball home? Probably not because everyone advises against it. Or are you going to say that those practices are also safe?

Looks like its gonna be tough finding GOEX 4F for my Kibler.
Can I use 3F as a primer?
I have experimented with 3f and even 2f in my Pedersoli .50 Kentucky. If I known then what I know now I might not have spent money on expensive 4f. So, enjoy your flinter with 3f until you can get your hands on 4f. A pound of 4f will last a LONG time when you do get it. All that said, let me add to it by saying there are no absolute rules in this game (except for making sure your projectile is fully seated). The first time I took that Kentucky to the range I didn't have the correct patches. I used what I had as a over powder wad and shot the ball dry. One does what one has to. Let me know what your experience is with it.

If the car's owner manual said "Don't drive this car, I wouldn't drive it." If the pilot of an airplane said "this plane is not safe to fly, you would probably have your choice of seats as most other people would wait for another plane.

Do you point the barrel at your face when you drop in powder? It's not dangerous as I have never heard of anybody getting his face cooked. Do you load powder from your horn? Last accident that I heard of was in the 1830's so it should be safe. Do you put your face over the muzzle when you ram the ball home? Probably not because everyone advises against it. Or are you going to say that those practices are also safe?
Don't be stupid. By default you are proving my point!

The only reason I bought 4f was because the “experienced “ shooters I learned from taught me that was how it was done.
Instead of insulting people that have gotten incorrect information along the way, how about be polite and try to educate. If not for forums like this, information like that doesn’t get shared.
If I do get a flintlock at least I’ll know a lot more about how to use it.

And for the mods, stuff like that from “supporters “ just makes me not want to be one even more.
Don't let the "fatherless sons" get you down brother.

Once again. Get yourself a good granite rolling pin and roll yourself up any granulation you want on a smooth hardwood board. This is precisely how I intend to "corn" the pucks of my own product. Could not be simpler.

My grain of salt...
Je suis en accord avec ce que dit Britsmoothy :

Suisse_N°1_4Fg.jpg

Back