GOD SAVE WALES!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
WELSH FLAG.JPG

Today is the feast day of Saint David, so a simple explanation would be that it's like St. Patrick's Day, but for the Welsh!

For those of us into Shakespeare, In Henry V, after the victory at Agincourt...

Captain Fluellen: 'I do believe your Majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek upon Saint Davy's day. '
King Henry: [The king laughs through his tears] 'I wear it for a memorable honour. For I am Welsh, you know'.

The Leek, is another word for the daffodil flower as it is known in English. SO..., IF you be Welsh, then wear a daffodil today, as a buttoneer ;)

GOD SAVE WALES

LD

Auldjin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Prynhawn Da

And with that I have used most of my Welsh, despite (I have been told) the Ap was used in my surname until about 200 years ago.

pbcasterlin

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I wish I could find a daffodil. Waiting for this damn snow to melt. My Paternal Great Grandparents immigrated from Wales.

Treestalker

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My dad's paternal line goes back to Wales, we are supposed to be kin to Llewellyn, I think the Welsh are great folks, good singers, and I love their dragon flag, tempted to put one up by the front gate! God bless Wales and heres a drink to St. David.

Packrat

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Me wife 's family came from Wales, I bought her a Dragon Flag after a trip to Cardiff, the neighbors think it is Puff the Magic Dragon

JT1200R

32 Cal
Reaction score
My great grandparents on my mother’s side came from Wales. Lived in Scranton working in the coal mines.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My great grandparents on my mother’s side came from Wales. Lived in Scranton working in the coal mines.
That's why/how a LOT of Welsh came here in the early 19th century, to work the coal mines. My Paternal Grandmother's Welsh Ancestor was hired as a supervisor of a coal mine in that area and in that time period.

Gus

JCKelly

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wishing my Gaellic Cousins well
Jim Kelly, late (very, very late) of Londonderry

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Wishing my Gaellic Cousins well Jim Kelly, late (very, very late) of Londonderry
And the Welsh, too, I hope. :)

Nid Yw'r Cymry yn Gaeleg, ond Brythonig, cangen hollol wahanol o'r goeden. Y Gymraeg yw iaith wreiddiol yr 'Ynys Fawr' - Prydain Fawr, ers tua saith neu wyth can mlynedd cyn i'r Rhufeiniaid gyrraedd mewn 44 AD.

And for those of you who not, as we say, have the Welsh...

The Welsh are not Gaelic, but Brythonic, a completely different branch of the tree. The Welsh language is the original language of the 'Big Island' - Great Britain, since about seven or eight hundred years before the Romans arrived in 44 AD.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well sort of. Britain was the land of two distinct peoples. A pre agricultural people, then about three thousand years BC an agricultural people that invaded. The first people seem closely related to the Cro Magnon of Spain-France. The second Indo European related to Italians and Iberians. Then Celtic people invaded. They invaded and drove the early Briton’s north, then went to Ireland. It was from Ireland they invaded Scotland finely absorbing ye last of the original Britons and this was seven centuries after Brits took over Briton. Rome came and didn’t displace, but the Germans came and drove the Briton’s in to Wales or Brittany.

John May

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I can't find the Youtube clip of the Welsh National Anthem being sung by the Welsh crowd at Twickenham but I do remember it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand to attention!
(born in the UK to a Welsh Mother and an English Father, now married to a 100% Welsh Wife!)

Latest posts