• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Goat and wallaby from New Zealand.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good shooting Jeff.

Your pictures weren't showing last night but they work fine now.

Are wallabies good eating? I've heard of Kangeroo tail soup and it kinda makes you wonder what they do with the rest of the animal ::

best regards

Squire Hewitt
GHH

wow! beautiful rifle! I too am curious about the wallaby--it seems funny, for this American anyhow, to see one hunted and shot! I had this view that they were a national emblem almost, like our eagle? :huh:

Now let me get this straight, there was a Haines in New Zealand too? Amazing!! His guns look just like the ones our Haines made!!!

Do your bullets spin clockwise or counter-clockwise down there?

:RO:

Actually, thanks for the compliment of recreating and enjoying the rifles of our nation's history. A work of bueaty is the same in any land.

:redthumb:

i think there kowala bear is.....................bob

Actually, the kiwi is...

kiwi.jpg

Hi all.
1) Not eaten any wallaby yet but will next time. They, like all our game species are introduced (ex Australia) and classed as a noxious pest so we shoot for pest control........with a flintlock........ :crackup:
2) No native deer here. All introduced and "pests" too. We have elk, reds, fallow, white tail, rusa, sika. No season and no bag. Same for rabbits, hares, goats, Tahr, Chamios, pigs, wallabies, opossums. No shortage of any either.
3) Re the spinning I have not checked....... My barrel is right hand twist but only the recipient knows the spin at he business end..........and they are generally not a position to comment..... :crackup: ::
4) Really I should embrace the recreation of a colonel rifle etc. however your guns a much prettier and more available.

Hey Stumpkiller - I've been to Binghampton! :peace: I passed through that way in '95 and stayed for a day or 2. My friend was studing at Cornell in Ithaca so we toured round a bit. Stumbled across the 'Creek Side Gunshop' up Buffalo way too.

[/quote]

Actually, the kiwi is...

Looks like a quail with a big funny nose and having a bad hair day. :crackup:
They don't fly, do they? Do you yell FORE? :crackup:

Hey Stumpkiller - I've been to Binghampton! I passed through that way in '95 and stayed for a day or 2. My friend was studing at Cornell in Ithaca so we toured round a bit.

You came a long way for nothing! My Daddy was born and raised in Ithaca. Closest I ever got to Cornell was tending bar at the Sigma Nu Fraternity while a friend was attending C.U. I went to Binghamton U. More the Moss League than the Ivy League.

We have elk, reds, fallow, white tail, rusa, sika. No season and no bag.

Man, I wish someone would introduce those nusiances here . . . well, maybe the elk. I would hate to see our whitetail displaced. I've been toying with the idea of hunting sika in Maryland. Cute little buggers.

Sounds like you're in good shape. Carry on. :redthumb:

Jeff- Nice job on that Issac Haines. I built one two or three years ago, shot it a few hundred times. Must put the finish and wooden patch box lid on one of these months. What load do you use for your hunting?

Hi Herb.
I burn 30gr of Swiss 3fg for a little load at 1450fps (close target and small game) and 50gr for 1850fps for full house.
Both are equally as accurate and the Colerain barrel will turn in sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards with ease.

You've been to Binghampton and Ithaca? I'm sorry most of the country is much better. Honest! :winking: Creekside gunshop was huge, unfortunately it went out of business 3 or 4 years ago.
Gorgeous rifle by the way. I like the Haines rifles. :thumbsup:

....and the wringer that you put the Kiwis through to squeeze the polish out of them has to be REALLY strong too.........
:crackup:

Back