• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM barrel 15/16 into 1"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys n gals, I have a TC .54 Hawken which measures 1" width and 3/8's accross the flats. A fella is selling a Green Mtn bbl IBS in .32 that fit his TC .50 Hawken that measures 15/16 and 3/8.
Will this still fit?

I can help! Never tried it but I would say...NO, 15/16 th's is smaller than 1"....seriously....you will not have proper alignment of the standing breech or the nipple to hammer....etc. If you want a .32 and it's a good deal, snatch it and get another lock/stock set off of e-bay....there's a ton on there. Enjoy, J.D.

There are those that do it.
I have an Investarms 62 smoothy in 15/16 fit into a 1" Renegade Big bore stock and it works.

You'll have to mess with the tang to hook fit a bit and maybe bed under the breech.
(I had to file the hook)

I just used Silicon to bed under the barrel from just ahead of the wedge back into the breech area.
The Silicon can be scraped out later easily if I want to switch back.

I fit a 7/8 45 barrel into my boy's frontier that had a 15/16 barrel by adding 1/32 shims to the barrel undersides and filling the partial side gaps with beeswax. It has worked well for over twenty years. So I don't see why you could not do the same thing. :idunno:

Maybe I should have phrased it like this: Yes, it can be done if you wish to modify your existing rifle. But if you wish to have easy interchangability then, NO.

If you can afford it get another stock/lock. If it is a good deal, get the barrel until you can as those GM drop fits are hard to beat for shootability. I got a 1" .50 for my father's TC and it shoots as well as any ML I have ever seen.

Enjoy, J.D.

after seein' just such an animal on gunbroker i tried it with an extra renegade stock and an old t/c hawken kit gun barrel. had to squeeze the fore-end & barrel a bit to get the wedge in but it worked for me. there's a slight "hump" at the tang but the nipple lined up fine and the gap on the sides is barely noticable. haven't shot it yet so can't tell ya anything about that but it went together fine. for what it's worth and have a good'en friend, bubba.

Jamie from Alberta said:
Hi guys n gals, I have a TC .54 Hawken which measures 1" width and 3/8's accross the flats. A fella is selling a Green Mtn bbl IBS in .32 that fit his TC .50 Hawken that measures 15/16 and 3/8.
Will this still fit?
Just as a side note, a octagon barrel that is 1 inch measured from one flat to the opposite flat will have barrel flats with a width of .4142 wide.

A octagon barrel that is 15/16 inch measured from one flat to the opposite flat will have barrel flats with a width of .3883 wide.

Both of these widths assume the corners are sharp.
:)

Hey Thanks guys for all for your repsonces.
I think I will pass on this barrel as I am not that ambitious to bugger with fitting. A fellow shooter here suggested I use felt shims. But I will just put my money towards the full gun I reckon.

As I stated before, if the deal is good it might be worth picking it up and buying a stock for it.

May come out cheaper than buying an assembled gun and you may not find an assembled gun in that caliber.

If I was in the market for a .32 I don't know that I would pass it up as you may not find a deal on one later.

But only you can determine if the offer you have is a deal.

Remember, it don't eat nuttin' sittin' around. :wink: Enjoy, J.D.

Back