• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

GM 32 cal barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaintuck

54 Cal.
Reaction score
who has a GM 32 cal barrel~ and what size balls do you find accurate?.....i need to order some, and don't know what to order~~~

I like my wally world pillow ticking.........

If this is one of those drop in barrels for the Renegade/ Hawken then shooting it will be the easy part, LIFTING it will be the hard part but whatever you'll want some .310 balls and some about .015 patches. I have a lightweight barrel and my .32 is very accurate with that combo.
Deadeye

I dont have a GM barrel, But I DO have several .32 cal. Usual rule for almost all seems .310/.311 ball~.015/.018 patch .315 ball~.010 patch and Ive heard some even use a .319 ball. Ive never gone that big as I doubt I could find a thin enough patch to work. and depending on the barrel twist what loads it likes. for the usual 1-48 twist id start at 15 gr powder and go to 20, then 25 grn. most of mine dont group well till around 22 grn loads but a cherokee with a 1-30 twist will shoot well with anything from 10 grns up. this is no rule, each gun is different. Ive heard several people with crockets, say they do well down to 10 grn charge

kaintuck said:
who has a GM 32 cal barrel~ and what size balls do you find accurate?.....i need to order some, and don't know what to order~~~

I like my wally world pillow ticking.........

I have one that's 38" long and I've been using .315 balls with .018" pillow ticking. I've also used .310 and .319 balls. There's not much accuracy difference between the two larger balls, but the .315 loads just a tad easier. A real squirrel popper.

I have a Green Mountain drop in barrel mounted in a TC Hawken. I can find no difference in accuracy between .310 or .315 balls wrapped in .015 teflon. It doesn't like .319 wrapped in anything. I use an over powder wad with 15 grains of FFFG Swiss blackpowder. It works for me and mine.

You Can find them at Track of the Wolf,Grafs and son.
Might wanna check with Eddie May for a large order.
Eddie May Round Balls
159 Ridley Rd.
Chatsworth, GA. 30705
706-581-8225
“Best Quality Round Balls, Minnie, Rifle Bullets and Modern Cast Bullets”
Please Call or Write to place Order

Gm barrels are rifled deeper than the t/C's

Pour a bore slug..and go from there... why guess?

or hit the easy button...
If you cant pour lead..other option..lube your bore...find a 12" rod just under bore size..drop it down your bore tap an over sized round ball in to the muzzle(think wood mallet)turn barrel upside down and rod should loosen ball.take your measurements.
This takes a little over 40 seconds of labor.

makeumsmoke said:
.....Pour a bore slug..and go from there... why guess?

or hit the easy button...
If you cant pour lead..other option..lube your bore...find a 12" rod just under bore size..drop it down your bore tap an over sized round ball in to the muzzle(think wood mallet)turn barrel upside down and rod should loosen ball.take your measurements.
This takes a little over 40 seconds of labor.
The man is a genius!

Back