• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gluten Free

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm trying gluten free dinner rolls and gluten free lemon tart for tonight's feast. IF either come out well, I will try them in the Dutch Oven in the next batch.
The recipes are from America's Test Kitchen: I Can't Believe It's Gluten Free Volumes 1 & 2 (combined).

It's apparently a modern situation, that some folks have problems with gluten. Although I heard a rumor that Roundup herbicide in diluted amounts was being used to hasten wheat in ripening..., a decades old practice and might answer questions...

The recipes call for a home made mix of two non-gluten flours, and some additional ingredients....so we shall see.

For you Southern folks, and Southwestern Cuisine types, although maize has "gluten" in it...., apparently there is a slight molecular difference, and it doesn't cause the reaction that gluten-free folks need to avoid, SO...,
Tamales and Cornbread for everybody! :thumb:

I will report back later how well the baking went. 🤔

LD

So I'm trying gluten free dinner rolls and gluten free lemon tart for tonight's feast. IF either come out well, I will try them in the Dutch Oven in the next batch.
The recipes are from America's Test Kitchen: I Can't Believe It's Gluten Free Volumes 1 & 2 (combined).

It's apparently a modern situation, that some folks have problems with gluten. Although I heard a rumor that Roundup herbicide in diluted amounts was being used to hasten wheat in ripening..., a decades old practice and might answer questions...

The recipes call for a home made mix of two non-gluten flours, and some additional ingredients....so we shall see.

For you Southern folks, and Southwestern Cuisine types, although maize has "gluten" in it...., apparently there is a slight molecular difference, and it doesn't cause the reaction that gluten-free folks need to avoid, SO...,

LD
I'm still working on glutton free............ :cool:

im very allergic to gluten. been gluten free for years. you get used to it. stay away from modified food starch. it is concentrated gluten. you can have modified corn starch. carmel color in every thing is a fourm of gluten. learn to read labels. oats that is gluten free can cause trouble for some and not for others. the type of protein in oats is similar to gluten.

im very allergic to gluten. been gluten free for years. you get used to it. stay away from modified food starch. it is concentrated gluten. you can have modified corn starch. carmel color in every thing is a fourm of gluten. learn to read labels. oats that is gluten free can cause trouble for some and not for others. the type of protein in oats is similar to gluten.
Try arrowroot as a thickening agent, gluten free but be careful how much you use, too much and the gravy or sauce gels as opposed to thickens.
Here's some info on how to use it:

What is Arrowroot Powder and How to Cook with it - Jessica Gavin.

Try arrowroot as a thickening agent, gluten free but be careful how much you use, too much and the gravy or sauce gels as opposed to thickens.
Here's some info on how to use it:

What is Arrowroot Powder and How to Cook with it - Jessica Gavin.
Buckwheat flour is gluten-free

Actually people having health issues due to gluten and grain consumption is not a modern thing. Archeological evidence has shown sign of health problems arising in human populations shortly after the start of raising and consuming wheat and grains..
It just hang been recognized until recently. And, for business reasons, there is still massive push to deny this as a problem. This is compounded by the tendency for people experiencing problems that are related to gluten and grain consumption blaming it on other things, or thinking that some of the problems are normal.

I also think people are eating a lot more breads and grains than before, much of it overly processed with a bunch of chemistry added.

I'm looking forward to your report on the lemon tart,,,, and the recipe.

Thanks for posting this.

I’m 47 now, and have been allergic to many foods, to include gluten and corn, since I was an infant. There’s a lot of wisdom in the aforementioned comments. I’ve read a good bit on “modern” GMO production and the genetics of our food products. Scary stuff. We cook with sorghum, almond flour, coconut flour, and store bought gluten free blends of flour. You can also use rice flour as previously mentioned. I’d be interesting in hearing how it goes. My wife has become an expert at cooking in this manner; she chooses to follow a gluten and corn grain free lifestyle with me. Good luck!

THANKS EVERYBODY for the good advice

Yes to all of the above, but I've got a great two volume gluten free cook book from ATK (America's Test Kitchen). The basic wheat flour replacement is rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch. (Not in equal parts). Then depending on what you're making you add a little skim milk powder (as long as the people eating aren't also dairy free), or xantha gum, or psyllium fiber, or ground flax seed, etc....

OH and not only is the current wheat not the wheat of 50 years ago, it's also not the wheat of the colonial period..., whole wheat pastry flour is made from the type of wheat that was the wheat of the 13 colonies.

SO..., it didn't "go" at all... :confused:

My Son-In-Law is a very smart dude, who does Malware correction for a large I.T. corporation. Makes more money at 28 than I do after a 30 year police career..., seems he's not the guy who you hire to stop malware from getting into your computer system, but instead he's the guy you hire to get the malware out of your system once the system is infected.

Hence the high salary...but he's also a Nerdlett. He has noooo idea how to use a can opener on a Swiss Army knife, and sliced up his right hand good and proper while trying to open a can of pumpkin to make a pie. So..., we were notified by my daughter that dinner might not happen, and I didn't go forward with my experiment. After the hand was stitched up (it was the butchered can lid, not the knife that "cut him good" ) we were able to gather later in the evening and part of the Thanksgiving was that he hadn't done permanent damage to his main hand. (Geesh)

I really need to get that man into the woods for some basic skills, and away from the computers

So, God willing, I will give the recipes a try today or tomorrow. ;)

Stay tuned bakers .........

LD

THANKS EVERYBODY for the good advice

Yes to all of the above, but I've got a great two volume gluten free cook book from ATK (America's Test Kitchen). The basic wheat flour replacement is rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch. (Not in equal parts). Then depending on what you're making you add a little skim milk powder (as long as the people eating aren't also dairy free), or xantha gum, or psyllium fiber, or ground flax seed, etc....

OH and not only is the current wheat not the wheat of 50 years ago, it's also not the wheat of the colonial period..., whole wheat pastry flour is made from the type of wheat that was the wheat of the 13 colonies.

SO..., it didn't "go" at all... :confused:

My Son-In-Law is a very smart dude, who does Malware correction for a large I.T. corporation. Makes more money at 28 than I do after a 30 year police career..., seems he's not the guy who you hire to stop malware from getting into your computer system, but instead he's the guy you hire to get the malware out of your system once the system is infected.

Hence the high salary...but he's also a Nerdlett. He has noooo idea how to use a can opener on a Swiss Army knife, and sliced up his right hand good and proper while trying to open a can of pumpkin to make a pie. So..., we were notified by my daughter that dinner might not happen, and I didn't go forward with my experiment. After the hand was stitched up (it was the butchered can lid, not the knife that "cut him good" ) we were able to gather later in the evening and part of the Thanksgiving was that he hadn't done permanent damage to his main hand. (Geesh)

I really need to get that man into the woods for some basic skills, and away from the computers

So, God willing, I will give the recipes a try today or tomorrow. ;)

Stay tuned bakers .........

LD
Interesting you mention the powdered dairy and people that have issues with dairy. One of the things researchers have found with gluten is that people who don't realize they are having problem with gluten, but acknowledge that they are lactose intolerant often find that after a few weeks gluten free, their lactose intolerance starts to go away.

Come on, make the lemon tart anyway. Inquiring minds want to know...

I mentioned this very topic on another thread several hours ago. Alot of people who claim to be on a gluten free diet are there by choice. Only a very small percentage really have celiac or need to be gluten free. It's a fashionable thing at present and some celebrities are keeping this fad going.

I mentioned this very topic on another thread several hours ago. Alot of people who claim to be on a gluten free diet are there by choice. Only a very small percentage really have celiac or need to be gluten free. It's a fashionable thing at present and some celebrities are keeping this fad going.
WRONG. One does not have to have celiac disease, which is rare, to be sensitive to gluten, and grains in general..
Most people who try a gluten free diet for 21 days or more report improvement in overall health. More energy, lessening or lack of other food sensitivities, less skin issues, including people who had no "complaints," saying they just generally feel better, "I didn't realize I didn't feel 100%," is a common thing to hear from many of them. This overall improvement is even more pronounced in those that completely remove grains and legumes from their diet.

Grain farmers have too strong a lobby, and, the Fed agricultural agencies and FDA are too invested in promoting "healthy grain" consumption for good research to reach the consumer public in general.

I had stomach and lower intestine problems a couple of years ago.Could not keep anything in,spent 3 months on the toilet. I know to much info,but it was hell.They gave me every test there was,and every test came back with a new diagnosis.Acid Reflux,Celiac,Glutton intolorance,etc. Finally said it a Celiac,did a couple more tests and said it wasn't! After a bout 5 months of misery,it just went away.They never did figure out what it was.When they cant diagnose you they just call it IBS.Point is,went a whole summer Glutten Free,and Glutten Free bread is horrible.Store bought is inedible,and we tried every recipe and flour possible with no luck.Damn near went broke buying all that healthy flour LOL.

Grain farmers have too strong a lobby, and, the Fed agricultural agencies and FDA are too invested in promoting "healthy grain" consumption for good research to reach the consumer public in general.

Actually I think it's the grain farming corporations, not so much the individual farmers, no matter how "large" an operation, and who have incorporated themselves, that's the problem. For example, Joe, the friend of my father with whom my family's 600 acres in Illinois is farmed, farms thousands of acres..., corn and soybeans. He'd never use chemicals to ripen a crop, even if we grew wheat..., but....,

I've heard that such very large corporations have been applying diluted Roundup herbicide to accelerate the "ripening" of the wheat. They can then set a schedule of when certain areas will be harvested, since they "know" the crop will be ready and thus save $$$ on transportation of the machines and fuel costs..., and that this practice and similar such stuff and the public's gluten intolerance on a high scale, coincided.

LD

I had stomach and lower intestine problems a couple of years ago.Could not keep anything in,spent 3 months on the toilet. I know to much info,but it was hell.They gave me every test there was,and every test came back with a new diagnosis.Acid Reflux,Celiac,Glutton intolorance,etc. Finally said it a Celiac,did a couple more tests and said it wasn't! After a bout 5 months of misery,it just went away.They never did figure out what it was.When they cant diagnose you they just call it IBS.Point is,went a whole summer Glutten Free,and Glutten Free bread is horrible.Store bought is inedible,and we tried every recipe and flour possible with no luck.Damn near went broke buying all that healthy flour LOL.
Yes most gluten free substitutes suck.

Udi brand English muffins and Birchbender brand "paleo" waffles are about the only substitute foods I like.

I've just learned to mostly live without the stuff. There are exceptions I deem worth it, just not every day or every week.

The problem with laying peoples issues with gluten and grains on modern pesticides is that there is ample evidence of these causing humans problems relatively soon after the introduction of intentional grain agriculture. No pesticides then. Well,,, not man made anyway. Grains and legumes contain their own pesticides, and that is part of what causes the problem. There is no evidence we need any type of grain nutritionally, nor dairy and most humans globally are lactose intolerant to some degree. If we don't need it, and it is designed to limit its consumption by those that do eat it, no wonder it can cause problems.

I've heard that such very large corporations have been applying diluted Roundup herbicide to accelerate the "ripening" of the wheat. They can then set a schedule of when certain areas will be harvested, since they "know" the crop will be ready and thus save $$$ on transportation of the machines and fuel costs..., and that this practice and similar such stuff and the public's gluten intolerance on a high scale, coincided.

Last edited:
Back