• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gluten Free

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that should decide it. You never seen it so it probably never happened. How many farming communities do you visit on a regular basis?

Carbon6, many farmers do their own application and own their own rigs. With a large combine costing half a million dollars a spray rig for a large farmer is small change plus they often have hired help they need to keep busy so spraying crops is just another one of the jobs to be done.

I used to work for one of the bigger farmers and of all his expensive farm equipment, from caterpillars to cotton pickers , the spray rig was the one piece of equipment I dreaded most. I was asked and refused to get my applicators license.I'm not in the best of health now but I feel it would be a whole lot worse if I spent more time "spraying chemicals".

Carbon6, many farmers do their own application and own their own rigs. With a large combine costing half a million dollars a spray rig for a large farmer is small change plus they often have hired help they need to keep busy so spraying crops is just another one of the jobs to be done.

Guess it depends on where you live. Where I'm at most hire it done cause the sprayer costs several hundred thousand dollars. There a a few small guys that do their own spraying but that is for corn or alfalfa, not wheat or soybeans. Many don't even have combines anymore, they hire it done, that's part of the reasoning behind desiccation. when the harvester wants to combine he knows it's ready, because it's been sprayed. Makes scheduling much easier.

I'm not in the best of health now but I feel it would be a whole lot worse if I spent more time "spraying chemicals".

Ya, decades ago I stopped by to see a friend (farmer) he was working with some kind of insecticide (I think) From 50 feet away he yelled at me to GET BACK! 3 grains of this stuff is enough to kill you he said. All he had on was gloves. He died ten years later from brain cancer.
Probably a coincidence.

It is sad in a way these chemicsls do have their positive points but man do they have negatives too.

Controversial but...
I think the filter is broke on the Gene Pool and we did it our selves. nut allergies, beef allergies lactose , gluten, problem births..... Before we became civilized if you had a anything but the most robust genes, you probably never got the chance to pass that on to future generations.
I think modern medicine is great, don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for it. But all these afflictions are because we stepped on that butterfly. Now we have to learn to deal with it. And in all probability how we deal with some of them will most probably cause some other issue 2 or 3 generations down.

Gluten free shows up now and then at our house because my sister-in-law has celiac and some times its hard to tell gluten -free from "regular". Recipes and products have come a long way since this stuff first started showing up in market places.

CHARLESTON MERCURY, July 23, 1862, p. 2, c. 1 Rice flour.--This article is coming into very general use. The Atlanta Intelligencer says: "We have tried it, and, for batter cakes and waffles, there is nothing better. Mix it with corn meal or wheat flour, and it makes excellent bread. It requires much less lard than the common meal or flour used alone."

SOUTHERN CONFEDERACY [ATLANTA, GA], September 17, 1862, p. 2, c. 2 Receipts for Making Bread, &c., from Rice Flour. Russell County, Ala., Sept. 8. Eds. Sun: I read an article in one of your papers lately in which receipts for making different kinds of bread with rice flour, were inquired for and having a few that I think will be found good, I send them to you. They were printed in Charleston, S. C., several years ago. Respectfully, Elizabeth B. Lewis.
To Make Loaf Rice Bread.--Boil a pint of rice soft, and a pint of leaven, then three quarts of rice flour, put it to raise in a tin or earthen vessel, until it has risen sufficiently; divide it into three parts and bake it as other bread, and you will have three large loaves. Or scald the flour, and when cold, mix half wheat flour or corn meal, raised with leaven in the usual way.
Another.--One quart of rice flour: make it into a stiff pap, by wetting with warm water, not so hot as to make it lumpy, when well wet add boiling water, as much as two or three quarts, stir continually until it boils; put in 1/2 pint of yeast when it cools, and a little salt, knead as much wheat flour as will make it a proper dough for bread, put it to rise, and when it has risen
add a little more wheat flour; let it stand in a warm place half an hour, and bake it. This same mixture only made thinner and baked in rings make excellent muffins.

Journey of [or?] Jonny [sic] Cake.--To three spoonfuls of soft boiled rice, add a small tea-cup of water or milk, then add six spoonfuls of rice flour, which will make a large Jonny cake, or six waffles.

Rice Cakes.--Take a pint of soft boiled rice, a half pint of milk or water, to which add twelve spoonfuls of the rice flour; divide it into small cakes and bake them in a brick oven.

Rice Cakes Like Buckwheat.--Mix one-fourth wheat flour to three-fourths superfine rice flour, and raise it as buckwheat flour, bake it like buckwheat cakes.

To Make Wafers.--Take a pint of warm water, a teaspoonful of salt, add a pint of the flour, and it will give you two dozen wafers.

To Make Rice Puffs.--To a pint of the flour add a teaspoonful of salt, a pint of boiling water, beat up four eggs, stir them well together, put from two to three spoonfuls of lard in a pan, make it boiling hot, and fry as you do common fritters.

To Make a Rice Pudding.--Take a quart of milk, add a pint of the flour, boil them to a pap, beat up six eggs, to which add six spoonfuls of Havana sugar, and a spoonful of butter, which when well beaten together, add to the milk and flour, grease the pan it is to be baked in, grate nutmeg over the mixture and bake it.

Rice Flour Sponge Cake.--Made like sponge cake except that you use 3/4 of a pound of rice flour, thirteen eggs, leaving out four whites, and add a little salt.

Rice Flour Blance [sic] Mange.--Boil one quart of milk, season it to your taste with sugar and rose water, take four tablespoonfuls of the rice flour, mix it very smooth with cold milk, add this to the other milk while it is boiling, stirring it well; let all boil together about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally; then pour it into moulds [sic] and put it by to cool. This is a very favorite article for invalids.

Rice Griddle Cakes.--Boil one large cup of whole cold rice quite soft in milk, and while hot stir in a little wheat flour or rice flour; when cold add two eggs and a little salt, bake in small thin cakes on the griddle. In every case in making rice flour bread, cake or pudding, a well boiled pap should be first made of all the milk and water and half the flour, and allowed to get perfectly cold before the other ingredients are added; it forms a support for them and prevents the flour from settling at the bottom; stir the whole a moment before it is set to cook.

Ain't seen one yet, but I found this.

NATCHEZ DAILY COURIER, August 8, 1862, p. 2, c. 1 A Fig for Molasses. We have received from Mr. C. H. Owen, 65 Coming street, a specimen of good Molasses, made from the white fig. He made from one peck of figs, three pints; and from a bushel, seven quarts of this molasses, according to the following directions:

Wash the figs, then put them in a porcelain vessel; cover with pure water, boil carefully one hour. When cool, strain through a muslin cloth; then boil again until it is boiled down to a proper consistency, which you can easily tell by dipping by a spoonful and cooling. The above is all the preparation necessary. In boiling for the last time, take off the scum.-Charleston Courier.

Back