• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

glueing inlays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
what's the best way to glue inlays in with....i've done it in the past on a marlin .22 for the hell of it to see how it would look....but after about 15 years or so i've noticed that it is rising out a bit from the surfise of the stock....i used a 2 part epoxy to glue it in back then...................bob

Probably the Best way to glue in inlays is not to.
The originals were almost always screwed or nailed on.

This is not to say that I haven't glued in some in the past using (like you) 2 part Epoxy.

When I used this method I was very careful about roughing up the underside of the inlay with a scribe and leaving all of the burrs on it. I then thoroughly degreased the surface by dropping the inlay into a bath of acetone.
The Epoxy I used was the strong Slow setting kind not the 5 minute kind.

The inlays may fall out after 15 years and if they do, I'll have to deal with it then.
My oldest "glue job" is only 9 years old now so we'll see what happens.

i'm sorry....i forgot to say they where wood inlays....duh
rolleyes.gif

OK. Risking all of the wrath of the woodworkers on the Forum I'll say I would use Elmer's Professional Carpenters Glue for wooden inlays.
It's better than the original guns used, and it will flex with the wood when it changes size due to humidity changes.
Elmers also doesn't cover or clog the woods grain so it will sand easily and take stains without looking bad by showing a "glue line".

PS: I understand Elsie took out a $5,000,000 Insurance Policy on Elmer so you actually get a little of him in every bottle. ::

On my inlays I glasd bead the rear of it & silver solder a tiny wood screw to them drill a tiny hole just undersize of the screw, put 2000# Devcon epoxy (on maple stocks)on the rear of the enlay & a touch in the screw hole & tap the inlay in. On walnut stocks I use Microbed on the rear of the inlays.

polyurethane glue is that gorilla glue your talking about?....i read the bottle at the store the other day and it said it waterproof but don't remember if it said polyurethane glue..................bob

Nice job ye did thar!!

By tha way, jus in case ye didn't notice, yer hatband is a crawlin away. Rite prity hat band iffen Ah do say so miself.

Ah boughten some glu one time thet wud stik metal to wood er glass to plaskit er rubber to ennythang....they sed hit wud stick ennythang to ennythang.....'n ah figger hit wud have too iffn aye cudda got tha dang top offen hit!

Back