• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Glue for Forend Cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epoxy does not last; wood and metal expand at different rates and eventually will loosen. I've seen it happen several times. Use epoxy for a bedding compound AND a rivet and you will never have to mess with it again.👍👍
#1 idea, easy to make rivits, and was done in the past. Hot bees wax underneath before you set the rivits makes it solid and it won’t Niven in your lifetime

I will agree with necchi with one cavate, If your using ebony or other oily woods use some acetone on them a couple of times so the oil does not interfere with the joint.
Yep. That's a 99.999% marriage of ebony to walnut with 60 minute cure 2 ton devcon clear epoxy. Used about a dozen treatments of acetone not only because ebony is oily but I had to make sure all of the inletting soot from the oil lamp was removed from both surfaces before daring to glue.
Screenshot_20220223-174235_Gallery.jpg

Yep. That's a 99.999% marriage of ebony to walnut with 60 minute cure 2 ton devcon clear epoxy. Used about a dozen treatments of acetone not only because ebony is oily but I had to make sure all of the inletting soot from the oil lamp was removed from both surfaces before daring to glue.View attachment 124097
That there is a work of art!

Getting ready to start my first build, so I’m pretty ignorant to all things like this. But has anyone ever used G-Flex epoxy? It’s a 2 part that is super strong, but remains mildly flexible once cured. It’s used a lot in the marine industry when you need some minor flexing.

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/gflex-650-toughened-epoxy/

Yes, it is my Go-To for stock work.

As for metal pieces not staying put..... IF you try to glue smooth metal to smooth wood that might happen. I use an electro pencil engraver to rough up the metal. That makes a velcro like mechanical attachment. Sometimes I pock mark the wood with a dental burr also. Forend tips, ebony to walnut is not a problem either. Clean it good. Use dowels, I often use all thread or drywall screw shanks. I have never had anything fall off one of my stocks.

Yes, it is my Go-To for stock work.

As for metal pieces not staying put..... IF you try to glue smooth metal to smooth wood that might happen. I use an electro pencil engraver to rough up the metal. That makes a velcro like mechanical attachment. Sometimes I pock mark the wood with a dental burr also. Forend tips, ebony to walnut is not a problem either. Clean it good. Use dowels, I often use all thread or drywall screw shanks. I have never had anything fall off one of my stocks.
I wonder if a real coarse sand paper would do enough to brass? Any experience?

I can't tell you the chemistry but industrially itis known not to use epoxy on copper or is alloys
I used the epoxy to get a tight fit between the stock and nose cap. A hole was drilled through the nose cap and the copper was flared out in the barrel channel and on the surface of the nose cap for a color contrast.

When using epoxy w/ inserts, I don't depend on adhesion to retain them. A "V" needle file is used to put a groove at various places on the edges of the perimeter of the insert and these grooves "lock in" the insert. Grooves are even filed in on 1/32" thick inserts This really retains them, especially escutcheons for keys. The rivets are used to simulate how the old timers did it...I normally don't use epoxy w/ most inserts.....Fred

Back