• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Glass bedding a TC Cherokee stock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Question for knowledgeable forum members. I just purchased several TCs from an Estate sale. I started going though them to see which I'm keeping. I started with a Cherokee, taking it apart and cleaning and noticed it has a 1/4 inch play in the barrel side to side. Is there a preferred product to glass the barrel channel with ? If so is this something a novice should tackle ?

My guess is if it has that much 'play', it has the wrong barrel in it. No way it came from TC like that. If I wanted to keep it, I would make 1/8' thickfiller spacers, glue them into the channel, and re-fit the barrel. Not much fancy skill involved; just patience.

Question for knowledgeable forum members. I just purchased several TCs from an Estate sale. I started going though them to see which I'm keeping. I started with a Cherokee, taking it apart and cleaning and noticed it has a 1/4 inch play in the barrel side to side. Is there a preferred product to glass the barrel channel with ? If so is this something a novice should tackle ?
A Cherokee barrel (with Cherokee stamped on it) in any TC stock except for a Cherokee or Seneca, would have a lot of play in it. Post some closeup photographs of what you have and I am sure you will get some practical advice as to what you have.

I've got 3 more Cherokees and the barrel doesn't have the play in any of those stocks it does in the one I bought it in. I'm thinking maybe it was a kit gun.

Sounds like wrong barrel for that stock. Don't molest the stock, find the right barrel or part it out.

Without pictures my W.A.G. would be that they put a Cherokee barrel in a Pennsylvania Hunter/White Mountain Carbine stock or something along those lines. With that much 'play' it might even be a Renegade stock. Either tthat or they did some serious 'hogging out' of the barrel channel.

What bubba.50 said. Compare the dimensions of that stock with one of your other Cherokees, that will tell the tale. Post photos!

Bottom gun is one I'm talking about.
Stocks are both same length, but bottom one has play in barrel fit. Doesn't matter once a Cherokee gets here it don't leave. Just trying to remedy barrel movement before taking it to the shooting bench.

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_003007009.jpg
    PXL_20220527_003007009.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20220527_002823585.jpg
    PXL_20220527_002823585.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 68
I noticed the top gun has a fancy trigger guard and double set triggers. Not so with the gun on the bottom.
I may be wrong but I'm thinking the 1st Cherokee models had the set trigger and later ones don't. I've got a couple more that are factory guns with both style triggers.

If there's really that much slop in the barrel channel I wouldn't use any kind of bedding. I'd get a roll of walnut veneer and cut strips to fit and glue them in with titebond 2 even if it takes a couple or three layers.

I’ve not seen a Cherokee with a trigger guard like the one on the bottom gun in the photograph. Out of curiosity, do you have a 15/16” barrel you could try in the stock? Maybe someone modified the stock to fit a larger barrel?

T/C stocks were made at a mill in Perry, KS, which I visited once. They were turned on duplicating lathes. If a true factory stock has as much slop as yours, it might have wobbled in the lathe. However I think if that were the case it would show up on the outside, too. Do the outside measurements of the offending stock match those of your good stocks?

I may be wrong but I'm thinking the 1st Cherokee models had the set trigger and later ones don't. I've got a couple more that are factory guns with both style triggers.
I don't know much about TC guns.
I do have a small collection of vintage CVA rifles and the parts are fairly interchangeable. Which lends me to think that someone may have swapped the barrel you have to a different stock.
I'm sure you could come up with a good idea to make it work.

T/C stocks were made at a mill in Perry, KS, which I visited once. They were turned on duplicating lathes. If a true factory stock has as much slop as yours, it might have wobbled in the lathe. However I think if that were the case it would show up on the outside, too. Do the outside measurements of the offending stock match those of your good stocks?
The measurements are the same, the finish is not as good as my other 3.
My plans are to glass it or as was mentioned earlier shim it so it don't affect it's accuracy, and hunt it. Never glassed a stock so I may hire it done if I go that route.

Glossing is very simple. I glassed the barrel of a T/C Hawken that fit just a little loose mostly to see what difference it made. Read up on the process and by a glassing kit from Brownell's for your first attempt. It will have everything you need plus good instructions.

Seneca, and Cherokee barrels were 13/16" across the flats, most Hawken barrels were 15/16", but a few were 1", all Renegades were 1" barrels. Someone has dropped that barrel into a Hawken stock.
My guess would be, it's not a "from the TC Factory" rifle, but one pieced together from eBay parts.

I have a later Cherokee with a single trigger and it looks just like the bottom rifle. As small as the patent breech and lock are on those there's no way that barrel would fit into a Hawken stock. So, I doubt there can be 1/4" of movement in that barrel. But if it is loose, the first thing to figure out is why? What is allowing it to move? How does the hook on the breech plug fit into the tang? Is the barrel underlug actually present? Something should be very obvious upon inspection to answer the question. After that, the direction to proceed should be obvious. And if the hook on the breech plug has been cut on it may involve a welder rather than epoxy.

Back