• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gifted rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a rifle from a long time dear friend and I need some help in identifying it. It is an old cap lock with a 35 1/2" barrel. On top of the barrel is the name B Coalman. I believe the stock is curly maple. On the lock there is a double lined oval in front of the hammer and so far all I can make of it is in the bottom of the oval it says "warranted" I can't make out what the top word is.

This rifle was given to my friend by his grandfather when my friend was child. My friend is now 83 yrs old. The stock has an old repair is the wrist area that needs some attention. On the muzzle end of the barrel is some stampings one of which is 1863. Pictures will show the rest of the stampings. The bore looks a little rough but I can see some riflings at the muzzle end. I would like to return this rifle to shooting condition but I don't want to take away the patina any more than I have to. When this friend received this rifle he scratched "DB" in the stock. He told me this was for Daniel Boone. This will stay on the stock. The bore measures about .375.

Attachments

• IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_4976.JPG
    IMG_4976.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_4980.JPG
    IMG_4980.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 268
This is out of my league but, IMHO, it would be a great project getting it back in shooting form.

This is out of my league but, IMHO, it would be a great project getting it back in shooting form.
I have it apart at this time and I need a stirrup for it but I am not sure what lock it has. Don't know if one from a different lock will work or not. It is going to need some wood work as the wrist is broken but has a patch on it. Bore is clear and I think it is going to clean up good enough to make a shooter. Any help on the stirrup problem would be greatly appreciated. Still can't read all of the name on the stock.

I just received a rifle from a long time dear friend and I need some help in identifying it. It is an old cap lock with a 35 1/2" barrel. On top of the barrel is the name B Coalman. I believe the stock is curly maple. On the lock there is a double lined oval in front of the hammer and so far all I can make of it is in the bottom of the oval it says "warranted" I can't make out what the top word is.

This rifle was given to my friend by his grandfather when my friend was child. My friend is now 83 yrs old. The stock has an old repair is the wrist area that needs some attention. On the muzzle end of the barrel is some stampings one of which is 1863. Pictures will show the rest of the stampings. The bore looks a little rough but I can see some riflings at the muzzle end. I would like to return this rifle to shooting condition but I don't want to take away the patina any more than I have to. When this friend received this rifle he scratched "DB" in the stock. He told me this was for Daniel Boone. This will stay on the stock. The bore measures about .375.

Daniel Boone died in 1820.
Pretty much before caplocks

Can you post a picture of the internal parts of your rifle? Not all locks will have a stirrup.

Get the Track of the Wolf catalog. There are a lot of listings of modern locks pictured full size to compare with your lock. Match up sear lever position to the drum location. You may find a lock that can be modified to fit your lock mortise.

Hey MJP CHIEF.......My suggestion about restoring old original m/l rifles is to Build a copy of it. The old rifle you show looks like a pretty easy build. Old wood in antique guns is fragile , and turns to dust w/ use. If you value the rifle , don't try to use it , as if it is newer than it is. Been there done that.

Hey MJP CHIEF.......My suggestion about restoring old original m/l rifles is to Build a copy of it. The old rifle you show looks like a pretty easy build. Old wood in antique guns is fragile , and turns to dust w/ use. If you value the rifle , don't try to use it , as if it is newer than it is. Been there done that.
I'm just wanting to make the gun solid and workable again. Will not make a shooter out of it. So far I'm thinking this is a .36 cal rifle. If I ever decide to shoot it it will be with a very light load and just once or twice just because. Rifle will be put in the safe and caressed every once in a while. I have the lock apart at this but will post pictures soon.

Percussion caps became available in 1820, and the muzzle is dated 1863.

That rifling is called "Kentucky Wide Shallow" rifling.

Original antique muzzleloaders were made by individual gunsmiths or small manufacturing concerns, usually prior to the era of mass production, but sometimes well into the mid-19th century.

There are literally thousands of small individual makers, and often such guns are unsigned with no sure way to identify the maker.

Published references for them are few & far between.

The name on the barrel is usually the gun maker; lock makers sometimes marked the inside of the lockplate.

There were rifle builders named H. Coleman in Boston ca.1847, and Charles Coleman ca.1862, who may or may not be related to your barrel maker.

Lock loosely assembled. Drawing of Mark on side of lock. Can't read all of top inscription. Picture of bore. Looks good. Measured sizes of bore.

Attachments

• IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4986.JPG
    IMG_4986.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4987.JPG
    IMG_4987.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4988.JPG
    IMG_4988.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 143
Thanks Pete. Lots of good info.
Percussion caps became available in 1820, and the muzzle is dated 1863.

That rifling is called "Kentucky Wide Shallow" rifling.

Original antique muzzleloaders were made by individual gunsmiths or small manufacturing concerns, usually prior to the era of mass production, but sometimes well into the mid-19th century.

There are literally thousands of small individual makers, and often such guns are unsigned with no sure way to identify the maker.

Published references for them are few & far between.

The name on the barrel is usually the gun maker; lock makers sometimes marked the inside of the lockplate.

There were rifle builders named H. Coleman in Boston ca.1847, and Charles Coleman ca.1862, who may or may not be related to your barrel maker.

Is that an H. Elwell Warranted Lock ?

If so, then the lock is a bit older than the barrel date, say 1820-1840.

Henry Elwell was an English lockmaker - one of many who supplied locks to the American gun trade for the guns they were building.

ANTIQUE-Half-Stock-LONG-RIFLE-w-H-ELWELL-Lock_101051338_87874_765103E415D2C559.jpg

Last edited:
Is that an H. Elwell Warranted Lock ?

If so, then the lock is a bit older than the barrel date, say 1820-1840.

Henry Elwell was an English lockmaker - one of many who supplied locks to the American gun trade for the guns they were building.

ANTIQUE-Half-Stock-LONG-RIFLE-w-H-ELWELL-Lock_101051338_87874_765103E415D2C559.jpg
Wording in top of oval doesn't match your lock. Thinking I will make the stirrup for it and put a bushing in the tumbler hole.

Wording in top of oval doesn't match your lock. Thinking I will make the stirrup for it and put a bushing in the tumbler hole.
I got the stirrup made this morning and I think it's going to work just fine. I have decided that I am going to leave the tumbler hole as is for the time being. It's not as loose as I thought. There is a crack in the hammer that I will address this afternoon. Always something I guess. I talked to a master woodworker this morning and he doesn't think the crack in the stock will be that big of a deal to repair.

Attachments

• IMG_5005.JPG
    IMG_5005.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 73
After a little more cleaning on the lock the best I can figure is the lock was made by Riddle. He was a lock maker in the mid 1800's. Closest I can get. All I like now is repairing the wood.

Ok. I have identified the lock maker but nothing on the rifle builder yet other than the R COALMAN on the barrel. Can someone tell me what the stamping on the muzzle mean? I understand the 1863 but wondering about the 1.00.

Attachments

• IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 72
Back