• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gifted Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 3 months ago I lost my best friend, and partner that trained me to be a Police Officer 18 years ago. He was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident. We attended many Rendezvous together from Creed to Big Bear. His family decided I would be the only one who would appreciate his muzzleloaders. I was gifted his Dixie Tenn Mountain Rifle in .50 Flint. I got her all cleaned up and his daughter and I went out and shot her. This thing is a tack driver. Got her home and completely torn down for a thorough cleaning, breech and vent liner removed, and I dont think he ever took the barrel off. I found the name Lyle McCann, Moline Ill 1979 on the bottom flat. The gun has a wonderful grey/brown petina, the bore is like brand new. Lock is actually quick and looks like by buddy tuned it. Even with the liner sitting high in the pan it has very little delay. Any how, I wanted to share a beautiful old production gun with you all.
IMG_8272.jpg
IMG_8273.jpg
IMG_8274.jpg
IMG_8275.jpg
IMG_8276.jpg
IMG_8277.jpg

I like the Poor Boy patch lube hole.

Been wanting one on my Jukar Poor Boy.

Just can't make myself drill a hole in the butt stock.

Your photos bring back many memories. I used to own one of those Dixie TMRs. Matter of fact, mine was the first muzzleloader I owned. I learned to shoot flintlock rifles behind that rifle's buttplate. And the lock was sure fire.

I knew Lyle McCann quite well. Even in his 80's he was a consistent winner at our club shoots with that rifle.
He was in WWII and was a Sargent. His outfit were the ones that did clean up during the island-hopping campaign in the Pacific. It was his job to go into all the caves and flush out and kill all of the Jap hold outs after the Marines had moved on to the next island.. He was a helluva soldier and gentleman.
If you ever want to part with that gun, let me know. Lyle tuned that lock.

About 3 months ago I lost my best friend, and partner that trained me to be a Police Officer 18 years ago. He was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident. We attended many Rendezvous together from Creed to Big Bear. His family decided I would be the only one who would appreciate his muzzleloaders. I was gifted his Dixie Tenn Mountain Rifle in .50 Flint. I got her all cleaned up and his daughter and I went out and shot her. This thing is a tack driver. Got her home and completely torn down for a thorough cleaning, breech and vent liner removed, and I dont think he ever took the barrel off. I found the name Lyle McCann, Moline Ill 1979 on the bottom flat. The gun has a wonderful grey/brown petina, the bore is like brand new. Lock is actually quick and looks like by buddy tuned it. Even with the liner sitting high in the pan it has very little delay. Any how, I wanted to share a beautiful old production gun with you all.View attachment 178285View attachment 178286View attachment 178287View attachment 178288View attachment 178289View attachment 178290
Every time I see one of these jewels my first thought is "Oh if it could only talk" and tell of it's many adventures !

I knew Lyle McCann quite well. Even in his 80's he was a consistent winner at our club shoots with that rifle.
He was in WWII and was a Sargent. His outfit were the ones that did clean up during the island-hopping campaign in the Pacific. It was his job to go into all the caves and flush out and kill all of the Jap hold outs after the Marines had moved on to the next island.. He was a helluva soldier and gentleman.
If you ever want to part with that gun, let me know. Lyle tuned that lock.
You just gave me what I wanted, History to go along with this treasure. Thank you very much !!!!. Its a shooter for sure. The lock is beautifully tuned and it cloverleafs at 50. Its my treasure now and im going Elk hunting with it in a couple weeks. If im comfortable at 100 off hand ill be using it. A little more practice but I have time.

You just gave me what I wanted, History to go along with this treasure. Thank you very much !!!!. Its a shooter for sure. The lock is beautifully tuned and it cloverleafs at 50. Its my treasure now and im going Elk hunting with it in a couple weeks. If im comfortable at 100 off hand ill be using it. A little more practice but I have time.
Lyle would be pleased.

I have the same rifle it was my first Flintlock and it also is a good shooter I was late to the flintlock party I always had caplocks until I walked into my favorite gun shop and spied the old warhorse and had to have it.

I’m sorry for your loss of your friend. Very special to get a little history on this rifle. I lived in the Quad Cities around the time of that rifle and got into muzzleloading in the early 80’s. I shot some competition back then and have to think that I had shot against or at least knew of Lyle but am terrible with names and can’t remember. Anyway, you have a special gem there to enjoy! Greg

Latest posts

Back