• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gifted a nice SXS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send that gun to a top barrel smith. It might be
salvageable/reline-able etc. He will inspect the
structural integrity of the frame lock up and
consider your various options. You might have
a shooter after all.
Good idea. If it is a 12 gauge sleeve it and make it a 16 or a 20 gauge.

Talked to Mr. Hoyt today and he said he no longer will work on double barrel muzzle loading shotgun barrels. After a bad experience with one becoming loose reinstalling the breech plugs and having to try and resolder the rib he decided not to touch them anymore.
He suggested proofing the gun as some said and if it doesn’t come apart then shoot it with light loads.

Talked to Mr. Hoyt today and he said he no longer will work on double barrel muzzle loading shotgun barrels. After a bad experience with one becoming loose reinstalling the breech plugs and having to try and resolder the rib he decided not to touch them anymore.
He suggested proofing the gun as some said and if it doesn’t come apart then shoot it with light loads.
It won't come apart. It would have to be paper thin at the breach.

Why? Makes absolutely no sense. Have it reclined or sleeved to the same gauge or caliber. Dropping down in gauge will ruin the balance of the gun.
Well, if you sleeve it the barrel's diameter will be smaller. I doubt if you could sleeve a 12 gauge shotgun and keep it the same gauge. --- Good luck if you try. The sleeve does take up space.

Well, if you sleeve it the barrel's diameter will be smaller. I doubt if you could sleeve a 12 gauge shotgun and keep it the same gauge. --- Good luck if you try. The sleeve does take up space.
Did you consider using a slightly tapered reamer the full length of the barrel as explained to me by a gunsmith so there was a good smooth surface to solder the liner to? Expensive (think of a big number with thee zeros after it), but was told that was a process used by some high end shotgun gunsmiths to save the barrel(s) and keep the same gauge, particularly with Damascus barrels. Guess the guy lied to me. But it got me wondering how gunsmiths add threads and bore out clearance for choke tubes on existing shotgun barrels? Doubt that can be done either, correct?

"Well, if you sleeve it the barrel's diameter will be smaller." The liner will have the actual desired bore in it, if you want the finished barrel to be a 12 gauge the liner comes with a 12 gauge bore. The outside is larger and the barrel must be drilled or bored out to so it's inside diameter is equal (+ a little) to the outside diameter of the liner.

If the barrel walls are thick enough it's possible to keep it the same gauge, most aren't.

Brownells sells the tooling to install choke tubes in existing barrels. You could buy it and DIY if inclined. Again it depends on the wall thickness, some aren't thick enough to be bored out and threaded.

Cannot see the point of sleeve the barrels first i would try and save them starting with lapping out the barrels removing the surplus rust ,next check the wall thickness every gun smith should have one , wall thickness for black powder is a minimum of 29 thou where has nitro is 18 to 20 thou . Some will say that the muzzle ends are paper thin that is mainly due to ramrod ware 2 inches into the bore will be total different , If the wall thickness gauge shows plenty of thickness. over and deep pits then a proper lap would save them . Has for a dull ring on a barrel this can be false if the ribs are loose , when ribs are loose there must be a reason most likely this is because of water and a build up of rust that develops small pin holes in the barrel it is best to remove these and file away the caked rust and old solder. If you are not satisfied about the barrel condition remove the nipple and wood plug the nipple hole and fill the tube with water and leave for 24 hrs if there is a small hole or a small crack then the water will find it. if it stands the water test then you can proceed and re-rib the barrels and move on Over the decades I have saved many muzzle loaders which other wise would have bee scrapped and here in the UK if you still have any doubt it can sent to the proof house and reproofed
Feltwad
P1010003.JPG
P1010006.JPG

as stated, just proof shoot it with the load that you are going to shoot in it and, shoot it and have fun!!! ENDE!

Nice shotgun. I have no idea how you did a colonsopy on the barrel, but it looks pretty rough. Personally I would just hang it over the fireplace and it would look cool. I suppose that would depend on the style of your house and if your wife would let you do it. ( I got away with hanging a Musseloader over the fireplace/Woodstove on a house we had down in Mass years ago) but the decor in my house in Maine wont allow things like Moose Antlers, tried to hang them up and my wife said no way, so they went off to my brother in law who ended up giving them away to someone who tried to get away whith hanging up Moose Antlers. It just does not go with every Decor. I am allowed to have Deer Anteler hung up in the Garage as they are handy to keep snow brushes for the car on.

I have one that looks like that. The bores are really nasty looking. I proofed it and it held together. I now load it with 90 grains of 2f and the same volume of shot. It patterns out to about 20 yards, not so well at 30 yards.

I'm in the process of replacing one of the hammers. The spur broke off. The replacement hammer was cut wrong for the shaft so Ive welded up the hole and will drill and file it square after I finish cleaning up the rough casting surface.

I'm working on a Belgian right now that is in just slightly better shape in the bores. The first step I take is to hone the bore to remove rust and pitting. Bore hones are pretty inexpensive and do a good job cleaning up a shotgun barrel. Honestly, I would not hesitate to fire that SxS after it was cleaned and honed, just start with a light load and work your way up.

I'm working on a Belgian right now that is in just slightly better shape in the bores. The first step I take is to hone the bore to remove rust and pitting. Bore hones are pretty inexpensive and do a good job cleaning up a shotgun barrel. Honestly, I would not hesitate to fire that SxS after it was cleaned and honed, just start with a light load and work your way up.
IF you can find them. Wouldn't a drill with a 3/8" dowel and some 4/0 steel wool do the same thing?

wm

IF you can find them. Wouldn't a drill with a 3/8" dowel and some 4/0 steel wool do the same thing?

wm
Not really, steel wool won't cut enough, and the dowel rod is too ridged. Here's a photo of a bore hone you can get on eBay for under 40 bucks.

Attachments

• hone.jpg
    hone.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 42
Nice shotgun. I have no idea how you did a colonsopy on the barrel, but it looks pretty rough. Personally I would just hang it over the fireplace and it would look cool. I suppose that would depend on the style of your house and if your wife would let you do it. ( I got away with hanging a Musseloader over the fireplace/Woodstove on a house we had down in Mass years ago) but the decor in my house in Maine wont allow things like Moose Antlers, tried to hang them up and my wife said no way, so they went off to my brother in law who ended up giving them away to someone who tried to get away whith hanging up Moose Antlers. It just does not go with every Decor. I am allowed to have Deer Anteler hung up in the Garage as they are handy to keep snow brushes for the car on.
Mount the moose antlers on the front bumper of your pick up.

Back