• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gibbs 451 rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the 100 yd range yesterday. I found a copper tube 24" long at Lowes and also found a 48" 3/8 inch dowel that I made into a range rod. The wood rod is a lot better than the 44" brass rod I use for my Tennessee rifle. I don't have to tilt the rifle for the rod to clear the roof of the range shack. I tried 1 1/2F at 100 grains again and did not use an over powder card. I thought that the 100 grains of powder would erode the Paul Jones bullet base but that doesn't seem to be the case. The benched rifle shot a 7/8" three shot group.
As I was shooting, my wife walked down to the range. She saw that I had multiple folds of towel laying over my right shoulder. When she asked, I told her that I wanted to keep my shirt clean when i was shooting. At least she had the decency to start laughing after she walked a bit up the trail to the house.

I'm fairly certain that your Gibbs has a patent [high-pressure] breech with a diameter somewhat smaller than that of the bore to increase the pressure on firing - making sure that you load consistently ought to be your main concern.
Now I understand why a drop tube is necessary. You have to get the charge in the smaller diameter breech to keep pressure consistent. I would love to see a cut away breech on this rifle.

Gibbs breech.jpg

That’s my pictures of an original Gibbs-Metford breech plug I happen to have... :)

Still not convinced of the need for an additional drop tube, one’s already being used - the barrel. I’ve known shooters have powder charges stick in them, they’re useless when it’s wet, and increase potential for wear at the muzzle.

David

Last edited:
As I was shooting, my wife walked down to the range. She saw that I had multiple folds of towel laying over my right shoulder. When she asked, I told her that I wanted to keep my shirt clean when i was shooting. At least she had the decency to start laughing after she walked a bit up the trail to the house.
She sounds like a good one! Keep her!

That’s my pictures of an original Gibbs-Metford breech plug I happen to have... :)

Still not convinced of the need for an additional drop tube, one’s already being used - the barrel. I’ve known shooters have powder charges stick in them, they’re useless when it’s wet, and increase potential for wear at the muzzle.

David
[/QUOTE]
I do see your point. I am using a 3/8 inch copper tube with tape wrapped around the bottom of the tube and a red plastic funnel on top. In BPCR, powder is dropped into a drop tube to allow an even level in the case and it also settles the powder to the lowest level possible. (uniformity)
I think that Gibbs wanted as much powder as possible in the narrower chamber, my average velocity of 1493 fps had a deviation of 7.07.

...In BPCR, powder is dropped into a drop tube to allow an even level in the case and it also settles the powder to the lowest level possible....
Yes I load BPCR and use a drop tube to load my cartridges, it's the only way to pour from height. With a muzzle loader you're already pouring the powder down a tube (the barrel), and with a drop tube you're just putting a tube within a tube. Some raise concern about powder being held by the fouling, citing the drop tube as a means of preventing that. I've won enough long range matches with my Ped-Gibbs and original match rifles for it not to worry me - for me, the disadvantages out-weigh any advantage that may be gained with a drop tube.

If you're confident the drop tube's giving you the results you want and are aware of the possible problems, then that's one less thing to distract you when on the firing point.

David

The drop tube needs to used with caution. As you mention, it can trap the powder. Also, I have some misfires, the powder does not seem to find its way into the nipple channel.

If you worry about Muzzle wear ,Make or have made a muzzle Protector like the Old Boys used. They also insure the bullet go in Correctly lined to the bore. Just make sure you take it off before you lie down. They go a long way. I know!!

Latest posts

Back