• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Getz barrel front sight removal/replacement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickbow59

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a specific side of the barrel that the front sight should be removed from the dovetail? I need a different front sight height, mine's too low. Thank You

All of the sight dovetails I've seen on factory made muzzleloaders made after the 1960's are of a constant width. They were milled with a dovetail milling cutter so they aren't tapered.
With this in mind, I say, it doesn't make any difference which side the sight is removed from.

edit:
With a Getz barrel, the dovetail was made by a craftsman. He may have used a mill cutter or cut it by hand.
When cutting a dovetail by hand, I try to keep the sides parallel, like a milling machine cutter would make. In other words, I don't intentionally make a tapered dovetail.

Hi Zonie, Thank You very much, that's very helpful to me and just what I needed to know. I actually ordered a new front sight as well as a bunch of other supplies today so I'll be ready to swap it out once it arrives!

Depending on how high the sight needs to be, I have often just put a drop of solder on the blade. Because several of my front sight bases have been engraved or modified, I have often just put a drop of solder on the blade instead of replacing the sight. It is easy to file to shape and saves the engraved sight base.

I may try that, would be a lot easier I'd imagine than starting over with a new sight. Thanks

I made a tool to hold stock on the sight to solder. I lost the picture with a puter fail but it is sort of a "V" block with a sharp screw on top to press metal to the top of the sight. Then I use a copper iron to solder. File to fit.

I use a piece of brass if it needs to be higher than the solder. A sixteenth or so of solder isn't all that visible. I use the low temp solder paste in the joint for brass. Just hit it with a little butane torch til the flux flows, and it sticks.

As a general rule, muzzleloader sights are installed left to right, just like the lock screws and opposite of modern guns. Also, you will probably have file the base of the sight a bit to fit.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who responded. The new sight came and was put in with no problems at all. No filing is necessary and it shoots right where it needs to be!

Back