• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Getting together in the UK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Methven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
There's a few of us scattered around the UK who are very interested in the Fur Trade Era and the Mountain man culture. Until now, there's not really been somewhere to focus our efforts. I started a new UK based community and we're starting to get something together. It'll probably start with some cross skills training and kit making weekends combined with wild camping. Eventually I'd hope it'll turn into a Living History Society where we'd be able to put on public demos as well as have some great fun.

So, if anyone on this brilliant forum lives on my side of the big puddle, shout up and let me know. The more the merrier.

Most of the folks we have already interested come from a bushcraft skills background so are already familiar with many traditional skills such as fire by friction, flint and steel, making primitive tools and clothing, fishing, trapping (small game) and natural shelter building etc. So, we have an excellent ground base for slipping into a specific historical period. Could have been Viking, could have been Saxon but the Fur Trade years are the most appealing.

Getting our hands on suitable firearms is much more difficult in the UK, and has a much higher level of legal conditions to be met, but so far it seems feasable to be able to buy a muzzle loader although smooth bore only on a shotgun licence. Anything with rifling must have a fire arms certificate and the legislation for that is much stricter. Also it seems because of the hassle of using BP, keeping and transporting it, we are probably going to have to go with Pyrodex as a propellant so flint locks are out. Never mind, we'll have to just make do with what we can get and stay within the law.

So, anyone on The Muzzleloading Forum want to comment?

Eric

I have access to a number of private woodlands in the North East, and Scotland is just an hour's drive north from me where wilderness camping and freedom to roam are now enshrined in law. I know of some commercial camp sites further south that are fairly primitive in their facilities (a field with a tap) where they allow camp fires. There's quite a few places, and quite a few people who know of places that I don't.

Eric

Sir,
There are many of us who have been through all of this and some that have never stopped. I myself, shoot flintlocks, and caplocks, belong to a group called New France Old England. Used to do fur trade and also ACW. Still do a bit of fur trade era.
Being a member of the MLAGB, makes owning and using BP firearms and shotguns a little easier. They have branches all over the country. Good luck with your endeavours, enjoy.

Back