• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting the best from my Parker Hale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With such an improvement in group via charge increase I would keep going up in charge until things deteriorated.
You seem to be changing to many things at once!

Well of course Britsmoothy was right, only change one element at a time. I have said it to others often enough. That said, poor weather today meant a few hours in the Fettling Shed. Sizer Mk2 the result; currently .567 (Mk 1 is .565) I have prepared ten charges each of 45 - 60 grains Swiss 2 in 5 grain increments. Plan is to test them next time I get a chance.
Szer Mk2 (1).jpg
Sizer Mk2 (2).jpg

Trouble is, I'm running out of year I had hoped to shoot on the 8th but can't get a booking, and, as I have now given up my caravan at Bisley it's gong to get more difficult. All say Ahhhh!

We have gon into lock down again, all shooting stopped, everybody say aaaahhh🥴. Having pondered it for a while I got down to putting some kit together to make paper cartridges. Now of course I’ll have to wait ‘forever’ to try them. Here is my first one. Some adjustment needed but.......
BA31BC0C-D4F0-43EF-8D4B-699620446013.jpeg

Does anyone have a graphic I could use to print some wrappers please?

Why waste the ink? Use a sheet of thin computer paper and cut it in half on the long edge. On what was now the 8" to 8 1/2" edge mark a point about 3 1/2 inches in, On the other edge, from the other side make another mark at 3 1/2". Cut the diagonal and you have what I use for my paper cartridge. I did make a former from a dowel rod that is turned down so that when I roll a tube along the 5 1/2" edge, the tube slides into my smooth bore. If I am loading a ball in the cartridge, I may dip the paper wrapped ball in my melted lube of 1 part bee's wax and 7 parts of olive oil. To use as a cartridge, I tear off the tail of the cartridge, pour the powder down the muzzle and ram the paper and ball to the breech. I prime from a separate flask or capper and I'm ready to shoot.

I have a contemporary dimensioned drawing, but not a graphic readily used to print your wrappers. The dimensions may assist you making a template?
Thank you, I have,of course, lked at the RP article and decided to use the method there described. The dimensions would be great thank you.I have decided on a very similar font in MS word,not spot on but sufficient for my needs.

Why waste the ink? Use a sheet of thin computer paper and cut it in half on the long edge. On what was now the 8" to 8 1/2" edge mark a point about 3 1/2 inches in, On the other edge, from the other side make another mark at 3 1/2". Cut the diagonal and you have what I use for my paper cartridge. I did make a former from a dowel rod that is turned down so that when I roll a tube along the 5 1/2" edge, the tube slides into my smooth bore. If I am loading a ball in the cartridge, I may dip the paper wrapped ball in my melted lube of 1 part bee's wax and 7 parts of olive oil. To use as a cartridge, I tear off the tail of the cartridge, pour the powder down the muzzle and ram the paper and ball to the breech. I prime from a separate flask or capper and I'm ready to shoot.

I will not argue with anything other than your choice of 'waste the ink?'

Apart from my own increasing interest in the way it was done 'back then' and a childish, (if you like) wish to try something new to me; I run shoots to raise money for charity and the 'punters' who always delight most in shooting the Enfield over all the unmentionables, it would add to my presentation and, I hope the interest for those who pay for the fun. Besides, I have never actually seen anyone use them and as I have always tried to be different from the crowd; if nothing else they will be saying "Silly old &*&^%" behind my back. ;):thumb:

Filched from Research Press,hope he doesn't mind

Printed on brown paper and tied up with string they'll please the punters at the next charity shoot I hope. And, of course, satisfy my curiosity.

Attachments

• Cartridge Packet.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 133
When I had my P-H 3 band, I was able to get good groups at 100 yards with a 500 grain .575 minie (mould maker unknown) and a 44 grain FFFg powder load. This combo was used to break many clay and ceramic targets. I also used the same load for my P-H musketoon.

@bisleyjohn, I think you have a better plan than my suggestion. The plans provided in the Research Press link will make a better cartridge than my instructions.

I wish you well with your demonstration. Yes, best to keep it simple for the 'punters'.

@bisleyjohn, I think you have a better plan than my suggestion. The plans provided in the Research Press link will make a better cartridge than my instructions.

I wish you well with your demonstration. Yes, best to keep it simple for the 'punters'.
Thank you, I used the RP picture as the basis for my label.

50 powder tubes made today but when I’ll get to test them heaven only knows.

You fellas have reminded me that there's a .58 flat based round nosed mold somewhere in this room.
Was going to try it out and see if it would stabilize in the 48" twist.

MR X-Ring Services in Spokane WA makes a flat-base bullet mould, but that is for the S*i*e* rifle amd it's .600". Maybe he makes a similar mould for your smaller sized requirement?

Perhaps Mr PukkaBundook can throw some more light on this for us all?

I am 'getting in to' my Parker Hale Navy Two Band. The learning experience of load-testing is progressing. My shooting year is all but over and I am hoping to spend the winter months preparing to make further (hopefully) improvements next year. I have two Lyman 575213PH moulds with two different base plugs, conical and 'square' . The latter has, so far proved the more accurate with my best load so far (60g Swiss 3F) Research and advice (wecome) on this forum is leading me towards lighter loads which I shall try next time out. I am tempted (just because it's there) to go down the patched 'Pritchet' bullet and paper cartridge route (aware that I can't use paper cartridges in competition). Pritchet moulds are available and Accurate moulds will produce to 'my design' with hollow base - for a cost of course. Assuming that the nut behind the butt will get tighter as I progress, is the expense of a 'Pritchett' mould going to be worth it?

Would paper patched patched 'Pritchett' under-sized hollow based projectiles out-shoot the PH?

I should perhaps add that I would like to shoot paper catrtidges because I run shoots to raise charity money and non-shooters would, I think, find it of historic interest.

Just fired my Parker-Hale .577 3-Bander a few hours ago and it's a Tack Driver at 100 with Paper Patched Pritchett bullets. After getting a feel for how high this rifle hits I fired two in a row from kneeling and put them almost on top of each other.

I use the ones made by Brett at Papercartridges.com. He's deployed right now but he'll be back in early 2021. I'm using up my last handful of them .

These same cartridges shoot mediocre at best out of my Parker-Hale Musketoons so it must be the barrel length - twist ratio. I have no other theory. I hit a 3'x3' target backer at 200 a few times today too.

Attachments

• 20201124_140644.jpg
    20201124_140644.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 87
Back