• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Getting some Graf reinactor Powder....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it's a good idea to mix granulations, although I'll have to say I have not tried it. I vaguely recall reading something about blending powder granulation so, years ago, and the author advised against it. Sorry I can't provide a citation for that, but it seemed like good advice.

3Fg powder seems to be what everyone wants now, so it is consequently harder to get. It's out there, though, if you hunt for it. I went in with a couple of other guys on a powder order just recently. I wanted OE 1.5 Fg (and got it), and one of the other fellows got 3Fg Swiss. The other guy got Red Dot, but we don't talk about that.

The various brands of reenactor powders are really only slightly cheaper than regular grades, especially when you factor in HazMat and shipping fees. I wouldn't blend it with better powder, if it were me.

I'll be interested in what other folks have to say about this, though. You might even try contacting Goex and asking them. They have pretty good customer service.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Could you blend it with goex as an extender?
There is a strange phenomena that has been noticed when dry ingredients are mixed and stored. Its called the Brazil Nut Effect. The outcome is that large particles separate from the smaller ones and rise to the top of the package. Or, actually the smaller particles sink to the bottom of the container forcing the larger particles to the top. Here's a video that demonstrates the effect.

(1) Brazil Nut Effect Explained | #VeritasiumContest - Bing video

The answer to the can you blend it question is no.

I would not use reenactor powder in a live round. I've used it for it's intended purpose ( blanks) and it feels at least to me to have more power/recoil. Without ladder testing for the bullet you are using I would be very careful.

Reanactor powder might not want to work well for you unless your clothing is hand stitched and leather is period tanned as well.

Do you want to extend the Graf Reinactor or the Goex? The Reinactor will make noise and smoke when firing blanks, but personally have not heard of anyone finding it great for accuracy with live rounds. Believe Grafs states something about the value conscious shooter and low pressure patch roundball shooting. Try as it as received and see how it does. Goex will work for blanks and live rounds. Doubt mixing the two is dangerous with normal charges, but why frustrate yourself? Plus I doubt anyone recommends mixing. Cost difference from standard Goex is around $1.50 a pound less. With a 70 grain load that’s about 1.5¢ savings per shot for the value conscious shooter.

Well what are you "extending" and what size ? Do you simply have some regular GOEX for blanks and you want to mix what you have left by combining it with some of the less expensive (or perhaps the only type available) "reenactor grade" powder?

So if you do, you should be using GOEX 3Fg to mix with Reenactor Grade powder.

While it would not cause a problem for your muzzleloader, you could experience enough of a variation between shots when live firing to have poor groups when target shooting or poor shot placement when hunting. So best not to mix the powder when live firing. Here's what GOEX writes.

"Goex Reenactor is dedicated to and manufactured for the historical reenactor and the value-conscious black powder recreational shooter. Loading by volume charge as regular-grade black powder, this product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.

However, it is also suitable for loading in recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures. With 100% black powder ignition, it is very reliable with every shot. Reenactor Gunpowder is value priced for every budget minded shooter pursuing living history."

There is a strange phenomena that has been noticed when dry ingredients are mixed and stored. Its called the Brazil Nut Effect.
The answer to the can you blend it question is no.

THEN the Brazil Nut Effect should be a problem for the Reenactor Grade Powder alone in its can, but it's not. ;)

The only problem I see, again, if you mix the similar sized granules is perhaps a variation in muzzle velocity, akin to having pre-loaded powder amounts, but some are 3Fg and some are 2Fg and you don't pay attention to which you are using in your gun, while on the range or hunting. You would have the same problem with mixing different brands of 3Fg, say Swiss and GOEX.

Very diligent target shooters, however, won't even mix differing lots of the same brand of powder, due to possible variations.....

I would not use reenactor powder in a live round. I've used it for it's intended purpose ( blanks) and it feels at least to me to have more power/recoil. Without ladder testing for the bullet you are using I would be very careful.

As one can plainly read, it is intended for shooting live rounds by the GOEX company wording "..., value-conscious black powder recreational shooter". Patched round ball in moderate loads would fall into the recommended category of "low pressures".

I seriously doubt that GOEX would fail to warn a buyer if a specific product was made that could not be safely used for shooting in muzzle loading arms, all other things being equal. Reenactor grade powder is made in large lots, with slightly less screening, so that when one orders in bulk, as reenactment groups normally do (mitigating the hazmat and shipping fee) the financial savings make a difference. Reenactment and Living History Groups do on occasion, fire their muzzleloaders with live ammo, and likely do not use a different powder if the group has issued Reenactor powder. Whether the performance of the powder is satisfactory is up to the judgement of the shooter and that shooter's personal requirements.

LD

"Goex Reenactor is dedicated to and manufactured for the historical reenactor and the value-conscious black powder recreational shooter. Loading by volume charge as regular-grade black powder, this product is ideal for blank fire in Muskets, Carbines, Pistols and Cannon.

However, it is also suitable for loading in recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures. With 100% black powder ignition, it is very reliable with every shot. Reenactor Gunpowder is value priced for every budget minded shooter pursuing living history."

THEN the Brazil Nut Effect should be a problem for the Reenactor Grade Powder alone in its can, but it's not. ;)

LD
The Brazil Nut Effect is not a problem for Reenactor Grade powder as the mix of grain sizes isn't any particular issue for firing of blanks and if accuracy on target is not a driving factor in use of the powder, then its not a problem for most recreational shooting and some hunting applications.

We have used the Reenactor Grade powder for live rounds when we shoot as a unit in Woods Walks. Precision accuracy is not a requirement for us to have an enjoyable experience shooting our King's Muskets. We just need to have a powder that goes off reliably.

Is the Reenactor powder glazed, or graphite coated? Just curious...

I believe I read someplace that Jack's Battle Powder is unglazed, although I have never seen it and have no personal experience with it. The name, "Battle Powder," suggests it may have been intended for reenactment use, although I am aware that some people use it for live fire.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back