• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Getting a lot of Misfires.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try real black
Amen, Bro. I will add, my guess is that you are using way too much moisture for your swabbing. I encourage swabbing between shots but with only a damp, not soaked patch. Be sure to clean well to remove any lubricants after storage and before shooting.

Like the title states, I’m getting a lot of misfires. In my pedersoli scout, I have to pull the nipple off and load the nipple area with powder for the powder in the barrel to ignite, then after I swab for the next shot, I’m having issues with the powder igniting.

Tried both pyrodex and triple 7. Is there something I’m doing wrong causing these misfires? Missed a pretty large buck opening day of ML season because I basically popped a cap at it.
Pedersoli has a variation of the patent breech in all their muzzleloaders. Mine used to do what yours does. First, the chamber was plugged/restricted. I found this out with one of the cheap cameras attached to my IPhone. So I cleaned that out using a 30 caliber brass brush. Secondly, when I swabbed between shots I pushed all the debris into the chamber. It got to the point that every time I swabbed I had to fire a cap to clear the channel. So I changed my swabbing to using the next smallest jag and a larger cotton patch with Minimal wetness. While going down the barrel the patch wetted the fouling slightly and upon retrieving the patch bunched up pulling fouling out. Seemed to work better.

Like the title states, I’m getting a lot of misfires. In my pedersoli scout, I have to pull the nipple off and load the nipple area with powder for the powder in the barrel to ignite, then after I swab for the next shot, I’m having issues with the powder igniting.

Tried both pyrodex and triple 7. Is there something I’m doing wrong causing these misfires? Missed a pretty large buck opening day of ML season because I basically popped a cap at it.
Due to the lack of black powder in Montana, I wanted to use 777 in my last new percussion 50. A little research lead me to believe that I probably should slightly enlarge the nipple hole. Using wire bits, I found out new nipples are about .026. I didn't consider the cost of a nipple prohibitive if I wrecked one, So I drilled one out to .030 before I even shot the rifle. Getting a misfire about once every 10 shots I went up to a .0315. that seemed to do the trick and I haven't had any more problems with that rifle. I don't load maximum loads, so I think I'm fairly safe for a long time before the nipple enlarges to where it creates a problem. I did buy a new stainless steel one to use for this, figuring it would survive better.
Squint

If the flash channel is clear and there’s black powder in the fire chamber, it’s going to fire, almost without fail. If it doesn’t the channel is clogged, flint or percussion. I wipe between shots with a standard breech, never with a patent breech. All good advice about cleaning.

That's about what I have been thinking on this. Musket caps worked great on my old 1862bSpringfield - what it is designed for. I cannot ever remember a misfire on that rifle, as those musket caps throw a lot of spark.

You probably have a patent breech In that gun. Get a 22 cal. Brush, run it down the barrel and clean it out. An endoscope or a search on the forum will show you the profile. Unless you are able to flush the barrel and breech with water this part of your rifle fouls; and fouls hard! I have gun with one and until I learned to clean it, it was the “King of Misfires!”. Good luck!
I have had a very similar experience with my Lyman Great Plains rifle. At first it shot with no problem, then I had big misfire problems.
And when I started to have the problem a very good shooter in our club talked to me about cleaning that patent breech.
Then I got a cleaning tube and flushed it thoroughly with hot water, and also punched out the cleanout, and the misfires went away.

I got a borescope (ensoscope} and sure enough the patent breech had a lot of black residue in it. So yes, it does get dirty, stay dirty, and takes extra work to clean out.
Now i frequently clean it with the flushing tube (at home, not at the range).
Now whenever the misfires start I apply the same cure. It works every time.

Been there, done that! I switched to musket caps

Back