Get up gear

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Spence10

Cannon
Reaction score
I looked at types of dye. Thought of steeping a bunch of tea and soaking it in that. Or just go out and get er dirty. Will see what happens
(John Ferdinand Dalziel Smyth, *Tour In The United States; The Present Situation, Population, Agriculture, Commerce, Customs, Manners And A Description Of The Indian Nations", V1 & 2, 1784

Describing the dress of Carolina backwoodsmen:

"Their hunting, or rifle shirts, they have also died [sic] in variety of colours, some yellow, others red, some brown and many wear them quite white.

Spence

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I’m thinking white wasn’t white for long. Smoke and dirt, grimy hands rubbed on after work.
I wonder that ‘white’ was just plain tow colored.
That style was sometimes seen with fringe a different color then the body.
A camp or too will color it well.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the junk store today and found the leather bag for my muzz gear for $10
"Leather bags" from thrift stores mostly seem to look like what they are, a purse, BUT yours looks like and probably is a black powder pouch. So well done. You may want to look at hitting the outside with some mink oil.

LD

Reaction score
Nice start now go hunting, run around the woods a bit, get some grime and blood stains, fall in a creek build a Smokey fire and sit close to it. All joking aside the more you use your kit the better it will patina. I would not dye it at all using it will get you the look you are after. Even way back when things were new.

Latest posts

Group Builder