• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GET OFF YOUR BACKSIDES

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends where you are. The local shop (20 miles away) ... Correction, my shop is 56 miles away...what am I thinking?!

You drive too fast! :D

I agree local availability is highly dependent on one's locality. Kinda like prospecting: some places have large veins of ore! Others, not so much.

But the essence of the OP's post is SPOT ON - get up! Get moving, keep moving. Move your butt and your brain will follow. On a side note, here's a little PSA:

Don't rinse your laptop.

That said, the 10 days I went without a computer (still had an Agent 86 fone) were some of the most productive I've had in recent years (in terms of non-work time). A lot of that was tinkering with unrelated & unmentionable stuff, but I finished refinishing a Kentucky pistol, loaded up some BP shotshells/cartridges and tried 'em out, shot my new-to-me Pedersoli 12g SxS for the first time (and developed a problem, to be addressed later), shot my CVA 12g and worked up a good turkey load, cleaned, checked, oiled a bunch o' stuff, organized more... You get the picture.

There's a lot more to ML'ing than powder, caps & shot. For me, "wasting" gas and time shopping around is often inspiring and productive in unexpected ways. If I go in search of X and can't find it, I get motivated to DIY, find a work-around, or pursue a variant of the path I'm on.

I went to a gunshow in davenport iowa today and found blackpowder for sale. Also oodles of TC's and even musket caps.. I hear everybody on this forum complaining about shortages. But I'm not seeing it. Push away from the keyboard.
I’m glad you found stuff at the show you went. Been to numerous gunshows here in Central Florida and have found squat for muzzle loaders, ZERO. What I did find are ridiculous high gun and ammo prices. 😒
However have found all I need on the internet mainly Gunbroker, Midway, Graf and Natchez some stuff ordered with hazmat fee waived or free shipping so the keyboard got me great deals.

I’m glad you found stuff at the show you went. Been to numerous gunshows here in Central Florida and have found squat for muzzle loaders, ZERO. What I did find are ridiculous high gun and ammo prices. 😒
However have found all I need on the internet mainly Gunbroker, Midway, Graf and Natchez some stuff ordered with hazmat fee waived or free shipping so the keyboard got me great deals.
I read all the time about modern gun guys crying about shortages too. 32 40 supposedly can't be found anywhere and if it is it's $3 or $4 a pop. I bought 50 rounds yesterday for $.35 a piece. Can't find stuff like that staring at a computer screen.

I agree local availability is highly dependent on one's locality. Kinda like prospecting: some places have large veins of ore! Others, not so much.

But the essence of the OP's post is SPOT ON - get up! Get moving, keep moving. Move your butt and your brain will follow. On a side note, here's a little PSA:

Don't rinse your laptop.

That said, the 10 days I went without a computer (still had an Agent 86 fone) were some of the most productive I've had in recent years (in terms of non-work time). A lot of that was tinkering with unrelated & unmentionable stuff, but I finished refinishing a Kentucky pistol, loaded up some BP shotshells/cartridges and tried 'em out, shot my new-to-me Pedersoli 12g SxS for the first time (and developed a problem, to be addressed later), shot my CVA 12g and worked up a good turkey load, cleaned, checked, oiled a bunch o' stuff, organized more... You get the picture.

There's a lot more to ML'ing than powder, caps & shot. For me, "wasting" gas and time shopping around is often inspiring and productive in unexpected ways. If I go in search of X and can't find it, I get motivated to DIY, find a work-around, or pursue a variant of the path I'm on.
The part about no computer is spot on. I think we 'modern humans' tend to spend way too much time online. I know I most certainly do. Only so many hours in a day or a lifetime. Get off your arse and go live life a bit.

I read all the time about modern gun guys crying about shortages too. 32 40 supposedly can't be found anywhere and if it is it's $3 or $4 a pop. I bought 50 rounds yesterday for $.35 a piece. Can't find stuff like that staring at a computer screen.
Yes, this is absolutely true. If you have anything besides a 22lr, 9mm, 6.5creedmore, 308win, or 223/5.56 you can't find ammo at any price. Yes that is an over simplification, but you get my point. I turned down a 40+ year old NIB/unfired/blemish free American made somewhat rare H-R 45/70 Trapdoor at a fair price because I can't find trapdoor rated ammo or even 45/70 brass to reload. I have plenty of both black and smokeless powder to use and primers AND I can find various molds to cast the bullets. But no loaded trapdoor ammo or brass.

Yes, this is absolutely true. If you have anything besides a 22lr, 9mm, 6.5creedmore, 308win, or 223/5.56 you can't find ammo at any price. Yes that is an over simplification, but you get my point. I turned down a 40+ year old NIB/unfired/blemish free American made somewhat rare H-R 45/70 Trapdoor at a fair price because I can't find trapdoor rated ammo or even 45/70 brass to reload. I have plenty of both black and smokeless powder to use and primers AND I can find various molds to cast the bullets. But no loaded trapdoor ammo or brass.
Look at Gunbroker, several listings for 45/70 brass. Not the best price but it’s available.

I live in Davenport Iowa.That gun show is only walking distance away. I didn't go this time as I didn't need any thing I'm also in easy driving distance from Crater fireworks.Been there a few times. Good place to work with too. I do also make my own percussion caps and well fixed for that. The gun laws here are very good to gun owners.

Don't rinse your laptop.

Yep, gotta keep moving just like any other piece of machinery. Sit around, rust up and you're done!

We live in the land of black guns, not black powder in Central Florida.

Look at Gunbroker, several listings for 45/70 brass. Not the best price but it’s available.
Unfortunately the gun has since sold. But thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Last edited:
I went to a fairly good size gun show yesterday and there was one inline. Not one single percussion or flint black powder weapon of any kind. No powder or caps either. A few tomahawks. We stopped in a really big gun shop on the way back. Bunch of inlines. Three CVA Kentucky style percussions with the two piece stocks. No other types of percussion rifles or flints. They had four Gen two Colt percussion pistols and one Ruger Old Army. Went to good size gun show last weekend. Two 1860 Army's, one inline, and not one flint or percussion rifle. Weekend before went to two shows. One Investarms Hawken .50 for $350, a couple of inlines, one original old beat up percussion rifle, and that was it. It has been like that this year. So you can't make blanket statements about getting out and looking. It depends on where you are what you find.

Last edited:
I went to a gunshow in davenport iowa today and found blackpowder for sale. Also oodles of TC's and even musket caps.. I hear everybody on this forum complaining about shortages. But I'm not seeing it. Push away from the keyboard.
how much did caps cost... around here gun show prices are crazy!!!!!

Probably 'cause very few know about it. To search online today you have to wade through dozens of scam sites, vetting each one. Very time consuming. I'm good for a while with about 1800 caps but will keep an eye out checking the trusted suppliers. Don't RWS caps usually come in 250 count tins?
Do as you wish. All I want is a reasonable price from an established and reputable company. Not chasing cheap prices from odd websites. Why on earth would Nate's Academy of Electric Fan Repair and Drawbridge Oiling in Cat Scratch Illinois be a better source than, say, Graf's??????

Back