• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

George "Peskunck" Larrabee Has Passed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a card telling me Peskunck has passed away from cancer. He and I have worked together for years on the Junior Blasts column in Muzzle Blasts. George is well known for his articles, illustrations, and efforts to keep the Abenaki language alive. When Peskunck and I first started working together he had an email account that he could access from home. As time went by his use of technology devolved and he stopped using email and we had to converse via snail mail. Peskunck had many irons in the fire and he would often lose the articles of mine that he was to illustrate. I countered that by sending them in fluorescent yellow or bright red envelopes so they would stand out on his drawing board. Peskunck was a stickler for accuracy and put a great deal of research into the clothes and firearms the people in my articles should be wearing. He was also tireless in his efforts to help the NMLRA secure funds for the future and had ideas to offer NMLRA members coloring sheets and puzzles for a small fee. When he passed away on March 9th, his editor, Gail Johnson promised his new book, A Visit With Grey Lock, Book 2 would make it to the market. Working with Peskunck was always an adventure as he always wrote each letter alternating between English and Abenaki, writing the same sentence twice. While of European ancestry, he loved portraying the Abenaki-speaking peoples of his area, including using the name Peskunck. I believe as a young man he was a paratrooper and on occasion would send me snippets of his perils during those times. I don't know how many of you realize how much he contributed to our hobby and understanding of the past. His passion and resolve will be missed. - Alan Garbers

Back