• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

George Newton nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've been running and gunning all week, hopefully things will slow down and i can get in my shop Saturday. I'll try and clean up the threads and see if they'll run up in my thread checker.

I had a thread gauge, can't lay my hands on it, so i ordered another.

Im hoping i don't have to buy $30 nipples.. we'll see.
Thanks to everyone for the assist. I can't wait to fire off this dbl.

Well I've been running and gunning all week, hopefully things will slow down and i can get in my shop Saturday. I'll try and clean up the threads and see if they'll run up in my thread checker.

I had a thread gauge, can't lay my hands on it, so i ordered another.

Im hoping i don't have to buy $30 nipples.. we'll see.
Thanks to everyone for the assist. I can't wait to fire off this dbl.

Back in the 20th century, DGW was selling repro British threaded nipples. As I recall, they were .255" and I believe threads were 26 TPI. Wish I still had my old catalogs to reference, but their current web page has both 255 and 260 nipples for less than 5 bucks. Here's the link for my search:
Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies.

I did see a "9/32 X 26 BSS" nipple in the Dixie link you posted but that's the only 26 threads per inch nipple I saw. (I'm sure they meant to write "BSF).

I'm rather sure that the .255 and .260 nipples are the standard Unified thread series with the 60° thread form. They are made to be used in worn out threaded holes so they are oversize.

I took my rifle with me to Friendship last week since I had to go to the NMLRA Board meeting. Mike Eder said my rifle took a 7-1mm metric thread, and he did not have any in stock. I guess I will order one from TOW.

Fleener

Lowe's has a thread check guage for SAE threads for about $5.50. According to the picture in this link, it has a 26 TPI blade on it. The BSF threads are often 26 TPI. The 1/4" BSF threads is one of them.

LOWE'S THREAD GUAGE

Last edited:
Just remember, if the threads are indeed BSF threads, the spacing between the guage will be right but the teeth of the guage won't fit fully down into them.

The guage is made to SAE or Unified thread form which has a 60 degree included angle between the thread faces. The BSF threads have a 55 degree included angle between the thread faces.

I have no idea what the threads on your nipple are. Speaking of the 26 TPI thread spacing, the metric 1.0 mm thread pitch is about as close to it as it gets.
1.0 mm spacing is equal to .0394". .0394" equals 25.4 threads per inch.

Adding fuel to the fire, the 1980 Dixie Gun Works catalog talks a little about some British nipples. On page 224 it mentions an Adams Revolver nipple that uses a #13 cap. It has .215-32 threads on it. Also mentioned is a "Webberly type" nipple with a square drive. It has .207-32 threads. Then a very small nipple for "English, French and German revolvers" with a .180-32 thread and a Pepperbox nipple with a .215-32 thread is mentioned.

Back