George II Cypher Gorget?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As the title says, does anyone know if these can be purchased anywhere? The closest option I've found is this and it isn't really close at all:

Gorget Nickel Silver w Engraved Crest

This is an optional item I'm trying to source for my F&I era 42nd RHR Captain's uniform. Here is a picture of an original from roughly the correct period:
IMG-20210902-WA0007.jpg

This may be a case where I just have to get a plain brass one and find an engraver or give it a go myself at some point, but just thought I'd ask first. As I said, this is a pretty optional piece so I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it.

Timber Rattler

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking for one too with the 1750s George II royal cipher. The best I have found is a "blank" brass gorget for $13 (!) online at Walmart (of all places), but cannot find anybody who can engrave it for me. I ordered the Walmart gorget not expecting much but after it arrived was surprised to find that it's actually pretty solid.

So I'm definitely watching this thread for suggestions on engraving.

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking for one too with the 1750s George II royal cipher. The best I have found is a "blank" brass gorget for $13 (!) online at Walmart (of all places), but cannot find anybody who can engrave it for me. I ordered the Walmart gorget not expecting much but after it arrived was surprised to find that it's actually pretty solid.

So I'm definitely watching this thread for suggestions on engraving.
Yeah I basically ended up ordering that same one from Amazon. If I end up finding someone to engrave it I'll let you know. I guess until then I will just wear it blank.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I did see those, my only issue with them is that they have the full royal coat of arms. All of the originals I have seen only have the royal cypher ("crown/GR") and the number of the regiment, at least for the 42nd anyway.
OK, have you tried asking at Jewelry shops if someone can/will make the correct engraving?

Also, there may be some engravers who are themselves reenactors OR you might try asking other Officers you run across.

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, have you tried asking at Jewelry shops if someone can/will make the correct engraving?

Also, there may be some engravers who are themselves reenactors OR you might try asking other Officers you run across.

Gus
Yeah I am planning to ask around at future rendezvous, I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done, it's just a minor detail I'd like to add at some point.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I did see those, my only issue with them is that they have the full royal coat of arms. All of the originals I have seen only have the royal cypher ("crown/GR") and the number of the regiment, at least for the 42nd anyway.
OH, IF you can get yours engraved, I would also ask about getting your gorget gold anodized afterwards.

This is something inexpensive enough we Marines have it available already done for the Buttons and other Belt Plates, etc. for our Dress Blue Uniforms. Looks EXACTLY like gold plated, but is much longer wearing.

Gus

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OH, IF you can get yours engraved, I would also ask about getting your gorget gold anodized afterwards.

This is something inexpensive enough we Marines have it available already done for the Buttons and other Belt Plates, etc. for our Dress Blue Uniforms. Looks EXACTLY like gold plated, but is much longer wearing.

Gus
That's a good shout, I'll keep that in mind!

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
My 1st choices for engraving something of historical correctness would be Dave Crisalli or David Person.
Both are here.

Here are Mr. Crisalli's two websites. The 1st may be more in line with what you seek, but, it is the same gentleman doing the work,

Last edited:

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As the title says, does anyone know if these can be purchased anywhere? The closest option I've found is this and it isn't really close at all:

This is an optional item I'm trying to source for my F&I era 42nd RHR Captain's uniform. Here is a picture of an original from roughly the correct period:
View attachment 92497
This may be a case where I just have to get a plain brass one and find an engraver or give it a go myself at some point, but just thought I'd ask first. As I said, this is a pretty optional piece so I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on it.
I don't think that the $ 37.00 one is that bad. after all you are a reenactor not the real thing. and the public will never now? jmho.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score

View attachment 92497
I think that the ORIGIONAL ONE!, look's rely cheap & hokey! as stated I think that the other one looks good. better. jmho.

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a thought on "cost/value/expense" that from me, who is flat broke right now, should be taken with a grain of salt.
If one could get someone of high talent to make one of these and make it right, make it of good material and of proper workmanship, it could be something of higher "value" than initially thought.
Better metal isn't going to turn the clothing at your neck green, lol. It may be passed down, or even just found amongst your things later by a grandchild and become a cherished memento of grandpa's memory. And, this could apply to someone who wants that memory and that connection but isn't interested in guns.
It can also be that little touch, that little detail that really sets your reenactment/living history outfit off and makes it stand apart and above.
In my mind, IF one has the means to do so, getting this made nicely may be well worth the cost.

Latest posts