• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gentleman's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I decided to get a friend to make me a rifle which may have been used in the RMFT and was a flintlock and not a Hawken . I decided on a J Henry English pattern rifle , The 42" barrel was too long for use off a horse , so I decided to get a 32" barrel , as if it had been cut down later , and leave the brass muzzle cap off as it may have been on a rifle which was shortened in the 1820's . The rifle is stocked in New Zealand grown English walnut , the barrel is a .54 Colerain swamped barrel . The lock is an L&R Ashmore lock . The maker stamped it with British proof marks and turned it form a cutdown J Henry into the type of rifle an English Gentleman may have used , It had a double blade rear sight . I have removed the v sight and replaced it with an aperture as my eyesight aint what it was . This is my deer stalking rifle
20211209_155559 (2).jpg
20211209_155534 (3).jpg
20211209_155624 (2).jpg
P1020015 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Nice rifle. I would like to see more pics of the New Zealand grown English walnut. If you are using a digital/phone camera, a darker background will show off the dark wood better.

Thanks.

That is a very nice "totin' rifle" and perfect for the bush. I bet it handles like a dream; am I correct?

Dribble...............................................................................................................

Thanks for your remarks
Update : Her name is Hannah , The barrel is 34" not 32" Colerain swamped barrel . Trigger pull is 1lb 12 oz . I think Earl cut it down a little . She weighs 8lb 14 oz .
I got her to "out Hawken" my Uberti Hawken . She shoots 95-98 ( 2-3") with 10 shots on the international target at 50 m when the B*##%Y wind isnt blowing a gale .
Max range on big red deer is about 100 meters , 110 yards , although she can shoot a lot further .
Bill Kilgore thanks for the photo tip , The only black background I have is a Pelican case and a gun bag , so I got her out of the safe , whipped off her sock and photographed her , still with her sleeping ply flint in her jaws .
I hope these pics are better . The 2 full length pics are the most accurate when it comes to stock color .You can see the natural stripe in the wood and that she has had considerable use , you can also see what I call buttery yellow brass , that is age and hand rubbing .
I just figured out she is nearly 25 years old . Some of the stock marks are from living in a safe in earth quake country .
It was when hunting with her that I found that Fallow deer looking straight at her at 40 paces can't jump the flash.

P1020124 (6).JPG
P1020125 (2).JPG
P1020108.JPGP1020110.JPGP1020104.JPGP1020121.JPGP1020116 (2).JPGP1020118.JPGP1020107.JPG

Last edited:
Nice rifle. I would like to see more pics of the New Zealand grown English walnut. If you are using a digital/phone camera, a darker background will show off the dark wood better.

Thanks.
Bill I have a piece of NZ Walnut in the rafters of my garage , it is long rifle length and would knock your sox off . I will get it down at take a photo .

Last edited:
Thanks for your remarks
Update : Her name is Hannah , The barrel is 34" not 32" Colerain swamped barrel . Trigger pull is 1lb 12 oz . I think Earl cut it down a little . She weighs 8lb 14 oz .
I got her to "out Hawken" my Uberti Hawken . She shoots 95-98 ( 2-3") with 10 shots on the international target at 50 m when the B*##%Y wind isnt blowing a gale .
Max range on big red deer is about 100 meters , 110 yards , although she can shoot a lot further .
Bill Kilgore thanks for the photo tip , The only black background I have is a Pelican case and a gun bag , so I got her out of the safe , whipped off her sock and photographed her , still with her sleeping ply flint in her jaws .
I hope these pics are better . The 2 full length pics are the most accurate when it comes to stock color .You can see the natural stripe in the wood and that she has had considerable use , you can also see what I call buttery yellow brass , that is age and hand rubbing .
I just figured out she is nearly 25 years old . Some of the stock marks are from living in a safe in earth quake country .
It was when hunting with her that I found that Fallow deer looking straight at her at 40 paces can't jump the flash.

View attachment 120811View attachment 120812View attachment 120813View attachment 120814View attachment 120817View attachment 120818View attachment 120819View attachment 120822View attachment 120823
Very nice quality lock bet it provides fast ignition !

The wood is really nice! New Zealand-grown English walnut. I bet y'all have a lot of interesting trees down there.
In the last photo, it looks like a notch has been shaped into the stock to allow a better starting grip on the ramrod. I've never seen that before, but it's a great idea!
Nice rifle!

The wood is really nice! New Zealand-grown English walnut. I bet y'all have a lot of interesting trees down there.
In the last photo, it looks like a notch has been shaped into the stock to allow a better starting grip on the ramrod. I've never seen that before, but it's a great idea!
Nice rifle!

I own a rifle with the "notch" at the muzzle end and it does help with grasping the rod. I also think it looks cool.

Very Nice indeed, I have always liked the lines of the J Henry pattern rifles.

I decided to get a friend to make me a rifle which may have been used in the RMFT and was a flintlock and not a Hawken . I decided on a J Henry English pattern rifle , The 42" barrel was too long for use off a horse , so I decided to get a 32" barrel , as if it had been cut down later , and leave the brass muzzle cap off as it may have been on a rifle which was shortened in the 1820's . The rifle is stocked in New Zealand grown English walnut , the barrel is a .54 Colerain swamped barrel . The lock is an L&R Ashmore lock . The maker stamped it with British proof marks and turned it form a cutdown J Henry into the type of rifle an English Gentleman may have used , It had a double blade rear sight . I have removed the v sight and replaced it with an aperture as my eyesight aint what it was . This is my deer stalking rifle View attachment 120564View attachment 120565View attachment 120566View attachment 120569
Hey, very nice! Love the look of the brass, it's all a very handsome rifle.

Latest posts

Back