• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

General Questions to do with Cap & Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks nice on first glance and it may well function perfectly but it's kind of plain, utilitarian, too much so for my taste. The artistic side Muzzleloading is a large part of the appeal. At least for me.
I use a Ted Cash snail style capper for revolvers. Holds a tin of caps and works for everything except Remingtons.
91makiIW3BL._SL1500_.jpg
I have the Ted Cash capper like your's but can't get it to work with any of my revolvers. I must be doing something wrong.

Otherwise, it works great for single shot pistols and rifles.

TC U View snail cappers will work with Remington 1858's, but this capper has been discontinued.
RWS caps won't work with this capper because they're just a little longer than others and won't fit inside of it.
Too bad that TC stopped making them.
Even though they're made from plastic and can break, they work fine.

opplanet-thompson-center-u-view-capper-7226.jpg

Last edited:
Plastic usually means cheaper (frugal) . Is the trade off from brass to plastic that much cheaper and is it really worth it? I'm sure the capper works just fine but how long do you estimate it to last?

Plastic usually means cheaper (frugal) . Is the trade off from brass to plastic that much cheaper and is it really worth it? I'm sure the capper works just fine but how long do you estimate it to last?

It's worth it because it works well with a variety of guns, is lightweight, is easy and rapid to use and holds a lot of caps.
It doesn't have any metal parts that will rust, corrode or turn green.
And as long as it's well cared for than this TC plastic capper could last more than a lifetime.

Last edited:
Yes I do have it and it does exactly what it says it does and that is -- IT WORKS. I also have the Ted Cash Snail type caper shown above but it does not work well on the Remington revolvers where as the Polish Caper does.

I like having the brass, I think it is part of the black powder lore and for me is part of the attraction.

Edit: Plus the durability of it means I don't have to buy replacements anytime soon. I just don't like plastic.

I use the straight brass capper but had some problems. Caps could flip so I soldered shim stock inside. Then the end was too thin so I soldered a thick piece on so I can seat a primer fully with the capper.

I gave away my Ted Cash cappers. I have 4 TC plastic cappers. 2 were bought when tc was selling then. All in perferct condition. Caps wont fall out or flip over. I have always used CCI caps.

If you take care of your equipment, your equipment will take care of you.

I have an old palmetto that I got used over 20 years ago and had to replace the nipples because it had been played with and dry fired too much. I replaced the nipples with stainless steel. I have not had any problems with nipples with the proper care in 40 plus years.

Back