• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General Questions to do with Cap & Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pins are for quick alignment when the barrel is place back on the arbor shaft. The wedge is what holds the barrel in alignment and to the arbor shaft. The pins are important but not as much as the barrel wedge and it's fitment to the arbor shaft. Also the barrel should bottom on the arbor shaft a couple of thou before or after the barrel touches the water shelf front of the frame. Pietta does a good job of this. Uberti not so much.

Are factory originals from Italy about as good as some of these " quality replacements" ? I'm not referring to Ruger nipples.

That was my question should the pins remain in shelf/frame front or in the barrel assembly? Or one in each? Mine does one of each. Is that normal?

Am very familiar with JB Weld, in fact I think I have couple of tubes of it. JB Weld is a name brand, I know for a fact I have Harbor Freights version of epoxy. But I much prefer the real thing.

That would be true with some of the quality revolvers on the market. The Ruger Old Army was designed that way. Nipples should last nearly indefinitely with that kind of design.
That’s been my experience. I have a couple sets of ampco nipples for the old armies waiting for the day they’re needed...

Nice capper, I'd like to get one but $54.00, really! That would buy alot of tomato and other vegetable plants. This time of year the local nursery gets my spare cash. As great as Muzzleloading is, its not my only hobby.

I watched 2 videos showing how it works.
I thought that the brass head looked a little bulky and the capping procedure doesn't allow the cap to be stripped from the head.
That's because the head doesn't appear to have flexible metal or plastic fingers holding the cap in place like some do.
Some outfit could probably improve the head design and how it operates if there aren't better ones out there already.

Last edited:
Nice capper, I'd like to get one but $54.00, really! That would buy alot of tomato and other vegetable plants. This time of year the local nursery gets my spare cash. As great as Muzzleloading is, its not my only hobby.
It looks nice on first glance and it may well function perfectly but it's kind of plain, utilitarian, too much so for my taste. The artistic side Muzzleloading is a large part of the appeal. At least for me.
I use a Ted Cash snail style capper for revolvers. Holds a tin of caps and works for everything except Remingtons.
91makiIW3BL._SL1500_.jpg

Just out of curiosity what size nipple does a Ruger Old Army use? They probably in a class (or size rather) all by themselves, I would imagine.

Try this type of capper <https://www.polishcappers.com/> it works on all revolvers

That's a good one. Well worth the $. Holds a full tin+ of caps plus the solid head allows you to fully seat the cap.

There is a piece of metal that grips the cap between the head and face plate.

34314114905_de08949755_b.jpg

When I bought mine, I bought a 2nd one and sent it to Blackpowder Shooter 44 on youtube:

Back