• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General Powder Storage - Plastic vs Metal containers.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Last time I bought BP it was GOEX and it came in metal containers. This weekend I plan to buy some Scheutzen and it (same as Swiss for that matter) appear to come in plastic containers. Are metal containers and better or worse than plastic ones? Should I toss a little dessicant pack in the container?

Last time I bought BP it was GOEX and it came in metal containers. This weekend I plan to buy some Scheutzen and it (same as Swiss for that matter) appear to come in plastic containers. Are metal containers and better or worse than plastic ones? Should I toss a little dessicant pack in the container?
Either is fine for an unopened container. Plastic containers are less expensive to manufacture than a classic metal can.

Personal experience - as long as the container is used for the same powder, either original metal or plastic will be good to go for many years. (keep black powder in black powder factory container and substitute in the factory container it came in, topping off as you use).

Do not - I repeat do not - store powder in such things as a plastic dish soap container. My dad did this. Years later, the plastic deteriorated to less than eggshell consistency and actually fell apart when I moved it. Granted that was smokeless, not black, but I do not trust the substitutes not to do likewise.

Personal experience - as long as the container is used for the same powder, either original metal or plastic will be good to go for many years. (keep black powder in black powder factory container and substitute in the factory container it came in, topping off as you use).

Do not - I repeat do not - store powder in such things as a plastic dish soap container. My dad did this. Years later, the plastic deteriorated to less than eggshell consistency and actually fell apart when I moved it. Granted that was smokeless, not black, but I do not trust the substitutes not to do likewise.
Many a powder measure hopper has been discolored and rendered opaque by leaving powder stored in them.

I've been buying smokeless powder for years in plastic containers and have never had any issues. Recently I bought 10 pounds of Schutzen in plastic containers. One thing I never do is store any powder in anything but the original container. I don't consider blackpowder in a flask as being stored.

I've been buying smokeless powder for years in plastic containers and have never had any issues. Recently I bought 10 pounds of Schutzen in plastic containers. One thing I never do is store any powder in anything but the original container. I don't consider blackpowder in a flask as being stored.
It’s the type of plastic, apparently there are several compositions used. Powder measure hoppers aren’t the same plastic as the material used for the shipping and retail sales of either smokeless or black.

Latest posts

Back