• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gen. Ortho Holland Williams flint lock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
figured this would be the best place to search, I was recently at the local library and inspected a pair of flint lock pistols belonging to the mentioned Gen. whom is the founder of Williamsport Md. As the pistols are in a glass case it was difficult to do measurements etc.. A search showed they were more than likely made in Birmingham England some time during 1730 to 1750. Brass barreled close to 9 in. long, walnut stocked, brass furniture with a oval silver thumb inlay. Somewhere around 58 cal. smooth bore, The quick internet search stated they were more than likely sea service weapons. The lock and barrel are both marked SHARPE with British proof marks present on the barrel. The lady suggested I stop at city hall and inquire, which was done, the person I spoke to was not very knowledgeable as to the pistols, I was told many years ago the set of pistols was a gift to the general by George Washington. while there I inquired if it would be possible to handle, measure and photograph the pistols and was informed a formal request would need to be submitted before the council members. So before I go any further would there be anyone whom would be willing to along with me to research, document and build as close as possible a correct copy of the pistol. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

What is your (approximate) location, Williamsport area? Are the pistols in Williamsport? I'm about 20 miles west of Martinsburg and might possibly be able help.

appalichian hunter,

I hope you and the library are prepared for some surprises. The pistols sound like they could not have belonged to Gen. Otho Holland Williams.

Per English Gunmakers by De Witt Bailey and Douglas A. Nie,
SHARPE, John (1811-1817, & CO. 1818-1826, no & CO.1827-1831)

Sharpe made guns, pistols, and locks for the export market. Sharpe often marked his barrels with "SHARPE EXTRA PROOF" as kind of a trade mark.
image.png

Since Otho Holland Williams died on July 15, 1794, the subject pistols were likely made after his death.

The other way to help date range the pistols is by the proof and view marks.

This is the post-1813 Birmingham proof mark.
Birmingham1813-1904Companyproof.jpg

This is the post-1813 Birmingham view mark.
Birmingham1813-1904View.jpg

The above are the typical proof and view marks found on SHARPE pistols.

There was no established standard for pre-1813 Birmingham proof and view marks, but many looked similar to these.
CBPrhMSWkAASY-E.jpg:large

If the subject pistols were 18th century pistols, they would likely have proof and view marks similar to those in the photo above.

Sometimes Birmingham makers sent their barrels to London to be proofed. Below is an example of Tower Private Proof marks – the crossed scepters and crown stamped twice – used at the Tower of London proof house from c1740 until c1810. These are the other possibility for 18th century proof marks.
image.png

Hopefully, this will help you to establish a date range for when the pistols were likely made.

Hawk eye, The pistols are in the Williamsport library on route 11 right outside of town. As I only observed them through their case it was limited as to what I could see. There was limited information as to the guns only a paper in the case stating they were presented to the town of Williamsport by the generals relatives. As stated in the beginning post I done some minor research on the computer and pieced together the acquired information so far. the next process would be find if I could track down relatives attached to the pistols and see if more information would be available. Your interest and help will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU

Latest posts

Back