• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

G'Day From Australia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kia Ora West Islander.🦘 Chris from the Eastern Southernmost island here.
Welcome to the forum. Nice Choice of Muzzleloaders to start off with. They come up every now & then. Dont get discouraged, they arnt common.
The best one I've ever seen "virtually " was on this forum & owned by an Australian, he bought it for his father. If I can find the post? I'll share it .
I post a picture of mine for your interest.
Enjoy black powder shooting, youl meet some very helpful kind & knowledgeable folk on this site that will help you no end.
Kind regards Chris
Nga mihi

Attachments

• 20220115_130852.jpg
    20220115_130852.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to the forum, I’m from Central coast NSW. Any questions? Ask away. Lots of helpful people here.

Morning from East Anglia, England, and welcome.

I've had MY Musketoon since the mid-80s' - obviously a real P-H with a serial number of 1*87. You'll need to carefully try a selection of Minié bullets to see which ones give you about 1.5 - 2 thou clearance on loading. The kick up the ar** from the 60gr load will blow out the skirts to fit the rifling at the breech end - the rifling in these early versions was progressive - deeper at the breech than at the muzzle. As Mr Minshall of the MLAGB explone, this served two purposes - firstly to get good engagement of the bullet ab initio, and secondly to retain a degree of thickness as the muzzle of the tapered barrel, making it stronger.

The service charge for the musketoon was reduced from 2.5 drams - ~68.5gr of 'fine rifle powder' [some say 2Fg, other's don't] to 60gr, but most of us, me included use somewhat less - you'll need to find that out for yourself.

Anyhow, this is probably all too much for a welcome, and no doubt it will be moved to the percussion rifle thread.

First time on any Muzzleloading forums very new to Black powder, I’m from the land down under small country town in Australia. I need all the help I can get, just looking to purchase a Parker Hale 1861 rifle musketoon artillery brand new still in the box the one made in Birmingham England in the late 70s. If anybody has any tips or tricks, I would be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks
Major
welcome from northern kentucky

First time on any Muzzleloading forums very new to Black powder, I’m from the land down under small country town in Australia. I need all the help I can get, just looking to purchase a Parker Hale 1861 rifle musketoon artillery brand new still in the box the one made in Birmingham England in the late 70s. If anybody has any tips or tricks, I would be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks
Major
Welcome aboard mate!

Thanks
Major
don't have one of those, but i do have a Birmingham made Whitworth rifle that i am considering selling soon. 451 cal with bullet molds (not the hexagonal mold but others just as good.) serial number less than 125. all the stuff to make it shoot. coming up for sale soon.

Thanks
Major

South East Queenslander here, PM for advice if you're interested, and no I dont have one for sale but I use to own one.

These rifles turn up for sale from time to time , I think a lot were brought for the looks an seldom or ever shot . A mate of mine picked up one with all the goodies off a guy who never used it and couldn't be bothered renewing his firearms licence and sold for a few hundred dollars .

I had one for ACW Cavalry reenactment, lucky enough to buy it with the Sergeants tool from a good friend here. The PH Musketoon is a quality piece but don't expect any real accuracy beyond 50 odd yards /metres, they're a lighter powder load than the PH Enfield of the same .58 calibre.

After shooting it a few times it ended up as a another Gun cabinet adornment, so I sold it a couple of years ago; retained the Sergeants tool though.

Not a bad guess. If that’d been a ticket in Lotto, you’d be rollin’.

Your Highland apparel is the giveaway for New England, I use to attend the GI Celtic Festival every year when it first got going, then our 42nd RHR 1815 Black Watch Centre Company were invited to parade there, Regimental Colours, Drummer boy and Piper; a very memorable event.

Latest posts

Back