• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gave it away last week

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
x
049_zpsoztmgvq6.jpg
[/URL][/img] Friend of mine, a flinter I hunt with, retired first of the month. I just couldn't look at that stamped metal flask in his bag any longer.
He was floored.
046_zpsfmkc0xuf_1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_0219_zpsynemro66.jpg
[/URL][/img]
IMG_0225_zpsdqx8nio7_1.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Seems odd. He has all the patience in the world for hunting, but says he has zero when it comes to building his own gun or horns.
IMG_0223_zpsmatszcag.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Your a good friend! I'm was wondering what you used for that engraving, as it looks almost stipple etched with one of those ID electric engravers.

Just curious?
:thumbsup:

Nope. The white was natural, the brown was stained .
The color red/brown on the fore end was done to match the oiled apple wood used to plug the butt. Played with polishing the stain on the flats until it looked wood grained.
Got the apple from one of my orchards. The wooden tip of the spout came from toy parts selections at a local craft shop. I think it was a doll house part, but it looked good to me.

Very nice! That was a real nice horn to start off with...better than I've probably ever worked with. I like the brown contrast as well. One other thing,I've not seen scrimshaw done in the way you describe...looks unique for sure..all in all I'd be proud to carry that horn, especially given to me by a good friend!

Ames said:
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
Nice horn. :hatsoff:

What did you use for the pins that hold the base plug in place?

Thank you.
Thanks. The end was pinned with toothpicks, sanded off and stained.

I also love using toothpicks, smeared with wood glue and lightly tapped in place they are very reliable and secure.

Beautiful work, love your attention to detail.

Thanx!
Did I mention the butt is made of two pieces?
Rather than risk messing up a nice one of a kind chunk of burl or whatever, I fit a 5/8" disk of wood into the butt. Index it with pencil marks so it will fit perfect again.
Remove and glue with a clamp to your oversized finish piece of wood.
Next day glue and peg in place, finish the end cap in place. This way your end cap covers the whole top edge of the horn rather than sanding horn at an angle where it meets the wood. :thumbsup:

Ames said:
Thank you!
But I'm old school. A needle, bright light, magnifying lens, black oil paint, good music......long winters in Maine.....
Not bad. It's the first time I scrimed a horn.

that is one awesome job of "connect the dots". :hatsoff:

That is one magnificient horn. I have never seen the stippled scrimshaw technique that you used. It is beautiful. I am going to give it as try and see what I can do with it. I am far from being an artist, so I know my result will be nothing like yours but I do want to give it a try. :thumbsup:

Back