• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gave in to the nervous nannies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe that a lot of the guys that blow down the muzzle do it partly for the shock value to bystanders, though.
I do it because I am NOT going to have a cook off because of an ember. The vast majority of BP shooters did it for years and in history and then, the aunt Mary's decided it was wrong. No thank you, I don't need it cooking off in my face -- for which you people will also try and blame on me. No thank you. Keep your participation trophys and all that. More modern leftist bs.

Why is something many folks disagree with always a leftist or communist plot or conspiracy. Many of these things are simply driven by capitalism and attorneys trying to cover someone’s behind or the result of another attorney trying to make themselves and someone else rich.

Leftist ideas are based on’ I don’t like something so you can’t do it.’
Even if we could say blowing down an empty barrel was dangerous the only person who could be hurt by it is the person doing it.
While not ‘communist’ this sort of standard in no way reflects anything more then optics.
Ml is inherently dangerous unless steps are taken to mitigate those dangers.
Rules such as not priming till gun is pointed down range at the line represents safety
Rules such as your half cock must pass test again are safety. Or not using a ramrod to drive home a blank in a military reenactment, again are safety issues.
However tilting at wind mills hurts you more then the windmills.
If you don’t want to play by the house rules go to another house.
But don’t pretend this is any thing more then ‘I don’t like it so you can’t do it’

Tenngun, I agree with the sentiment of your post except idea that if someone doesn’t agree with something another person can’t do it. There are plenty of examples from both sides of the political spectrum where one side tries to impose beliefs on the whole.

Some of you need to put down the hobby/lifestyle of muzzleloading and walk away forever. How do you cope with all the unforeseen dangers of general life? I don't care what YOU do, nor do I care what the NMLRA says is kosher.

If I shoot a muzzleloader and feel the recoil, see the smoke, see the impact on target (be it paper or steel), THEN, and only then, do as I was instructed in the mid 1980's as a young lad surrounded by experienced 'greybeards' to blow down the barrel to make sure the nipple/flash hole was clear and to extinguish any embers. How am I in any danger????? The darn powder has burnt. The ball or conical is long gone. How am I going to shoot myself in the head? If YOU don't know that your firearm has gone 'BOOM' after a deliberate trigger pull, then I don't know what to tell you.

We are surrounded by ambulance chasing lawyers who protect the dumb. Don't fall prey to their antics. If YOU don't want to blow down the barrel after a shot, then fine. But If I do, leave me to it. It's my life I'm risking according to some of you, not yours.
Touche!

OK. i am going to break the promise i made myself and respond to a contentious discussion.
HI my name is deerstalker and i blow down the barrel of my muzzleloader. whew! i feel so much better admitting my sin!
also i would like someone to explain to me how a tube down the bore and then into my mouth is safer in the impossible event of a discharge.
Hot gas directed into my mouth and esophagus, then expanding into my lungs turning them into fried fritters via a tube is going to make me wish a ball had gone through my head.
I never thought of that but it is an excellent point

Leftist ideas are based on’ I don’t like something so you can’t do it.’
Even if we could say blowing down an empty barrel was dangerous the only person who could be hurt by it is the person doing it.
While not ‘communist’ this sort of standard in no way reflects anything more then optics.
Ml is inherently dangerous unless steps are taken to mitigate those dangers.
Rules such as not priming till gun is pointed down range at the line represents safety
Rules such as your half cock must pass test again are safety. Or not using a ramrod to drive home a blank in a military reenactment, again are safety issues.
However tilting at wind mills hurts you more then the windmills.
If you don’t want to play by the house rules go to another house.
But don’t pretend this is any thing more then ‘I don’t like it so you can’t do it’
^^^^THIS with emphasis added. If you don't like the house rules, don't go to the house.

Or not using a ramrod to drive home a blank in a military reenactment, again are safety issues
Did you know that in Europe, they DO use a ramrod and don't have the problems we do here. I believe ours stemmed from the early days of reenacting -- before safety was worked out. Just a thought.

Still, I will continue to blow down the barrel when shooting. Not reenacting mind you.

Did you know that in Europe, they DO use a ramrod and don't have the problems we do here. I believe ours stemmed from the early days of reenacting -- before safety was worked out. Just a thought.
Self discipline and training.
I have far too many times when they bring in a 'visitor' or 'potential new member', often a young kid; dress him in some borrowed clothing, hand him a borrowed rifle, quick 10 min class how to load, then - "Forward Boys! Shoot'em Up!". .....and yes, there are the seasoned ones who simply don't pay attention and get caught up in all "WhoooYa, Hoot, Hoot!" Of the moment...from my observation; generally the one who dont or never actually 'shoot' their firearms, just blow smoke once a month in the warm season then stick it in the closet. IMO from my observations over the years.

I understand the example for young or inexperienced people when it comes to blowing down the barrel. But if I have just fired my rifle and it's still in my hands, what's the danger? It's not like I'm picking up stranger's rifles and blowing down the barrels.

The 25 yard matches I built my rifle for start in October, the only way you can blow down a barrel there is if you use a tube. I have no problem with the rule, it's their game in their yard, so I'll abide by their rules when I'm there.

Funny thing about all this is....

A ML club I joined a couple months ago that IS affiliated with the NMLRA all but 'requires' you to blow down the barrel after a shot when shooting. It's not written rule but it is greatly encouraged. Nearly everyone does this. Men, women, youth. They consider it not only tradition, but safety as well.

Well, seems its either one side of the fence or the other. While I have shot at both indoor and outdoor ranges, the last time was probably 30 years ago. I've been very blessed to have enough land, far enough out, to have my own range. Sometimes I blow down the barrel after I shoot, sometimes I don't. And there's no one there to comment.

I don't have any data about disastrous results of blowing down the barrel. I don't know when and where the issue became controversial. I don't care what people do individually.

For me, it is very simple. I do follow the same safety rules when I shoot muzzle loaders as when I shoot more modern firearms. Just as mailemaker says earlier in this thread, there are the 4 top rules of shooting that have been ingrained in me for decades. I believe that there are very few of us who would violate the rules.
  1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
  2. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
  3. Never point a firearm at anything you don't want to destroy.
  4. Know your target and what lies beyond it.
I taught these rules to my son and to his friends. I follow them religiously. If someone doesn't follow these rules, then I won't shoot with them, whether it be a 1760 replica flintlock or a 155 mm Howitzer.

I don't have any data about disastrous results of blowing down the barrel. I don't know when and where the issue became controversial. I don't care what people do individually.

For me, it is very simple. I do follow the same safety rules when I shoot muzzle loaders as when I shoot more modern firearms. Just as mailemaker says earlier in this thread, there are the 4 top rules of shooting that have been ingrained in me for decades. I believe that there are very few of us who would violate the rules.
I taught these rules to my son and to his friends. I follow them religiously. If someone doesn't follow these rules, then I won't shoot with them, whether it be a 1760 replica flintlock or a 155 mm Howitzer.
Do you treat every gun like it’s loaded?
When was the last time you poured powder or rammed ball down a loaded gun?
When was the last time you poured water down a loaded gun?
Did you ever practice dry fire? Put a target on your wall and ‘shoot’ with a wood flint or leather cap. Did you want to shoot your wall?
Ever pull a ball?
All these, except the last are done with guns you know…. Not guess, but know to be empty.
Safety rules make a lot of sense, but we all bend the rules when circumstances call for it.
A ml, single barreled, just fired is a club, you could kill some one with it, but not by anything that comes out of the barrel, and you would have a real tough time killing yourself

I have had some real world experiences with the 155's. If you can show me someone who is able to blow down the barrel of one after a shot I'll be really impressed. On second thought one should never underestimate the genius and ingenuity of the American G.I. Especially at the rank of E-4 and below if there is a perceived short cut that can be taken..... :ghostly:

Do you treat every gun like it’s loaded?
I do. Even if I have to bend the rules, I approach the firearm as if it was loaded, then do what I have do with caution.
When was the last time you poured powder or rammed ball down a loaded gun?
Never did that.
When was the last time you poured water down a loaded gun?
Never did that.
Did you ever practice dry fire? Put a target on your wall and ‘shoot’ with a wood flint or leather cap. Did you want to shoot your wall?
I've done that many times with modern firearms - very carefully, and only in my basement with the concrete foundation as a wall. I stopped dry firing as soon as I had a laser cartridge and target. I dry fire my muzzle loaders only after working on them. I first put a gaged ramrod down the barrel to see if there is a ball in it. I then put my borescope down the barrel for confirmation. Then I dry fire.
Ever pull a ball?
Only if I can't blow it out with a CO2 unit or by removing a nipple, putting powder in, replacing the nipple and shooting it out. All with the firearm facing downrange.
All these, except the last are done with guns you know…. Not guess, but know to be empty.
Safety rules make a lot of sense, but we all bend the rules when circumstances call for it.
That is correct. There are extraordinary circumstances when there is no other choice but to bend the rules. And it must be done very carefully. But under normal conditions, on a regular basis, I follow all the rules.
A ml, single barreled, just fired is a club, you could kill some one with it, but not by anything that comes out of the barrel, and you would have a real tough time killing yourself
I may be overly cautious, but I wouldn't put my head over the bore of a muzzle loader even after firing. If someone chooses to do it, I won't criticize them. It's their choice. But I choose not to do it.

Back