• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Garret Sharps Carbine.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have one of these. If any one has any experience shooting them I’d appreciate any information you can give me.
Tried mine out yesterday.
Won’t fire with CCI musket caps unless I dribble a few kernels of 3F into the nipple first.
Each shot locked up the falling block. To open I’d removed the cross pin latch then tap the block out with a plastic hammer. Clean lube repeat.
For lack of any other I’m using a 360 grain bullet designed for a Burnside Carbine. 54 caliber (.558). It’s short so the chamber will take a full 65 grains of 2F. To much powder causing all that fouling. ??
Shot five rounds and thought I’d quit until I got some information.
I did cast a cerrosafe casting of the chamber and first inch of the throat and bore. .558 is ball park on diameter.
PM or open forum. Any input appreciated. Hope I don’t have a rather expensive wall hanger here.

Unless you enjoy the punishment 65 grains is far too much. It isn't necessary to fill the chamber. Forty grains +/- is a good load for accuracy. Ditch the CCI caps and get some RWS if you can find them or Schuetzen caps. Sharps have a long and convoluted fire channel and it's important to clean it very thoroughly after each session. Charlie Hahn told me the best nipple for my Sharps was a well used nipple from one of my Springfield muskets and to use 2f.

I would recommend using a cartridge of some form rather than loose powder. You'll find a lot of discussion on that here as well as modifications to the breech block. If you open the breech on an unfired Sharps always keep the barrel pointed straight up when you do. It's possible to get powder in the forearm around the spring if you don't and also by carelessly loading loose powder. Enough powder in there and it's possible to blow the forearm apart.

Back