• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Garlic Scapes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday while walking through the garden I noticed my garlic had begun to "head" out. So I picked some of the scapes and sautéed them in butter. They were quite good with a mild flavor....
However, the upper most pointy part of the scape should be discarded as it will dry out and become very tough....

Anyone else eat them?

Here's a stock photo so you can understand what I'm talking about...

XEcljxe.jpg

Fred, in about a month they will look like this....
ldjRCbV.jpg

A seed head full of seeds or bulbils.....they are like mini garlic cloves...The entire garlic plant is edible...

Didn't think garlic could look so exotic. I use a lot of garlic when cooking....and it and onions are mandatory for many of the dishes I prepare.

Presently getting ready to make a paella for this coming Sat.....paella parties are always happy times. One of 2 meats {the other is chunks of pork shoulder} that are used in paella is chicken legs which will be "garlicked" w/ a lemon, white wine and parsley marinade. A lot of sliced garlic is used in the marinade and the reason is that I just want the flavor and not fine bits of garlic on the chicken while searing. Often use a "press", but not for this.

For a couple of years now, the quality of garlic has been lousy....have bought it from 3 different stores and all 3 stores must have the same lousy supplier.

Again...thanks for the garlic education.....Fred

For a couple of years now, the quality of garlic has been lousy....have bought it from 3 different stores and all 3 stores must have the same lousy supplier.

Probably California Garlic{most is)... kept in storage until just before it goes south ....then they ship it out to stores in refrigerated or insulated trucks that keep it at to low of a temperature and if it isn't sprouted by the time it gets there the cold temps in the produce section and bright lights will make it sprout.
Once garlic sprouts it tastes terrible.

Most produce managers don't know how to tell when garlic should be taken off the shelf...they would rather sell the customer junk than lose money.

Bigger cloves are sweeter and less pungent than smaller ones...
I've been growing my own for the 20 years....
Garlic is just about the easiest thing to grow....

Your description of how garlic deteriorates is probably right on.....some of the cloves are soft and many of the cloves have sprouted...anyways w/ the bulbs I buy.

Have begun to use a quality garlic powder, but the taste isn't the same as good, fresh garlic.

The suppliers must control the market because the price for this second rate garlic is way too high for this defective product...Thanks for your input.....Fred

Try shopping at a farmers market or small organic type grocery store....Look for a hardneck variety instead of a softneck variety....if it's softnecked it almost certainly comes from California, especially in chain stores.
When you buy your garlic it should have no visible signs of sprouting and if you can cut a clove in half and inspect it for any "green", even better.
If the garlic heads still have dirt on them that is a good sign.. Dirt forms a protective coating and makes storage longer....same as potatoes.

I store my garlic in the dark or out of direct sunlight between 60-65 degrees and it easily keeps for 9 months before sprouting...

The suppliers must control the market because the price for this second rate garlic is way too high for this defective product...Thanks for your input.....Fred

Most large growers sell to large wholesalers, who sell to many large grocery store chains....So...YES different named stores all have the same junk because it all comes from the same place and is handled in the same improper manner....

Garlic powder

Buyer beware...much of that stuff is imported from china.....so read your label...

DadGumIt!
Mr. colorado Clyde, just checked our jar and danged if the McCormick brand isn't imported from China. Never bothered to look before. Who would have thought?
Now am going to have to look for a different source, but thank you just the same. Any you might care to recommend?
Best wishes,
WW

Can't really recommend a brand you just have to read the labels.....But I will say this....Don't buy your garlic powder at the worlds largest Chinese importer......AKA, Walmart. I've even found Chinese canned corn at wally world. :shocked2: :doh:

Although at times I do use garlic powder, the "garlicky" taste is muted compared to fresh garlic.

I use fresh garlic 2 different ways.....one is w/ the use of a garlic press and the other is sliced.

The Italians use sliced garlic and remove it before serving...just want the flavor. I do the same depending on what's being prepared.

Most of the time a garlic press is used and the garlic disappears.

Actually, the finer the garlic is pressed or cut, the more flavor is achieved...but you guys all know that.

I'll be making a paella shortly and the chicken legs are marinaded for 24 hrs in a plastic bag. The marinade is simply a lot of sliced garlic, a pinch of salt, lemon juice, finely chopped parsley and white dry wine. Sliced garlic is used because garlic shouldn't be clinging to the chicken when it's being seared....it burns and produces an "off taste". The pork pieces are treated similarly but the lemon juice is omitted.

Paella is a natural for an open fire....the pans used are quite large and the stove top burners are way too small. I use a charcoal grill so the entire pan is above heat.

What would food be w/o garlic and onions?......Fred

Back