• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening 2023

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N.E. Missouri's gardening season's ON! Dry spell enabled crop planting & predicted storm ended up a nice rain. 3-point, 6' tiller behind my 60's little Ford 3000 got 1 1/2 acres worked up in record time. Management (wife) fell off the back porch last year, breaking her arm at the shoulder which messed up our gardening. This year, she got a heart Pacemaker, so we're good to go.

Visited our Amish nursery this week loaded up on locally-produced and therefor acclimated plants & seeds. Still have about a pickup bed of henhouse shovelings to spread and we're good to go. Good luck to everyone!

Here Pa. The old saying is don’t put your plants in the ground until after Mother’s Day, I plant tomatoes, Japanese cucumbers for sweet and sour, and some peppers. Makes me feel useful in some GardeNing way. Ha Ha..

The farmers around here went with a thing called minimum tillage. I'm thinking about being a little more "minimum" in the gardening department.I'm getting older and I feel that I was putting too much effort into it because I liked it (and still do). But my get-up-and-go got up and went.
Most everyone around here farms "no till" except for the Amish. Many, maybe most, of them use a moldboard plow behind a team. A disadvantage of no till is you need to apply herbicide before planting, or disc the ground.

I have been planning on trying the Sweet 100s. I have heard good things about them. But they are hybrids. I've been planting mostly heirloom varieties for the past few years.Plus my wife loves the flavor of Large Red Cherry tomatos which just happen to be Heirloom. But one of these days I will give the Sweet 100s a try.Oh, are they determinate or indeterminate? My garden has gotten so small that I only have room for some of the indeterminate heirloom varieties , and not too many of those.
They’re indeterminate. I give them the same space as a regular plant.

I might stop by the nursery tomorrow and see if they have any Sweet 100s left. I might could squeeze one or two in. My garden is limited on space this year. In containers maybe? It is very possible there are no tomato plants left in the nursery. Around here most plants are already in the ground. It will become very "warm" in about a month.

Our season is short and compacted in the North Rocky's, mid May to late Aug early Sept. Seen it frost in the 3 rd week of Aug.

I might stop by the nursery tomorrow and see if they have any Sweet 100s left. I might could squeeze one or two in. My garden is limited on space this year. In containers maybe? It is very possible there are no tomato plants left in the nursery. Around here most plants are already in the ground. It will become very "warm" in about a month.
I have been successful with tomatoes in containers. But be mindful of watering.

I used clay pots. Not the same shape but probably about the same volume as a big drywall paste bucket. If you use clay, line with a plastic bag so the clay doesn't soak up your water.
Don't Clay pots have drain holes? I put down layers of leaves in the bottom of the pots. It seems to make the pots a little "less heavy"(but top heavy). Less volume of soil I guess. It's not advisable but sometimes those containers need moving. A coffee filter or two under the leaves seems to help the dirt from being washed away as well.

Got real warm here in Indiana but little rain. My asparagus has started to come up, slow but coming up. Now it's raining but cold weather settled in for a few days that will slow it down some more
Glad to hear you're getting that much needed rain, I hope we do. Last year my garden flat burned up.My Dad (a cotton farmer) used to call them "million dollar showers".

Today a thinned out my pole beans and yellow squash I planted. And put my cane poles up for the beans to run on. Not real happy with the corn patch right now, only have about 15% germination at this time, but it could be the cool temperatures we’re having now. The tomatoes are doing good considering the temps. It was 43 this morning, same tonight and have some 40’s forecast for next week too.

Attachments

• 8F40B343-CF93-4153-96CA-19F31765AF12.jpeg
    8F40B343-CF93-4153-96CA-19F31765AF12.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
Is a 5 gallon bucket big enough? Tomatoes like to spread their roots.
By doing some serious attentive care giving I've had lots of great five gallon bucket tomatoes.
And learned my lessons too.

Snowed on us today. Soon we'll be up and running.

Well it's getting to be close to that time of year again. Are we going to discuss gardening like last year? I started several varieties of heirloom tomatoes from seed some weeks back.They are still not quite big enough for transplanting, but getting there. Plus it's not officially spring yet.(March 20). But it is creeping up on us.
Planted our first tomatoes and peppers this week. Already eating lettuce, asparagus, onions and wild greens. Planting sweet potatoes this week also. Started some willow cuttings for herbal aspirin use.

I’m behind this year because I completely redid our kitchen over the past couple months, so I didn’t have the time or space to start seeds indoors, so I’ll be buying plants this year.
Sunday I set out 350 onion starts, mostly Patterson with smaller numbers of Red Wing and Walla Walla. The garlic I planted last fall is now about 6”.
43D8AA9D-976F-487E-A809-408435F184B8.jpeg

We like those Japanese no burp cukes too.
I'm awfully tempted to still put some of those in if any transplants are still available around here. My wife is very fond of "burpless" cucumbers. But they like a trellis or fence or something to climb on don't they?

On my next trip "to town",I'll stop by the nursery and see if they have any transplants left.Planting season is pretty much over down here.I am pressed for space this year but thankfully cucumbers don't use alot of space, at least not the climbing kind.

Back