• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening 2023

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a break from the shop and planted my corn patch. Luckily I got less than 1/10” of rain the last couple of days. We were spared the horrendous tornadoes that tore things up north of here. I used my hand cranked spreader to put out some pelletized lime and more fertilizer. Then I hit it again with the disc. I hand dropped the seeds in the disc furrows, I either ended up with 10 rows, the patch is roughly 30’ x 95’. Finished by going over it with the Culti-Packer. Left small area bare up front to plant yellow squash. Was glad to get this done as it will rain later in the week.

Attachments

• 5FEC8DC3-BE12-4C32-914B-446A61FAB840.jpeg
    5FEC8DC3-BE12-4C32-914B-446A61FAB840.jpeg
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DCDCBA16-E9AF-4DBF-AE08-01769F6AE108.jpeg
    DCDCBA16-E9AF-4DBF-AE08-01769F6AE108.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3CE9F60A-9DB7-4068-B74C-297A6AE45FB8.jpeg
    3CE9F60A-9DB7-4068-B74C-297A6AE45FB8.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
I have a few tomato plants in small containers in case I need to replant any. One of them was getting way too big for the coffee can it was in. So I put it in a tub sized pot. All of my Large Red Cherrys are from the same batch of seeds and at the planted at the same time but this one is twice the size. You can bet I'll be saving seed from this one.

Last edited:
SO...,

I've got the string beans, the cayenne and rainbow hot peppers, plus the bell peppers, as well as the yellow pear tomatoes going now for about a week. I checked last evening, and I can see sprouts starting to push up!

I bought a bulk order of 30mm, Jiffy brand, peat pellets, and rehydrated sixteen of them to start. (That's about a 5-year supply for me) These expand to about the size and shape of half a can of "energy drink". They were like 100 pellets for around $14.00 so that's 14per pellet... rehydrate, plant a seed in them as a starter indoors, then in a short time I will "harden the plants" and then transplant to the outside.

I have to start squash, green onions, and a Caribbean pepper called WiriWiri yet... waiting for those Caribbean seeds to arrive. The WiriWiri is from Guyana, where my wife hails from, and it does have a unique flavor, so I grow these for her, my daughter, and my wife's relatives.

I will also plant Cherokee Purple tomatoes, but I buy those as plants from the local hardware. ONE it saves me some time, and TWO it helps to keep the local store supplying ready plants in case I get bogged down one Spring, instead of me buying from the big-box-store.

I'm ambitious so far this year, and want to do some potatoes..., or I might try some South American Oca...., I do "square foot gardening" and also use self-watering-plant-containers, to ensure if I get stuck at work during a heat wave, my crop doesn't wilt and die.

I just get a huge kick out of putting these tiny little things called seeds into soil, and then tasty stuff grows from them. Same feeling I had as when I did it for the first time in 2nd grade....

LD

I got 22 little plants in the ground and watered them with a 2 gallon watering can yesterday. Something (maybe the lawn mower too?) threw my back out again. One wouldn't think 2 gallons of "manure tea" would be that heavy. It's gonna be a small garden this year.

My wife and I have been "down" with a stomach virus for the last few days.I didn't even want to look at some or most foods.Unfortunately we let the milk expire. I don't normally waste food but I had to get rid of about half a gallon of milk. I poured it around half a dozen of my tomato plants. Not only did it cool the roots but it gave them some much needed calcium.

We've got our seeds and suds starts, building mulch up. But just cold for us, snowed all day the 04/13 just seeing bare ground. Today's high low 30's!!

Last edited:
My beans, squash, and some of the corn is up. The tomato plants look good. But now we’re in a cool spell, mostly 50’s-60’s. Monday & Tuesday lows in the mid 40’s. So not a lot of growth going on. Our little container garden back home in Louisiana is doing well.

Attachments

• 25948B20-49AE-4EAF-9835-536CEA47C258.jpeg
    25948B20-49AE-4EAF-9835-536CEA47C258.jpeg
    931.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4F153C78-B423-4A15-9F56-4F97C84BF62A.jpeg
    4F153C78-B423-4A15-9F56-4F97C84BF62A.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 77CBDC98-F3EE-4E79-9BA4-AF0080619F18.jpeg
    77CBDC98-F3EE-4E79-9BA4-AF0080619F18.jpeg
    729 KB · Views: 0
  • 4A80A3A8-BDE8-41B0-A355-7E73AB9BA306.jpeg
    4A80A3A8-BDE8-41B0-A355-7E73AB9BA306.jpeg
    744.8 KB · Views: 0
Not to try and top you but several of my tomato plants are already showing some blooms. And I think I see a yellow flower on one of my squash (straight neck)

Last edited:
I talked about a cherry tomato plant on post #103 that I'm planning on saving the seeds from. Let's hope it also posses that "great-flavor" gene.It appears to be an early maturer,already blooming, and is twice the size of the others.

Last edited:
I talked about a cherry tomato plant on post #103 that I'm planning on saving the seeds from. Let's hope it also posses that "great-flavor" gene.It appears to be an early maturer,already blooming, and is twice the size of the others.
Not sure how they would do where you are, but l’ve been planting “Sweet 100” cherry tomatoes at home for quite a few years. Pretty close to your latitude and they are good and produce well.

Not sure how they would do where you are, but l’ve been planting “Sweet 100” cherry tomatoes at home for quite a few years. Pretty close to your latitude and they are good and produce well.
I have been planning on trying the Sweet 100s. I have heard good things about them. But they are hybrids. I've been planting mostly heirloom varieties for the past few years.Plus my wife loves the flavor of Large Red Cherry tomatos which just happen to be Heirloom. But one of these days I will give the Sweet 100s a try.Oh, are they determinate or indeterminate? My garden has gotten so small that I only have room for some of the indeterminate heirloom varieties , and not too many of those.

Latest posts

Back