• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Garage Sale Find!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN284

32 Cal.
Reaction score
At a garage sale today I found and purchased a percussion pistol, marked NORBERTO ARIZMENDI EIBAR MADE IN SPAIN. Barrel about 9-3/8 inches. Also marked 12 m/m. Appears unfired; the nipple has very slight peening from dry firing. Lots of rust in the barrel but seems to be a smoothbore, and the rust came out easily. I figured I did quite well for $25.00!! Any suggestions for ball size to try with this, Im thinking .45 PRB. Beginning load suggestions would be appreciated, also nipple size. Currently I shoot a .54 Hawken style flinter and a .45 CVA percussion rifle, so I have some vague ideas about what to expect. Thanks to all! Tom

NICE! Only ones I ever saw at a Garage Sale were two spain revlvers (brass) marked antique originals and were asking $435. apeice!

No clue where to start on RB grab yer balls and some patches and see whats snug. Probably 20 grains 3f to start? I would shoot from a controlled rest with a string the frst time, wanna know this isnt some wall hanger walmart gun with weak materials. PHOTOS are always welcome ya know!

NICE! Only ones I ever saw at a Garage Sale were two spain revlvers (brass) marked antique originals and were asking $435. apeice!

No clue where to start on RB grab yer balls and some patches and see whats snug. Probably 20 grains 3f to start? I would shoot from a controlled rest with a string the frst time, wanna know this isnt some wall hanger walmart gun with weak materials. PHOTOS are always welcome ya know!
Photos are a must with a deal like that!

So here are three pics of my find! Tom

Attachments

• 100_2394.JPG
    100_2394.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_2395.JPG
    100_2395.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_2396.JPG
    100_2396.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
If you are interested in the origin of this brand (Norberto Arizmendi), It is quite difficult to find documentation on these small Spanish gunsmiths, especially when they are from the Basque province of Spain: the documents are in the Basque language and rarely in Spanish. I had this little text translated by my wife who is Basque (French Basque) and I tried to translate it myself to make it a little more understandable for everyone... Of course, there must be quite a few mistakes, but I'll leave the pleasure of spelling correction to you...
""In 1917, after training at the prestigious Armeria Eskola in Eibar, the gunsmith Norberto Arizmendi created the company “Sociedad Industrial Norberto Arizmendi & Cía”. Arizmendi's goal was to supply a growing market whose customers were hungry for quality and reliability in shotguns, air rifles, and pistols. The vision of management combined with a highly qualified staff led to the expansion of: forging, tools, supplies, automotive spare parts, tank parts and other military equipment supplies. The plant was located in Isasi, but a few years later they relocated to Otaola street, remaining there for the next 50 years. The company went from a private company to a cooperative society changing its name to Farmi SAL, but for management reasons after being acquired by investors it ended with the extinction of Farmi. With the illusion of continuing to work, the workers, together with a new investor, created Montajes Usartza SAL and Eibar Airgun Trading Company SL which, currently located in Elgeta, work together manufacturing and marketing the Norica brand to more than 50 countries around the world, and carrying the “Made in Eibar” insignia all over the world.""

armurerie_basque.jpg
acf3d3.jpg

You got a lot for your $25. It looks pretty good and seems to be free of dings and scratches. It sounds like a .457" ball (patched) would be a good place to start.

Well, I tried a .45 cal ball that fits my CVA Kentucky and also my Pedersoli, but it sits on top of the barrel like an ice cream scoop on a cone! Rats! However a 3/8" drill bit is a loose fit and when I patch it with mink oil it is a good snug fit. So does a .40 RB sound like a good fit? And the 12 m/m mark on the barrel must be a goof--up from the factory I guess. Thanks to all for the nice comments. Any suggestions on the cap size for the nipple? Tom

Frequently the Spanish pistols were made for shooting with .440 bullets and patches .013" thick. I have two (Jukar and Dikar) like that and stamped 11.4mm for one and 12mm for the second (brand stamp, three circles, number, proof mark, and caliber on the rear left side)...
It doesn't mean that yours is absolutely like this but try it just to see how it works...
Could also be in .36 cal, but stamped 12mm it could be a bit surprising...

Last edited:
A lot of the Spanish pistols are marked 45 or 44 caliber. What we have seen is that they require a 0.433 ball especially if it is a rifled barrel. They seem to have confused the groove diameter with the caliber. By the time we get to the lands and add a patch, there is only room for a 0.433 ball.

Back