GAR Re-Enactors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
Who would have thought back in 1960 when the Civil War Centennial started, that one day six decades later there would be guys RE-ENACTING being Civil War Veterans? Lots of older men are aged out of active re-enacting, and can now enjoy the comraderie (sp.?) of re-enacting by portraying vets. I was told there were over 60 enactors at the recent Remembrance Day Parade in Gettysburg, with drummer, fifers, etc. The black Stetsons the GAR guys wore are available, too, at Regimental Quartermaster, I believe.

Rancocas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Several of my ancestors were in the Union army. Later, they must have been members of the Grand Army of the Republic because I have several GAR medals, ribbons, and mementos of a large veteran's GAR gathering in Sea Girt, New Jersey in the 1880's that were handed down to me.

Reaction score
My wife has a picture of her great grandmother at a GAR encampment. It was at Gettysburg Pa. At one time I was a member of Sons of Union VETERANS LODGE IN GETTYSBRG Pa. My great great grandfather served with the 7th Md. HER GRANDFATHER WAS WITH THE POTOMAC HOME BRIGADE.