• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Game Keepers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
Bored and browsing, a dangerous combination for sure, I ended up on Tracks website. Drifting around I came across the possibles bags. What caught my eye was the bags with game keepers. Nice to look at on the wall, but how do you attach squirrel or grouse to the rings? Tie them? Wont that get in the way of opening the bag to reload?
Personally I stash my game in a large game pocket in the back of my vest. Blaze orange and not HC, but I cant see moving around with game swinging by my side. I was just curious if anyone on here hunted with one.
If you do, have ye any pics of what it looks like loaded up after the hunt?

You make a loop, and pass it through the ring on the end. This makes a loop that will close when pulled. You put the animal's head through the loop that you made, with the loop around the neck of the animal, and cinch it closed. Gravity holds the critter in place.

Game Keeper Loop Use.jpg

LD

My game carrier from L.L.Bean is a little different, not having a (noisy ?) rings - and it's carried via slipping one half through a belt.

The straps have a slit near the ends, which are manipulated as above to make a noose.

mBIMBEnl.jpg

You make a loop, and pass it through the ring on the end. This makes a loop that will close when pulled. You put the animal's head through the loop that you made, with the loop around the neck of the animal, and cinch it closed. Gravity holds the critter in place.

View attachment 17165

LD
Ahhhh. Thank you.

I made my own, just a piece of rawhide bootlace tied to the ring on my shooting bag with a loop tied in the other end. Works just like the ones with the metal rings, but did not cost anything as I used lacing I had kicking around.

You can easily make one with leather boot laces and connect using a Marlin Spike Hitch knot around the neck of game. That's what the metal loops replicate but just having leather is quieter.

IMG_0008.jpeg

I like my game to cool quickly and don't use pockets. With squirrels I skin them while still warm, its' just easier. This lets them cool and keeps them fairly clean.
Robby

Latest posts

Back