• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Galef & Son 45cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Came up on a local online auction. Went cheap enough to play with.
Went to pick it up today. Paid for it and immediately dropped the ram rod down the barrel and yep it stopped short. Showed it to the auctioneer and his wife and he all he had to say was it does not have a cap on it. Don't have a puller that small - will have to wait for another day. 2.JPG 1.JPG

That doesn't guarantee that a powder charge or a ball isn't hiding down there. I'd try to blow it out with CO2 or compressed air, and watch where it goes. You may want the end of the ram rod back.

Had to make a extended drill and tap but I got it out.
4.JPG
Now to make the hammer hit the nipple more center is another challenge.

Took the gun out for practice today.
If you gently squeeze the trigger it catches on half cock.
If you jerk the trigger the gun will go off.
Any ideas?

You either have to add a recess and a fly to lift the sear over the half cock notch or reshape the tumbler. Or fill the half cock notch. You have a tumbler that is not properly shaped so that the half cock notch is not in the path of the sear as it falls. Your trigger finger should hold it off the tumbler enough to clear the half cock notch, This is a task for a gunsmith who knows about the needs of a muzzle loading shooter to be able to anneal the tumbler, recut the half cock notch, reharden the tumbler and temper for toughness.

Have you taken the lock off the see if there is the recess for a fly? Often they made only one lock and the one installed has a fly. Have you checked to see if the fly is free and moves easily in the recess?

And @Pietro is correct.

Because, traditionally, they were carried loaded just like a CCW handgun is (should be) carried today.

Yes, Caplocks and Flintlocks were carried capped and loaded on half cock 150++ years ago. Not considered a safe practice by today`s standards considering how one drop on the hammer can break a half cock notch and fire your single shot the same as if resting on the cap. My question refers to the here and now...c

Took the action off today.
It was so full of black axle grease looking stuff and the fact it was 30F yesterday pretty sure I found my problem.
action.JPG

Back