• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gained the favor of club owner towards ML's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I previously wrote that I had a hard time finding a place to allow a ML shotgun for bird hunting on private property. I finally found a club that came up with a way to fit me within their rules. Although still hesitant, I typically hunt by myself with my own dog so that helped them give in. A big concern was the "Safe Zone(s)" where a gun is supposed to have the action open. Although we had a plan to put a colored ribbon on the muzzles I haven't had to use it because I don't really encounter other people during the weekdays and times that I go. Today the owner did have a huge compliment. He said he heard back from the guides that have seen me out walking, hunting and shooting. The first thing he said he like was that the gun was not "ready to shoot". He means because the hammers are not cocked. He said that most of the accidents in the past were from someone "snap shooting" or "quick shooting" when they saw a flash they perceived to be a bird. He said he now realizes that I have to be very intentional just prior to shooting and the little delay could be a good thing. Next, he likes that there are no hulls or wads left behind. There are a ton of empty shells lying about even though they ask that people pick them up. Moreso, I see a ton a plastic wads scattered around. Whatever comes out of my muzzles is biodegradable to a large extent and not noticeable. He also said people reloading quickly and getting careless caused some issues. He now knows how methodical and intentional reloading is. Overall, he said he really appreciates that I chose to use a ML shotgun and after seeing me this season he wishes more people would consider it. I'm glad this worked out and really hadn't thought about or considered these things, but he's right. I offered to bring two ML's and introduce people on the skeet range and come along in the field for one of their guided hunts if customers were interested in a black powder bird hunt. He's going to spread the word and offer that as an option.

That's excellent to hear. I must confess,one of the things I do not like with a modern shotgun ( and i use one a lot ) is the plastic wads. If I could find a biodegradable option I'd be happy to use it.

I agree that one of the prime advantages of muzzleloaders over suppository shot shooters is the biodegradable nature of the wadding..and no plastic shell casing.

I frequently hike a public wetlands area near my home. While I understand that hunters are never going to locate every shell ejected from their gun, I see many laying around that are easily seen. I'm not sure many of these folks even attempt to look at all. Perhaps the same guys that leave their empty shell boxes and "drink" cans laying where they sat.

I miss brass cases as well.. for those backwards loaders. You don't toss them aside carelessly and they sure are purty.
I use brass cases,unfortunately ( and I know this sounds odd here ) so far I've only successfully used blackpowder in them,and I really don't like using it

Well done.

Today the owner did have a huge compliment...., The first thing he said he like was that the gun was not "ready to shoot". He means because the hammers are not cocked. He said that most of the accidents in the past were from someone "snap shooting" or "quick shooting" ..., I have to be very intentional just prior to shooting and the little delay could be a good thing. Next, he likes that there are no hulls or wads left behind. ..., I see a ton a plastic wads scattered around. Whatever comes out of my muzzles is biodegradable to a large extent and not noticeable. He also said people reloading quickly and getting careless caused some issues. He now knows how methodical and intentional reloading is. ...,

These are excelling "selling points" folks.., for any of us that encounter the same reluctance in our areas, and thank you to @Sparkitoff for this follow-up report that shares these points, that he gathered from the observations of a third party! I too, learned some good info that would not have occurred to me, even though I shoot a Pedersoli 20 SxS. :thumb:

LD

That's what I never understood about lead shot ban over wetlands etc. Now we have tons of plastic everywhere, much better 🤦‍♂️
They would argue that only the pellets get eaten by feeding ducks as they're small and sink to the bottom,whereas the plastic wads,at the very least,are not small and easily swallowed by feeding waterfowl. But I agree,the plastic is just as bad a pollutant if not worse

Sorry Pete. I knew that. :doh:

None of the Euro manufacturers peddle their components down under?
Not as far as I know. It would be tempting to order some in though,but I'd imagine it would cost an arm and a leg

They would argue that only the pellets get eaten by feeding ducks as they're small and sink to the bottom,whereas the plastic wads,at the very least,are not small and easily swallowed by feeding waterfowl. But I agree,the plastic is just as bad a pollutant if not worse
The wads end up in the sea! Our beaches are strewn with them.
Most European producers are making biodegradable wads but just what they do break down into I'm not sure! Probably small enough elements to royally screw up the basic beginning of the food chain!!

The wads end up in the sea! Our beaches are strewn with them.
Most European producers are making biodegradable wads but just what they do break down into I'm not sure! Probably small enough elements to royally screw up the basic beginning of the food chain!!
Thats pretty much it,IF they're plastic of any form. But if they're some form of cellulose they should be ok. I think the ones shown above are basically cardboard

Back